Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3084720
10/10/22 07:15 AM
10/10/22 07:15 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

Hagerty is notorious for telling people over the phone what they want to hear, even when it contradicts the policy contract. It's entirely possible that the policy has changed, you are correct. I would just be hesitant to take their word for it vs. having it pointed out to me in the policy. You went further than most consumers do by reading the policy. thumbs

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: not_a_charger] #3084961
10/10/22 07:58 PM
10/10/22 07:58 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline
master
DynoDave  Offline
master

MICHIGAN
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Originally Posted by DynoDave
Interesting...my son has been on my collector policy since I got it in 2014...he was 17 then. My daughter didn't want to be on it.

Which company, and did they ask for his birthday? Not shocking if there’s a company out there that does things differently than the rest.

I have Condon Skelly.

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #3085012
10/11/22 12:01 AM
10/11/22 12:01 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
No kids here but if I did.... no no no. Best for there safety, the cars safety.

I think what would be worse is teaching a youngster with a modern car with RnP steering and then trying to get them used to our old steering boxes, brakes, ect.

Maybe after a few years of driving under there belt.

I learned how to drive in this junk, wouldn’t have been able to otherwise. When I drove a rnp car for the first time, it was a breeze because I was so used to old school stuff. I really think it makes me better to have the old car experience since it requires more attention and that’s exactly opposite of the way 99.44% of mfers drive.

I want my fair share
Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: Andrewh] #3085027
10/11/22 08:42 AM
10/11/22 08:42 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
did you just not let your kid drive it?

thats the answer right there.. most if not all want you to be 25 years old for classic/collector car insurance.. you either use regular insurance or don't allow them to drive it.. they will get over it.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: Andrewh] #3085034
10/11/22 09:02 AM
10/11/22 09:02 AM
boston mass-moving to long isl...
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

we have jc taylor... a few years ago my son ,22 at the time, finally showed some interest in muscle - wanted to take out the superbird, but it had the 25 year old stipulation... i called them to cancel all the insurance's (22 cars) the agent asked me why, n i mentioned the 25year old clause.... he said it would waived... n i said but its a rule, n his response was ... rules are made to be broken - i asked for an email confirmation, n within mins i had an email from the insurer waiving the clause...

Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: DynoDave] #3085130
10/11/22 01:31 PM
10/11/22 01:31 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

Interesting...my son has been on my collector policy since I got it in 2014...he was 17 then. My daughter didn't want to be on it.

Which company, and did they ask for his birthday? Not shocking if there’s a company out there that does things differently than the rest.

I have Condon Skelly.

I reached out to them for a quote.
they said you have to have 5 years driving experience to be covered. and if you have under 10 years it required a waiver.

don't have 22 cars with hagerty so doubt asking will pull any weight, but it doesn't hurt.

Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: Andrewh] #3085308
10/12/22 07:18 AM
10/12/22 07:18 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline
master
MI_Custumz  Offline
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I remember reading something about daily driver being 10 years or newer and drivers have to be 25 years old. I can not find any old policies from Hagerty. I also do not see those in the most recent policy. If anyone has Hagerty and can look for it in the policy, let me know what it says.

Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3085796
10/13/22 04:50 PM
10/13/22 04:50 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline

It seems like a lot of insurance policies are very vague lately in their wording. I had a hard time trying to find something on hagerty and somewhere else.

Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: 5thAve] #3085824
10/13/22 08:43 PM
10/13/22 08:43 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by 5thAve
It seems like a lot of insurance policies are very vague lately in their wording.

They're not, but if they were, that's to the advantage of the consumer. Any ambiguity in policy language must be interpreted in favor of the insured. Either the insurer will do so voluntarily, or the Department of Insurance will make them do so.

I had a hard time trying to find something on hagerty and somewhere else.

What do you mean?

DBAP
Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: not_a_charger] #3085852
10/13/22 10:19 PM
10/13/22 10:19 PM
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

It seems like a lot of insurance policies are very vague lately in their wording.

They're not, but if they were, that's to the advantage of the consumer. Any ambiguity in policy language must be interpreted in favor of the insured. Either the insurer will do so voluntarily, or the Department of Insurance will make them do so.[

so ' vague' favors the insured?? maybe, but the insurance co. has lots of $$$, if they don't like the 1st outcome, they will appeal, and then appeal again and again .... i hope u have deep pockets, and lots of time

Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: Andrewh] #3085875
10/14/22 01:20 AM
10/14/22 01:20 AM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline
master
DynoDave  Offline
master

MICHIGAN
Originally Posted by Andrewh

I have Condon Skelly.

I reached out to them for a quote.
they said you have to have 5 years driving experience to be covered. and if you have under 10 years it required a waiver.

don't have 22 cars with hagerty so doubt asking will pull any weight, but it doesn't hurt.

That's discouraging. His name has appeared among the listed drivers on the car since I bought it in 2014, at which time he was 17. And they knew that...we discussed it quite clearly. Crazy.

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: massdaytona] #3085888
10/14/22 06:49 AM
10/14/22 06:49 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by massdaytona

They're not, but if they were, that's to the advantage of the consumer. Any ambiguity in policy language must be interpreted in favor of the insured. Either the insurer will do so voluntarily, or the Department of Insurance will make them do so.[

so ' vague' favors the insured?? maybe, but the insurance co. has lots of $$$, if they don't like the 1st outcome, they will appeal, and then appeal again and again .... i hope u have deep pockets, and lots of time

There's no maybe. Vague/ambiguous language must be interpreted in favor of the insured. This is true in all 50 states + D.C. If the policy language is vague/ambiguous, the smart adjuster will just interpret in favor of the insured and save the company time and money. The dumb adjuster will interpret in favor of the company, in which case all the insured has to do is file a complaint with the Department of Insurance, who will then force the insurance company to interpret in favor of the insured. It doesn't cost a dime for a consumer to file a DOI complaint. It's not court, it's not a lawsuit, there's no hearing, there's no appealing. The consumer files a written complaint. The DOI notifies the insurance company, who has 30 days to respond in writing. DOI then makes a decision, and you do what the DOI tells you to do. If the insurance company is lucky, they'll just be told what to do. If there's a pattern of such behavior, the DOI will hit them with huge fines, fines that more than offset any savings that may have occurred by not paying the claim in the first place.

DBAP
Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: not_a_charger] #3085899
10/14/22 07:45 AM
10/14/22 07:45 AM
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

Originally Posted by massdaytona

There's no maybe. Vague/ambiguous language must be interpreted in favor of the insured. This is true in all 50 states + D.C. If the policy language is vague/ambiguous, the smart adjuster will just interpret in favor of the insured and save the company time and money. The dumb adjuster will interpret in favor of the company, in which case all the insured has to do is file a complaint with the Department of Insurance, who will then force the insurance company to interpret in favor of the insured. It doesn't cost a dime for a consumer to file a DOI complaint. It's not court, it's not a lawsuit, there's no hearing, there's no appealing. The consumer files a written complaint. The DOI notifies the insurance company, who has 30 days to respond in writing. DOI then makes a decision, and you do what the DOI tells you to do. If the insurance company is lucky, they'll just be told what to do. If there's a pattern of such behavior, the DOI will hit them with huge fines, fines that more than offset any savings that may have occurred by not paying the claim in the first place.

tell that to the people in florida where the insurance co's will not cover the damage as it wasn't the 'cane that ruined your home , but the water... and why is that... cause of the vague/ambiguous language ...

Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: massdaytona] #3085929
10/14/22 10:15 AM
10/14/22 10:15 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Yes, the storm surge argument, is it flooding, or is it wind driven? That argument has been settled that storm surge is flooding, and anyone who lives in an area prone to flooding/storm surge should have flood insurance, which is only available from the federal government.

Floods

The National Flood Insurance Program includes in their definition of “flood”: inland tidal waters; unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source; and collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood. The big thing to take note of here, no property (that includes any Homeowners and Dwelling Fire Insurance Policy forms)covers flood damage as defined. Damage from flood waters is covered only by a separate Flood Insurance Policy and is subject to policy limits and deductibles.

If someone lives in coastal FL and doesn't have flood insurance, or doesn't know the difference at this point, that's on them. It's not ambiguous. The NFIP defines it for them. Wind blows the roof off and water gets in your home? Homeowners insurance. Storm surge floods your home? Flood insurance. Both happen at the same time? Homeowners buys your roof, the insulation, etc. and flood insurance fixes the flood damage. It's a huge pain for the consumer, no doubt. It's a direct result of insurers saying they were no longer going to rebuild the same property multiple times due to flooding.

Also, mobile homes are personal property, not real property, so depending upon the state, a flooded mobile home is treated as a vehicle, not a house, and is covered the same way a flooded car would be covered.

DBAP
Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: not_a_charger] #3086071
10/14/22 06:25 PM
10/14/22 06:25 PM
5thAve Offline
5thAve  Offline

They're not, but if they were, that's to the advantage of the consumer. Any ambiguity in policy language must be interpreted in favor of the insured. Either the insurer will do so voluntarily, or the Department of Insurance will make them do so.

I had a hard time trying to find something on hagerty and somewhere else.

What do you mean?

Vague as in you used to be able to go to hagerty's website or a number of other companies and it was quick to find specific info on what was excluded and other info on the coverage. Now it's harder to find and not much there. Same with what comes in the mail for renwal. Hagerty still had a decent sized envelope of paper work at least.

Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: 5thAve] #3086083
10/14/22 07:13 PM
10/14/22 07:13 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Right, they did used to have a list on their website of vehicle types they would not insure. They've changed their stance over the last few years regarding cages and power adders, for example.

DBAP
Re: classic car insurance and teenage drivers, what did you do? [Re: DynoDave] #3086305
10/15/22 03:35 PM
10/15/22 03:35 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright

I have Condon Skelly.

That was the 1st classic car insurance I had way back when. When I canceled and went with Grundy they stabbed me in the back. Low down actions.
They did so many others and were sued. I would not have anything insured with them now.
Low down snake in the grass place.

Last edited by 340SIX; 10/15/22 03:49 PM.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Page 2 of 2 1 2