05/04/22 06:55 PM
05/04/22 06:55 PM
St. Louis, Missouri area
Cometstorm Offline OP
"Beat It"
Cometstorm  Offline OP
"Beat It"

St. Louis, Missouri area
Only thing I used to follow religiously was Major Leage Baseball (Cardinals being my home team).

When they struck right before the world series (was that 1992 or so?), the industry pretty much lost me forever after keeping me keyed to the TV all season right before the World Series Strike.

That being said, it's almost impossible to escape some sports commentaries and interviews following news in general. Regardless of the sport, for the most part.

Here's some things I consistantly see over the years, and is reallly kindof funny when you look at it.

Typical interview responses (wash, rinse, repeat). stirthepot laugh2

Team manager who is facing a upcoming team with a lessor record:

"Yeah, the (insert team here) has had their problems, but we are hopeful for a great game. I respect their ongoing efforts, and wish them the best." They, Uhhhh... we cannot forget they are capable of, HHHHmmm.... great things"

Translation: "They are so bad, they need a license to enter the stadium. What a bunch of wusses!"

<<

Team manager with poor record being interviewed:;

"Yes, we been plagued with (insert the excuse here), but we are confident in our rebound ability."

Translation: "Lord, give me the strength to know what the heck we're doing! I have no clue!{

>>

Most common response to any interviewer:

"Well, Yeah! We'll see.... you know how it is. They are a good team with problems, and we understand that. We think we're in a....AHHHH....good position here. but.... You know? What can I say? The other team has a lot to offer, and UHHHH....well, we always hope to give our fans a good show.

We've been, uuuHHHH... pretty blessed with some good luck and good talent. So, Uhhhhh,..... well, you know....we'lll just keep at it and, UUUhhhh....the, well... We hope our good season continues.

Translation: "I'm not commiting to ANYTHING that may get me in trouble, so I just Uhhhh, well, you know.... Try to keep it real with you all.

>>

Feel free to add your generalized quotes and translations! wave

BTW, Darryl Strawerry lives right around the corner from me.

Could not ASK for a nicer guy, that comes from a host of problems! up

I made the mistake of shaking his hand, and it hurt for days! grin

Re: I'm not a sports fan, but! [Re: Cometstorm] #3040146
05/05/22 11:12 PM
05/05/22 11:12 PM
St. Louis, Missouri area
Cometstorm Offline OP
"Beat It"
Cometstorm  Offline OP
"Beat It"

St. Louis, Missouri area
Guess I’m mentally warped.

No feedback.

Still, I thought it funny! beer

Oh well, til next time! wave

Re: I'm not a sports fan, but! [Re: Cometstorm] #3040213
05/06/22 08:30 AM
05/06/22 08:30 AM

E
eddyjim
Unregistered
eddyjim
Unregistered
E

I too think its funny haha

Re: I'm not a sports fan, but! [Re: Anonymous] #3040542
05/07/22 12:06 PM
05/07/22 12:06 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Wow Daryl Strawberry; haven't heard that name in awhile. He was a stud for a few years. What an athlete. I'm a Tigers fan, but I remember some Cardinal greats. Ozzie of course. I always liked Willie McGee. And Jim Edmonds in the outfield was ridiculous!

Manager of poor team "We're obviously struggling right now but we're working hard, and we come out every day and give 110%".

You can only give 100%. I know we suck and until our owner will spend some money we'll continue to suck.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: I'm not a sports fan, but! [Re: larrymopar360] #3041128
05/10/22 07:20 AM
05/10/22 07:20 AM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
When managers, team owners, or players talk like that, it's because that is their job. They need to keep fans coming in to spend money. Always stay optimistic... The one that makes my chuckle the most are the "WE" Super Fans, that talk like they are on the payroll. "We drafted bad", "We played poorly", "We did it". You didn't do sh!t... It's entertainment. Watch some entertainment, then move on with your life.

i was a huge Baseball fan as a kid, but when they went on strike in 92? I didn't care one bit about it anymore. They got paid big money to play a kids game, and whined about it.

Last edited by JERICOGTX; 05/10/22 09:28 AM.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: I'm not a sports fan, but! [Re: Cometstorm] #3041135
05/10/22 08:26 AM
05/10/22 08:26 AM
Long Island, NY
shakerjoe Offline
master
shakerjoe  Offline
master

Long Island, NY
I grew up within walking distance of Shea Stadium, I used to be able to get in and watch the Mets taking batting practice, seeing Daryl crush baseballs was really pretty special…as was their run to the World Series in ‘86…a special time for a lifelong Mets fan…I wish him well. Baseball lost me too though after they went on strike, Being a lifelong ball player who could only dream of stepping onto the mound of Shea Stadium or chasing down a fly ball in left field…smh

Last edited by shakerjoe; 05/10/22 08:27 AM.