10/16/22 08:09 PM
10/16/22 08:09 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
I hopped in my friend Kirk's 2018 Charger Daytona and we hit a deserted two lane blacktop in the middle of southwest Texas. We were a few miles out of town. A C8 Corvette had just rocketed down the road and we took off after him. There was no traffic around, just the two of us and that Corvette ripping down the road. 100 mph blew by in a heartbeat. After climbing to 110 mph, we coasted around a bend in the road before ripping up to 120. That Corvette was just a glint in the distance. Refusing to be one-upped, we kept the hammer down in pursuit.
The little two lane blacktop started to twist and turn. Kirk was driving like a man possessed. Knowing that I am more experienced in high speed, I started calling out the curves and when it was okay for him to cross the double yellow line. With only that Vette in sight, we had the road to ourselves.
The 5.7 hemi was howling as we started to get into some hills. I was looking far down the road, watching as the Vette maintained his lead. The big Charger hunkered down and blasted over the blind crests, giving us a roller coaster ride. Then, as Kirk was fixated on bagging that car, I spotted it. The chopper. It was coming at us several hundred feet up and off to one side of the road. With nothing but rocks, scrub, and an open road, there was only one thing to do. Hammer down!
We rocketed down the road with the chopper in pursuit. Looking up, I saw the Vette shooting around a corner at the top of a rise. Within seconds we, too, were racing up that cut hillside with the road disappearing to the left. Topping that rise showed the road swerving through a series of curves that left the Continentals clawing for grip as the big green hulk of a Charger smashed it's way through. The side loads grew pretty heavy as Kirk fought through it. Suddenly, a straight appeared. Way on down the road I spotted the Vette again.That guy wasn't letting the grass grow under him. Determined to show that he couldn't get away, we poured on the coals.
I checked the sky. The chopper had turned away. Thinking we were good to go, I told Kirk we were in the clear. That's when I saw it. The chopper had been replaced with a small airplane. Apparently, after chasing us for more than 20 miles the helicopter had enough and the plane took over.
More dips, hills, and blind corners flew by. We blew by a radar sign that showed 110 mph. I hit the button on the dash for the Performance Pages and the oil temp was a solid 233 degrees. I told Kirk the car was good and we kept going.
Blowing around a tight blind bend, the cops were there head of us. One of the Sheriff's boys was sitting across a gravel road with his lights on. We blasted by him at 97 mph and disappeared around the next bend, the plane in hot pursuit.
We had run more than 50 miles. The plane was still overhead. The Vette was holding his distance but unable to pull away. We rounded a bend and that's when it happened.

Less than a mile down the road the cops had put up a road block. The Vette was on the brakes. We shut it down, too. Party over, it was time to face the consequences.

We had just completed the southbound run of the Big Bend Open Road Race. It was time to pull off the helmets, ditch the gloves, pop the 5 point belts, and have some barbecue. We had an hour to kill before turning around and doing it all over again.

We were a couple rookies giving it a shot. A driver in his first real motorsports event and me having to navigate for the first time.

The course is a total of 118 miles with 58 curves and countless elevation changes. It's a timed event and we entered the 110 mph class. We finished with an average speed of 109.974 mph. That put us 0.919 seconds under the specified time and was good enough for 11th place in our field of 37. The winner? A solo driver in a Mini Cooper averaged 110.002 mph for a time deviation of 0.005 seconds. That's right. Solo. 118 miles. 5 thousandths of a second off. Tip of the hat to that man.

A tip of the hat goes out to Wade, too. He lent us his top secret notes and hard earned knowledge that got us so close to victory.

Looking at the results, out of 124 entries 33 were closer to their target times than we were. That means 90 cars either failed to finish, got disqualified, or missed their marks by a larger margin. I'll take that for a first time effort.

As for the Vette we were chasing, he averaged 110.026 mph with 0.915 error. A loss by 0.059 in a 118 mile bracket race ain't too bad.

About that partying with the cops? Yeah, we partied with the EMS, city officials from Ft Stockton and Sanderson, as well as all the other drivers and navigators, too. biggrin

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Radared at 110+, chased by chopper and partied with the cops [Re: feets] #3086629
10/16/22 08:18 PM
10/16/22 08:18 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
While walking the grid and checking out cars I saw someone hanging his phone out the window to take a pic of the line up.
I smiled and said "gimme that thing" and he handed over his phone.
As I went to take the pic for him he looked up and said "Feets?'

Yep. I had been outted by none other than Dan Jenkins. His co-driver's ride wasn't ready in time so they took a rental Charger.

Yeah, he beat us with an error of 0.739 to our 0.919.

The evidence:

Charger sky BBORR.jpgCharger starting line BBORR.jpgCharger bugs BBORR.jpg

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Radared at 110+, chased by chopper and partied with the cops [Re: feets] #3086665
10/16/22 09:38 PM
10/16/22 09:38 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
That is really cool!

I bet that Mini cooper was near top speed so it was probably less speed management and more just trying to go as fast as possible for him lol.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: Radared at 110+, chased by chopper and partied with the cops [Re: feets] #3086718
10/17/22 06:44 AM
10/17/22 06:44 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by feets

About that partying with the cops? Yeah, we partied with the EMS, city officials from Ft Stockton and Sanderson, as well as all the other drivers and navigators, too. biggrin

I make that run about twice a year for work, not at those speeds though, lol. Not much out there.

Re: Radared at 110+, chased by chopper and partied with the cops [Re: Sniper] #3086735
10/17/22 07:49 AM
10/17/22 07:49 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
The driver of the old NASCAR Silver Bullet Charger finally retired. He had been clocked at 221 mph in the speed trap.
This year a GTR trapped 202 and 204 mph but cruised to a 147 mph average. We think he just wanted to get those trap numbers.

It's hard to imagine 200+ mph on that stretch of two lane hardball road.

- Stu Harmon
Re: Radared at 110+, chased by chopper and partied with the cops [Re: feets] #3086741
10/17/22 08:48 AM
10/17/22 08:48 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
That was a well thought out intro....You had me for a moment.

Re: Radared at 110+, chased by chopper and partied with the cops [Re: Kern Dog] #3086786
10/17/22 10:43 AM
10/17/22 10:43 AM
here.
Remy-Z Offline
master
Remy-Z  Offline
master

here.
That is a bucket-list event for me. I've done plenty of WFO runs out on the open road. But if I had a helicopter tail me on any of them, I was going straight to the Graybar Hotel. Closest I came was setting the cruise control to somewhere well north of triple-digit speeds across Montana years ago just to have a state trooper pass me by like typical traffic with a friendly wave. I didn't know if he was being facetious or not (I was somewhere between Billings and Bozeman) but I knocked it down to 90 after that.

Re: Radared at 110+, chased by chopper and partied with the cops [Re: Remy-Z] #3086822
10/17/22 11:47 AM
10/17/22 11:47 AM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Dang, Feets, great story.
Educational, to boot: never thought of Minis as 110-MPH cars.
But I can attest to triple digits being the only way to get through some parts of Texas laugh2
I've never done that in a sanctioned environment; the aircraft at my, uh, private events, were a threat, not a monitor...

Re: Radared at 110+, chased by chopper and partied with the cops [Re: feets] #3086947
10/17/22 07:06 PM
10/17/22 07:06 PM
Erda, UT
67Charger Offline
master
67Charger  Offline
master

Erda, UT
Originally Posted by feets
While walking the grid and checking out cars I saw someone hanging his phone out the window to take a pic of the line up.
I smiled and said "gimme that thing" and he handed over his phone.
As I went to take the pic for him he looked up and said "Feets?'

Yep. I had been outted by none other than Dan Jenkins. His co-driver's ride wasn't ready in time so they took a rental Charger.

Yeah, he beat us with an error of 0.739 to our 0.919.

The evidence:

He tells the truth, minus a few details.

My dad's Mustang was supposed to be delivered to Dallas by the shop that did some engine work on it. I flew from Salt Lake to Dallas to meet up with my dad. The guy said he was loading up to go, then went radio silent Tuesday. No responses, no car, nothing. Since my post-race return flight was out of Phoenix, there would be no time to return a rental to Dallas, so we ended up driving to El Paso to rent a car, driving back to Ft. Stockton, racing, driving back to El Paso, returning it, getting the truck and trailer out of the WalMart parking lot where we left it (thieves siphoned out 40 gallons of diesel while it was parked there for 36 hours), then continuing on to Phoenix for my outbound flight.

I hate pictures of me, but the lost-car situation was so ridiculous it was outright comical, so whatever. It's still missing BTW.

Kevin, it was great meeting you and shooting the breeze for a while. I fully expect you to come back in a barge of a Mercedes and show them all how it is done. I'm really considering taking the Charger (the '67, not that wallowing 6 cylinder pig) back down there for the next run.

BBORR 2 2022.jpg
Last edited by 67Charger; 10/17/22 07:15 PM.

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
10.75 @ 125.35 w/ a little spray
Now, high Speed Open Road Racing - Silver State Classic Challenge, Nevada Open Road Challenge, Big Bend Open Road Race
Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020, 2022 2.0, Sick Week 2023
Re: Radared at 110+, chased by chopper and partied with the cops [Re: 67Charger] #3087180
10/18/22 03:01 PM
10/18/22 03:01 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i wished i was along for the ride ! up
beer