03/10/21 02:53 AM
03/10/21 02:53 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
That is a well written and classy response. Kudos, Sir.

Re: Nope . just could not do that job [Re: bigdad] #2897615
03/10/21 04:02 AM
03/10/21 04:02 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I never thought I would climb telephone and power poles,, telephone only poles in CA are 25 or 30 Ft. tall with 4 or 5 Ft. in the ground so your working with your head around 22 Ft. above the ground.
I needed a job and found out the local phone company was hiring in their construction dept. so I signed up and got hired. I learned after getting hired that I was going to work in their pole line construction department as a apprentice lineman, not in the office building department shock shruggy
I needed a job so I grab it and a year later decided to turn it into career up
The tallest pole I had to climb was a 90 Ft antenna pole for our company vehicle radios, after the first 45 Ft. it all looks like along ways down whistling
It is amazing what you can do when you want to up

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Nope . just could not do that job [Re: Cab_Burge] #2897623
03/10/21 07:46 AM
03/10/21 07:46 AM
Unfortunately back in New York
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I never thought I would climb telephone and power poles,, telephone only poles in CA are 25 or 30 Ft. tall with 4 or 5 Ft. in the ground so your working with your head around 22 Ft. above the ground.
I needed a job and found out the local phone company was hiring in their construction dept. so I signed up and got hired. I learned after getting hired that I was going to work in their pole line construction department as a apprentice lineman, not in the office building department shock shruggy
I needed a job so I grab it and a year later decided to turn it into career up
The tallest pole I had to climb was a 90 Ft antenna pole for our company vehicle radios, after the first 45 Ft. it all looks like along ways down whistling
It is amazing what you can do when you want to up

My son is 17 and told me this is what he wants to do. I did tell him he's going to be out in the woods as the apprentice, doing all the stuff the junior man has to do to learn. He's going to be enrolled at a lineman school and then we'll see about getting him a job. If I had to do it over again I might try this, being in the power house has its advantages and disadvantages. I don't know if it's the turbine or Iron Maiden that has cost me some hearing.

Re: Nope . just could not do that job [Re: Nukechargerboy] #2897734
03/10/21 01:49 PM
03/10/21 01:49 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I tried to go to work for Southern California Edison in 1969 after getting out of the Army in 1968, Edison wouldn't hire me as I had worked for three years for the phone company and they didn't want to hire someone they hadn't train scope
I had transfer into the installation and repair department in late 1966 before being drafted to learn more , I was in communications in the Army and mainly did clerical work do to the fighting in Viet Nam and me having a class 3 physical profile, bad vision needing glasses, I was not allow into a combat zone so I did as I was instructed to serve my time.
I install phone service for a young widow with a young daughter in late 1969, her husband had been a journeyman Lineman for SO CA Edison that was killed on the job by a power jumper wire he was forming to hook up a transformer going to a new house that he let touch the 12,500 volt primary power before it should have, he didn't have all the high voltage protection gear on and the power jump down the wire he was forming into his hands and then out of his hip to a anchor wire killing him instantly. I had several friends who work for Edison at that time and they told me later about what had happened, my message is to tell your Son to not let anyone kill him on the job, BE SAFE please thumbs luck
I hear what your saying about working in a power house and the noise, I've taken three tours of Hoover, Boulder Dam outside of Las Vegas, NV , Those turbine where not very loud though
My Father work in a power house for San Diego Power and water for a short while in the early 1950s, he worked on the big commercial diesel engines that drove the generators, very noisy shock

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Nope . just could not do that job [Re: Cab_Burge] #2897759
03/10/21 03:08 PM
03/10/21 03:08 PM
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

Electrical safety is paramount! It only takes one time to get complacent that it will kill you. 6 volts to lightning bolts, it all has to be respected. Unfortunately I have been witness to the aftermath of 345kv accident by a landscaper. He thought the bus work was conduit, poor guy never knew what hit him. A tree branch hit the bus, killed him instantly. I have a lot of conversations with him to be careful and don't let youthful exuberance or an idiot supervisor kill you.

Re: Nope . just could not do that job [Re: Nukechargerboy] #2897771
03/10/21 03:28 PM
03/10/21 03:28 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Originally Posted by Nukechargerboy
..... a landscaper. He thought the bus work was conduit, poor guy never knew what hit him. A tree branch hit the bus, killed him instantly.

???? This does not make sense. What does a bus have to do with electricity?

Re: Nope . just could not do that job [Re: Kern Dog] #2897785
03/10/21 03:47 PM
03/10/21 03:47 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted by Frankenduster
..... a landscaper. He thought the bus work was conduit, poor guy never knew what hit him. A tree branch hit the bus, killed him instantly.

Electrical bus bar?

Last edited by Pacnorthcuda; 03/10/21 04:56 PM.
Re: Nope . just could not do that job [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2897814
03/10/21 04:48 PM
03/10/21 04:48 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline OP
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline OP
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
I had a young driver , concerned that the over head line was not tall enough to get his load under .. he jumped out , rolled the steel tape measure out .. by time someone yelled stop .. too late

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: Nope . just could not do that job [Re: bigdad] #2897830
03/10/21 05:47 PM
03/10/21 05:47 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
shock

There's an old video... maybe from India? Anyways, a guy is standing on a train, and casually reaches up and touches the wire to steady himself.... He caught fire after he fell over shock frown

As for the climbing and changing bulbs? Looks fun. When do I start?

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: Nope . just could not do that job [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2897869
03/10/21 07:38 PM
03/10/21 07:38 PM
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted by Frankenduster

Electrical bus bar?

The round aluminum pipe that looks like conduit is commonly called a bus or buswork. Bus bar is in electrical switchgear. The bus I was referring to was the bus work coming out of a transformer. The voltages involved are 345kilovolts. A sapling was growing in the vicinity of the vertical bus that was going up to a feeder tower. The guy cut the sapling, when it was free it touched the bus. His hand was holding the sapling as it hit the bar and he was a direct short to ground.

Page 2 of 2 1 2