J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
I guess a lot would depend on the specifics of "purposely".

Any past case history on the pursued liability to the manufacturer for separated parts caused by another's negligence in an accident?

I have never heard of this concern, not saying it does not exist, yet.

It doesn't happen often, thankfully. Anyone wondering why a manufacturer wouldn't design a wheel/suspension to purposely come off, or even design it with the intent that it might come off, can refer back to Senna's death in F1.

Only because of his notoriety and skill is that an example most will not, it was a freak accident in many ways. The F1 Halo and Indy windshields are solutions in the right direction, but over a decade later. Wheels/parts still separate, but the question remains as to whether "purposefully" or not. Mark Donohue died from effectively an off the track 2x4 fence post entering the eye port of his full face helmet, causing delayed hours later, unknown brain bleeding.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Break away suspension? [Re: not_a_charger] #2924277
05/19/21 10:33 AM
05/19/21 10:33 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
There are no breakaway, crush zones, etc...in suspension parts. There are no parts designed to separate from the vehicle in a collision. There are no benefits to having such things. Manufacturers don't want a chunk of metal, a wheel/tire, a window, etc. flying through the air addressed "to whom it may concern."

You're right about the loss of stability and braking should the car keep moving/stay on the roadway. That does happen, but in my experience, it's the exception and not the rule.

You have seen pics/videos of controlled testing front on corner crash/collisions, that shoves the attached wheel into the the drivers footwell? What has changed dramatically over decades, IMO, is the crash testing, the more robust safety crash ratings, and insurance companies paying attention to those ratings. Correct me if I am wrong. A wheel separation is not entering the wheel well, and currently has as I know, no downside in the final crash score the vehicle receives. If the shanninhagn's VW played years n eeking out extra mileage numbers with their diesels is not enough of an indicator what companies will stump to, for billions of dollars, I don't think they would hesitate one bit if they know there was a rating benefit to increase a crash score, intentionally or not.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Break away suspension? [Re: jcc] #2924459
05/19/21 03:07 PM
05/19/21 03:07 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted by jcc
There are no breakaway, crush zones, etc...in suspension parts. There are no parts designed to separate from the vehicle in a collision. There are no benefits to having such things. Manufacturers don't want a chunk of metal, a wheel/tire, a window, etc. flying through the air addressed "to whom it may concern."

You're right about the loss of stability and braking should the car keep moving/stay on the roadway. That does happen, but in my experience, it's the exception and not the rule.

You have seen pics/videos of controlled testing front on corner crash/collisions, that shoves the attached wheel into the the drivers footwell? What has changed dramatically over decades, IMO, is the crash testing, the more robust safety crash ratings, and insurance companies paying attention to those ratings. Correct me if I am wrong. A wheel separation is not entering the wheel well, and currently has as I know, no downside in the final crash score the vehicle receives. If the shanninhagn's VW played years n eeking out extra mileage numbers with their diesels is not enough of an indicator what companies will stump to, for billions of dollars, I don't think they would hesitate one bit if they know there was a rating benefit to increase a crash score, intentionally or not.

I had a girlfriend years ago (tried to get rid of her here as some might remember) that thought everything I did or said had some kind of ulterior motive. Didn't matter that I was only trying to be nice, helpful or whatever. Everything vehicle manufacturers do is related to money. Light weight suspension components, many made of aluminum these days, are an example of that. Lighter weight, better fuel mileage, less emmisions, it's a win/win for them.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Page 2 of 2 1 2