Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline OP
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline OP
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Having an issue with my tail lights staying on. Running an EZWIRE 12 circuit. Things I have done to trouble shoot.

Changed out the brake switch. The original switch came apart.

Checked the LED tail light,all wire correctly

Checked fuses, all ok

In the process of adding grounds, engine to frame, cab to frame, box to frame.

I’ve traced the brown tail light wire and so far no kinks.

Any suggestions

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln
Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: dart4forte] #2979966
10/30/21 04:58 PM
10/30/21 04:58 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by dart4forte
Having an issue with my tail lights staying on. Running an EZWIRE 12 circuit. Things I have done to trouble shoot.

Checked fuses, all ok

Any suggestions

Might help if you told us what it was.

My 51 Plymouth uses a hydraulic pressure switch tied into the rear brake line to actuate the brake lights. That's factory, BTW. If it leaks internally it will do what you see.

Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: Sniper] #2979984
10/30/21 05:32 PM
10/30/21 05:32 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline OP
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline OP
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted by Sniper

Checked fuses, all ok

Any suggestions

My 51 Plymouth uses a hydraulic pressure switch tied into the rear brake line to actuate the brake lights. That's factory, BTW. If it leaks internally it will do what you see.

Sorry, 52 Dodge PU, EZ Wring Kit

Uses GM column, with the Mopar style brake switch. Input wire shows hot, and when the brake is applied white wire which is the brake wire shows hot.
Brake light light up when the peddle is depressed. Brake light go off when the peddle is released. However the brake lights continue to stay on. I tried disconnecting the battery and removing the fuse. Hooked battery back up and reinstalled the fuse, tail light come on.

Abe Lincoln
Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: dart4forte] #2979985
10/30/21 05:34 PM
10/30/21 05:34 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline OP
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline OP
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona

Checked fuses, all ok

Any suggestions

Sorry, 52 Dodge PU, EZ Wring Kit

Uses GM column, with the Mopar style brake switch. Input wire shows hot, and when the brake is applied white wire which is the brake wire shows hot.
Brake light light up when the peddle is depressed. Brake light go off when the peddle is released. However the brake lights continue to stay on. I tried disconnecting the battery and removing the fuse. Hooked battery back up and reinstalled the fuse, tail light come on.

I had the pressure switch on my 61 Lancer wagon. Those switches were not the most reliable.

Abe Lincoln
Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: dart4forte] #2980016
10/30/21 07:12 PM
10/30/21 07:12 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Might be the switch needs adjusting. Did you unplug the wire at the switch to see if the lights go out? That would tell you it's the switch. If you unplug it and the light stays on it's not the switch.

Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: Sniper] #2980020
10/30/21 07:31 PM
10/30/21 07:31 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline OP
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline OP
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Might be the switch needs adjusting. Did you unplug the wire at the switch to see if the lights go out? That would tell you it's the switch. If you unplug it and the light stays on it's not the switch.

Good idea, I’ll try that

Abe Lincoln
Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: dart4forte] #2980100
10/31/21 12:39 AM
10/31/21 12:39 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Might also try lifting the brake pedal up. If the brake lights go out while the pedal is lifted, the brake light switch is out of adjustment. The switch needs to be set up so that when the pedal is in the idle position, the switch has the power turned off. Then the pedal needs to move before the brake lights are turned on by the switch. I installed a new brake light switch on my coupe and it worked great for about 10 minutes, but then I needed to make a huge amount of adjustment for it to function properly. I think it was the poor quality of the replacement parts. As it was cycled through the process a few times, how sensitive it was changed. Its been about a year now and that switch still works great, after I had to adjust it that 2nd time.

Also, as sad as it is, new parts are not necessarily good parts anymore. I've seen a lot of brand new parts that did not function correctly. Gene

Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: poorboy] #2980107
10/31/21 01:26 AM
10/31/21 01:26 AM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline OP
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline OP
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll hit it tomorrow. Been my experience with hot rods it’s probably something simple.

Abe Lincoln
Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: dart4forte] #2980241
10/31/21 01:45 PM
10/31/21 01:45 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline OP
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline OP
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Ok, went back to myArmy days in armor and everything was in checklists so I made a checklist. Listed everything I have tried, went back through and no change to the TLs being on. So, the very last thing I had on my checklist is the steering column. Disconnected the column hookup and the tail lights went off. Me thinks the emergency flasher switch is the problem.

I hate wiring

Last edited by dart4forte; 10/31/21 01:47 PM.

Abe Lincoln
Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: dart4forte] #2980248
10/31/21 02:01 PM
10/31/21 02:01 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Since you have a "modern" turn signal switch the brakes light wiring is probably routed through the turn signal switch. Assuming "GM column" means something newer that has a built in turn signal switch.

Might be a case of someone using a conductive grease on the contacts.

Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: Sniper] #2980368
10/31/21 08:58 PM
10/31/21 08:58 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Does the column your using have a hazard button? Could be as simple as the button is on, or stuck. If it is indeed the hazard lights your seeing, that would also indicate that the hazard flasher unit is bad, or those hazard lights should be flashing. The hazard lights over power everything else through the turn signal and brake light switches. If the hazard button is engaged, the brake lights nor the turn signals (in either direction) should work.

I know its pretty stupid, but I have to ask, are the lights you are seeing turn/brake, or tail/parking lights? You have referenced both in your descriptions. Do the lights get brighter if the brake/turn lights are activated? Also, do you have any lights on the front of the truck, particularly the front turn lights?

I had an issue with my truck right after I got it together. All the turn signals worked great. The headlights and tail lights worked great, but if you turned on the headlights and either turn signal, both of the rear lights would go full bright. I ran through everything I could think of over 4 days. I enlisted another car wiring guy, and he was as stumped as I was. What I found, by accident, was the wire harness I used had provisions for side marker lights. None were being used on my truck, but the two front side light terminal sockets were shorted out! After I cut those two sockets off, all the lights functioned correctly.

One more stupid thought, are you using LED lighting? Gene

Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: poorboy] #2980499
11/01/21 10:38 AM
11/01/21 10:38 AM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline OP
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline OP
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted by poorboy
Does the column your using have a hazard button? Could be as simple as the button is on, or stuck. If it is indeed the hazard lights your seeing, that would also indicate that the hazard flasher unit is bad, or those hazard lights should be flashing. The hazard lights over power everything else through the turn signal and brake light switches. If the hazard button is engaged, the brake lights nor the turn signals (in either direction) should work.

I know its pretty stupid, but I have to ask, are the lights you are seeing turn/brake, or tail/parking lights? You have referenced both in your descriptions. Do the lights get brighter if the brake/turn lights are activated? Also, do you have any lights on the front of the truck, particularly the front turn lights?

I had an issue with my truck right after I got it together. All the turn signals worked great. The headlights and tail lights worked great, but if you turned on the headlights and either turn signal, both of the rear lights would go full bright. I ran through everything I could think of over 4 days. I enlisted another car wiring guy, and he was as stumped as I was. What I found, by accident, was the wire harness I used had provisions for side marker lights. None were being used on my truck, but the two front side light terminal sockets were shorted out! After I cut those two sockets off, all the lights functioned correctly.

One more stupid thought, are you using LED lighting? Gene

First, yes, I have LED tail lights. I had to pull the steering column yesterday. We took it apart and it’s toast so I’m off to SoCal this morning. On the tail lights, it could be they are on due to the flasher, just not blinking. I’ll go ahead and replace the hazard relay while the column is out. I’m also looking at the grounds for the tail lights in addition to adding ground cables for the cab, box and motor. Yes, when I apply the brakes the tail lights get brighter.

Thanks Gene

Abe Lincoln
Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: dart4forte] #2980681
11/01/21 07:28 PM
11/01/21 07:28 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
If you have full LED lights (front and rear LED) for the turn signals, sometimes the LED lights do not have enough resistance to heat up the flasher unit and they will light, but won't flash. You can buy a set of resistors, or a special LED flasher unit, for the LED lights to solve that problem. I've encountered needing the resistors on about 1/2 of the vehicles I've installed full (all 4) turn lights into. If you only have only, say the rear LED lights, and regular incandescent front lights, there doesn't seem to be a problem. The LED resistance issue wouldn't cause the lights to stay on though.

I install at least rear LED lighting in everything I own if I can. Too many hot rods have very poor rear lighting, in this day and age, that is pretty dumb. Gene

Last edited by poorboy; 11/01/21 07:30 PM.
Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: poorboy] #2980760
11/01/21 11:38 PM
11/01/21 11:38 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline OP
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline OP
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
If you have full LED lights (front and rear LED) for the turn signals, sometimes the LED lights do not have enough resistance to heat up the flasher unit

and they will light, but won't flash. You can buy a set of resistors, or a special LED flasher unit, for the LED lights to solve that problem. I've encountered needing the resistors on about 1/2 of the vehicles I've installed full (all 4) turn lights into. If you only have only, say the rear LED lights, and regular incandescent front lights, there doesn't seem to be a problem. The LED resistance issue wouldn't cause the lights to stay on though.

I install at least rear LED lighting in everything I own if I can. Too many hot rods have very poor rear lighting, in this day and age, that is pretty dumb. Gene

Yeah, I have those which I’ll be installing while I’m waiting for the new steering column

Abe Lincoln
Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: dart4forte] #2983050
11/08/21 11:00 AM
11/08/21 11:00 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Online content
Still wishing...
Twostick  Online Content
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
LEDs take almost no voltage to light up so if you have ANY stray voltage feeding back through a ground circuit, your tail lights could light up.

Have you checked to see if it is in fact the tail light circuit lighting up and not the brake lights dim at reduced voltage? LEDs can start to light up with only a volt or 2.

I'd swap some 1157s back in and see if they light up or not.

Kevin

Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: Twostick] #2983066
11/08/21 11:33 AM
11/08/21 11:33 AM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline OP
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline OP
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
I’m waiting on the new steering column. Just for chits and grins I cleaned out all the debris in the column then laid it on the floor. Had enough slack in the column harness to hook yo to the dash harness. Hooked the battery up and loo and behold the tail lights were out. Hit the HL switch and they came on. Hit the brakes and they worked. I think something went wrong with the flasher switch.

Abe Lincoln
Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: dart4forte] #2983186
11/08/21 07:37 PM
11/08/21 07:37 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
That would do it. The flasher switch cancels the brake light for the side the signal is turned on. The 4 way hazard flashers also run through that same switch. While the wires are out of the column, you should look to see if any wires may have the shield coating broken or rubber through, that can cause all kinds of strange things to happen as well.

Re: Brake Light Issue [Re: poorboy] #2983187
11/08/21 07:39 PM
11/08/21 07:39 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline OP
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline OP
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
That would do it. The flasher switch cancels the brake light for the side the signal is turned on. The 4 way hazard flashers also run through that same switch. While the wires are out of the column, you should look to see if any wires may have the shield coating broken or rubber through, that can cause all kinds of strange things to happen as well.

I’m waiting for the new column befor cutting the wires and pulling out the harness. The column is GM based as well as my EZ Wring harness.

Abe Lincoln