Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Looking for any input on Vinyl flooring (not sheet). We've had an Armstrong Alterna floor for 12+ years and the vinyl started to fail. Armstrong stepped right up to the plate and offered 100% replacement materials and labor WOW!!! I was impressed bow
However their current patterns are not to our liking frown.
There seems to be a lot of wood and marble based patterns but we already have enough wood in the areas and the marble isn't a good fit frown
We found a Coretec Plus pattern that we really like. But in researching their handling of warranty issues, many comments on several websites have indicated that they are not so ready to step up to the plate and actually indicated the opposite.
WE need a NOT MY/OUR FAULT smilie (Arms folded with index fingers extended).

So where else to go for answers other than google? MOPARTS smile.

Any input on experience's, brands, and from installers would be much appreciated
TIA beer

Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: TJP] #3024913
03/17/22 03:54 PM
03/17/22 03:54 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

I am not sure I understand.
you reached out to armstrong and they said they will take care of you.
but you read online that they don't? so you are concerned about what?

I have not had flooring done, but brick work from acme and they handled the replacement, nothing out of my pocket at all. just had to pick the brick that was closest, since they didn't make the brick I used before.
I would expect this to be similar.
have you verified?

Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: TJP] #3024964
03/17/22 07:15 PM
03/17/22 07:15 PM
Sobieski Wi
B
bee1971 Offline
master
bee1971  Offline
master
B

Sobieski Wi
Armstrong is offering you an 100% Replacement vinyl tile flooring and labor after 12 years with warranty at no cost to you , however you don’t like there current products , so you want to switch companies with a Coretec product ?

Is that correct - What am I missing here

Last edited by bee1971; 03/17/22 07:19 PM.

1971 Dodge Charger Superbee
2011 Ram Sport 1500 Quad Cab Deep Water Blue Loaded
Siberian Huskies
Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: bee1971] #3025039
03/17/22 11:57 PM
03/17/22 11:57 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I’ve bought a lot of different flooring over the years for quite a bit of property. If you seriously have the dough to turn down a free install from Armstrong, I want your setup. As for brands, don’t recall what we used. It varied. Only stuff that really sucked was the cheap builder grade that looked like the glue soaked through after a few years. Really can’t think of any that did that poorly. Had some in a house for many years that didn’t discolor like that. The stuff I put in the rentals to get rid of builder grade garbage all held up fine.

I want my fair share
Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: TJP] #3025045
03/18/22 12:41 AM
03/18/22 12:41 AM
N.W. Florida
F
Fat_Mike Offline
master
Fat_Mike  Offline
master
F

N.W. Florida
It sounds like you're about to talk yourself out of accepting their generous offer. shruggy

Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: Fat_Mike] #3025048
03/18/22 01:30 AM
03/18/22 01:30 AM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
That’s what it sounds like to me as well.

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: BloFish] #3025051
03/18/22 02:30 AM
03/18/22 02:30 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Yes their available patterns are the issue as well as availability. In the meantime the dishwasher blew a pump so now we have another floor issue that is not there fault. At that point, they said they refund the material cost but could not cover the labor. Which they promptly did. So now it's an insurance claim which opened to door to look at other companies I'd dearly love to go with Armstrong as they stepped right up.
But the wife doesn't ask for much and she really likes the Coretec pattern but as mentioned, I'm a bit concerned about what I've read. So back to the original question.

Any input on experience's, brands, and from installers would be much appreciated thanks beer

Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: TJP] #3025084
03/18/22 09:15 AM
03/18/22 09:15 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Online content
I Live Here
6PakBee  Online Content
I Live Here

North Dakota
I don't know how your wife is but if she is like mine, if you choose anything other than what she wants....you will be hearing about it until 1) you no longer live in the house, 2) the floor fails and has to be replaced again, 3) hell freezes over. Maybe the husband is the king of the castle but the queen makes the decisions. DAMHIK. Install the Coretec and move on.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: 6PakBee] #3025165
03/18/22 01:36 PM
03/18/22 01:36 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
I don't know how your wife is but if she is like mine, if you choose anything other than what she wants....you will be hearing about it until 1) you no longer live in the house, 2) the floor fails and has to be replaced again, 3) hell freezes over. Maybe the husband is the king of the castle but the queen makes the decisions. DAMHIK. Install the Coretec and move on.

LOL, 42 years ago we made an agreement. What goes on inside the house is primarily up to her, what goes on in the shop is
primarily mine. We do discuss things and listen to teach others opinions wink

When we still lived in Ca. the washer and dryer were in the front of the garage. I would use the tops for extra space. She developed a habit of leaving folded laundry on top of them. I asked several times for her to not do so. one day she cane out and said where'd the towels go?
I responded with I spilled a bunch of burnt trans fluid and there were handy so they're under the car. I'll was h the when I'm done.
About 20 minutes later she came out with her purse and keys. i said where you going? She responded to by some towels eek biggrin laugh2
It was never discussed again nor was there any laundry left n the garage unless it was inside the machines wink beer

Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: TJP] #3025879
03/20/22 09:56 PM
03/20/22 09:56 PM
Ohio
B
billohio Offline
enthusiast
billohio  Offline
enthusiast
B

Ohio
I ran into a similar problem of what to get with other wood floors in my old farm house. The floor in the kitchen, right beside what I was replacing is an old Bruce wood floor. So, I looked for a while and ran across some mannington floors that went with what I was doing. The one I picked looks like large tile and I would say it looks some what like concrete. Very classy and goes with anything. The good thing, it comes as a rigid floor with a backing and 2 other types, one that was a glue down if your floor isnt flat enough for the rigid. I had 2 floors, we used rigid in one and one room had an unlevel floor and it got the glue down. Great thing they all match. I really like it.
Mine is called Mannington Adura Fossil. They had some really cool patterns, just depends what you have to work with

Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: billohio] #3025962
03/21/22 09:38 AM
03/21/22 09:38 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Personally I think asking about warranty of such things is a waste of time. If you read the fine print it will always say that the base has to be prepared a certain way by a one-armed midget. That's their "out". And then the warranty is usually pro rated AND its only on replacement by their product which they're now selling you at full cost.

Just buy what you like and do a proper base for the product. If you're just going to slap new over old you're just asking for trouble.

I recently redid a bunch of floors in our 60-year old house. The kitchen had a full INCH of old underlay and flooring before I got down to the planking. Screwed all that down to get rid of the squeaks then 1/2" plywood screwed on top. Self leveler in a few spots to get it all dead nuts level then LVT (luxury vinyl tile) glued on top of that. So far so good !!

Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: Stanton] #3025985
03/21/22 10:46 AM
03/21/22 10:46 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Stanton
Personally I think asking about warranty of such things is a waste of time. If you read the fine print it will always say that the base has to be prepared a certain way by a one-armed midget. That's their "out". And then the warranty is usually pro rated AND its only on replacement by their product which they're now selling you at full cost.

I'll agree and disagree, Armstrong jumped right up to the plate with absolutley no BS even though the dealer had gone belly up. They even went so far as to search their wholesalers for the sale to the dealer as their ( dealers0 paperwork was a bit lacking in information).
One the other hand, if one reads Coretec's warranty it has more holes in it that a wooden fence that's been blasted with a scatter gun, hence my concern. I/net research shows they do use those holes to some degree. Again hence my my concern. Accordng to the seller and Coretec's rep that's not the case, so who does one believe?
I will say, when I see multiple complaints on multiple sites including their FB page it becomes concerning. The responses seem almost automatic (the same). The BBB page is not very encouraging either with them using the holes.
The above is why I posted the question.
I was hoping for some real experience recommendations / feedback beer

Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: TJP] #3026031
03/21/22 01:00 PM
03/21/22 01:00 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Originally Posted by TJP
Yes their available patterns are the issue as well as availability. In the meantime the dishwasher blew a pump so now we have another floor issue that is not there fault. At that point, they said they refund the material cost but could not cover the labor. Which they promptly did. So now it's an insurance claim which opened to door to look at other companies I'd dearly love to go with Armstrong as they stepped right up.
But the wife doesn't ask for much and she really likes the Coretec pattern but as mentioned, I'm a bit concerned about what I've read. So back to the original question.

Any input on experience's, brands, and from installers would be much appreciated thanks beer

Flooring installer for 42 years ended up manager and running a company last 15 before I retired. What brands and floors are you looking at.
Did tons oflArmstrong as well as other.
My recommendation is get ceramic, porcelain or lower cost stone. Buy once.
But if you go vinyl what ones are you looking at need more info.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: TJP] #3026054
03/21/22 02:10 PM
03/21/22 02:10 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by Stanton

I'll agree and disagree, Armstrong jumped right up to the plate with absolutley no BS even though the dealer had gone belly up. They even went so far as to search their wholesalers for the sale to the dealer as their ( dealers0 paperwork was a bit lacking in information).
One the other hand, if one reads Coretec's warranty it has more holes in it that a wooden fence that's been blasted with a scatter gun, hence my concern. I/net research shows they do use those holes to some degree. Again hence my my concern. Accordng to the seller and Coretec's rep that's not the case, so who does one believe?
I will say, when I see multiple complaints on multiple sites including their FB page it becomes concerning. The responses seem almost automatic (the same). The BBB page is not very encouraging either with them using the holes.
The above is why I posted the question.
I was hoping for some real experience recommendations / feedback beer

About the BBB, they’re a joke, they been trying for 30 years to get me on their list. All I had to do was pay them $250 and boom I’m on the BBB list.

Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: cudaman1969] #3026178
03/21/22 09:06 PM
03/21/22 09:06 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
About the BBB, they’re a joke, they been trying for 30 years to get me on their list. All I had to do was pay them $250 and boom I’m on the BBB list.

I agree on the $250 part and like you declined their invitation. I was a small business that tried to appease any problems before they got to the point of needing outside input/ assistance. In 25 years I only had one that drug a lawyer in. He would not have agreed to ay kind of arbitration.
In fact he pulled the same BS on his attorney that he did on me, claimed he did not get the representation he was being billed for. In my situation instead or representation it was Quality. For the record We nicknamed him Scrote. I thought about signing him up for every publication, mail order freebie etc I could find using the name Scrote M. Johnson LOL

However, the BBB in their defense does publish the claims made, the companies response's and eventual outcomes. In the case of Coretec, Shaw, and US floors (all one outfit) the outcomes were not favorable to the claimants. This coincides with what I read/ found on several different forums. They appear to "Fold their arms with their index fingers pointed outward" rather than address the problems. frown beer

Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: 340SIX] #3026195
03/21/22 09:37 PM
03/21/22 09:37 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 340SIX
Flooring installer for 42 years ended up manager and running a company last 15 before I retired. What brands and floors are you looking at.
Did tons oflArmstrong as well as other.
My recommendation is get or lower cost stone. Buy once.
But if you go vinyl what ones are you looking at need more info.

thank you for offering you assistance. Brands of floors? I'm not sure i know how to answer that. We've gone to all the larger local flooring retailers and they all seem to all have A lot of "wood pattern" offerings, but limited offerings in anything else.
We currently have Armstrong Alterna and it did well for 12 or so years until the wife dropped a can of Plegde and it delaminated.
Shortly afterwards the dishwasher blew a pump and we now have a pregnant floor LOL.
We found A Coretec Ankara Trevertine LINKY TOR CORETEC FLOOR That she really likes but their online response to problems seems poor IMO.
The problem with the wood patterns is there is A LOT OF WOOD in the are the floor will be installed (Kitchen, Laundry, Eating area etc.)
Your suggestion of "ceramic, porcelain or stone" in the The kitchen area would concern me if something like a pan was dropped.

I hope all of this is making some kind of sense, To summarize I would say we are looking for more of a somewhat solid pattern from a company that will stand behind their products with no BS like Armstrong did. Unfortunately they have nothing appealing to the boss frown
Thanks again for any assistance you can provide

Re: Any flooring knowledgeable people here ? [Re: TJP] #3026294
03/22/22 09:28 AM
03/22/22 09:28 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
My recommendation is get ceramic, porcelain or lower cost stone. Buy once.

I'm not questioning your knowledge HOWEVER as a consumer having had my share of these hard surfaces there are a few things I'd like to point out.

1) drop anything hard on a tile and its likely to crack or chip - requiring replacement - a "resilient" flooring will absorb the blow - try it, drop a hammer on each one.
2) hard surfaces require grout - which gets absolutely filthy and eventually is impossible to get clean. Replacement is no fun at all.
3) hard surfaces are COLD on the feet. They may be ambient temperature but they sure feel cold on the feet
4) the color and pattern selections of vinyl flooring are far broader than hard surfaces.
5) there is a significant difference in surface prep and installation cost - hard surface being much more expensive

Whatever the OP decides, one recommendation I do have is to avoid the products from big box stores like the plague. These are usually bought in huge, one-time batches and a year later the item is gone for good should you want any more of the same.

Regardless of what you buy, always buy a few square feet extra.

Last edited by Stanton; 03/22/22 09:33 AM.