TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Andrewh
Originally Posted by TJP
maybe a couple of silly questions but again I'm not the brightest candle in the box especially with the new technology grin
I am currently with Century Link for both phone & internet (40 MBPS)

I realize we are being somewhat forced to the "cell phone technology" by banking, and several other requirements and plan on making the jump soon.

So the questions are:
I believe there are ways have your cell phone utilize the existing hard wired phones in your house while ditching the landlines cost IE: disconnect the phone service. If I am correct are there any drawbacks to doing so ?
Are their particular companies/adapters etc. that are better than others?

And if one does so, does this affect the internet service (DSL) by the same provider. To my knowledge, my location limits me to using the phone companies hardwired phone lines for internet access.

Several times I have called friends on there cell and they couldn't find it at the time which resulted in my calling their landline.
I don't like the idea of having to carry a phone everywhere I go in the house or shop.
It's a bit harder to misplace 4 or 5 phones LOL
TIA beer

a few companies make a bluetooth receiver that links to your cell phone when you come in the door.
It will ring on that base and any wireless phones attached to that base like your regular land line would normally have done. Except you don't actually connect to a land line anymore.
I too don't carry my phone around when I am at home. Much to the annoyance of people trying to reach me. I drop it in one place and leave it there. If I happen to be close enough I will pick it up, but they all have my home phone, just too lazy to look it up.

https://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-Link2Cell-Bluetooth-Assistant-Expandable/dp/B072N3T79P
one example

thank you beer

Re: anyone using consumer cellular? [Re: 360view] #2983028
11/08/21 08:58 AM
11/08/21 08:58 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Amazon bulldozed a buried cable that had been clearly marked for them as they built a new warehouse nearby.
The construction foreman said on camera “I was told to do it because it would be better for Amazon to pay for the damage than slow down construction.”

So I lost my home internet connection, going on 2 months now.

I have been relying on cellular internet from Mint Mobile, who buys service from T-Mobile,
and using the “create wifi hotspot” feature of a old Pixel XL phone.

This has worked surprisingly well.
It was quite easy to upgrade from 3 Gigabyte minimal service per month
to 10 GB service for just a few $ more per month.

I get a better signal with Mint than I had with Verizon,
especially after Verizon eliminated 3rd party tower service a few years ago to save money to help pay for 5G equipment.

Mint has 5G service available
but my old phone does not cover those new bands.

I am going to get fiber optic home internet soon.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3