Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I posted this over here hoping it would reach more people. If it's not OK please feel free to move it.
I have repeatedly warned people about buying vehicles without properly verifying the VIN # (s) Some states are pretty lax about it, other's are not with Nebraska being one. Even if your current state is lax and it's not much of a problem OK.
But lets say in 5 years you or your heirs sell it to someone in a state that is like Nebraska. It now becomes a problem, and a BIG ONE for the buyer (especially) and seller. I have been witness to several of these occurrences and it's not pretty.
The worst part is the buyer has a vehicle he can't title, license, insure or drive. In two cases the vehicle was impounded, with storage fees piling up daily. 50.00 a day x 180 (6 months) = $9,000 add in lawyer fees etc. panic

What prompted me to post this was the following from I just found on a well known classic car dealers website.

VIN Verification: We photograph the primary VIN location of every vehicle and make sure that VIN exactly matches the vehicle's current title. Buyer agrees to hold seller harmless from any disputes arising from other hidden or secondary VINs present on the vehicle as seller only verifies the primary VIN location. If needed, it is the buyer's sole responsibility to verify secondary VIN locations their specific state may inspect, prior to purchase.

WOW!!! I'm not sure that would stand up in court, but it is an indicator of how big of an issue this is. And challenging the above is going to cost $$$ CAVEAT EMPTOR beer

Re: Buying a car ? Please READ, Check the VIN #'s CAREFULLY [Re: TJP] #2883516
02/03/21 01:05 PM
02/03/21 01:05 PM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Same goes for buying an in state car as well as out of state cars. Friend bought a running driving 1970 SS 454 Chevelle cheap in 1980 with plans to part it out because of all the rust. I checked the VIN against the title and they didn't match. The seller had been divorced and the title matched his ex-wife's Nova. Probably could have gone ahead and parted the car, but he took the car back and demanded his money back. Sometimes doing things correctly and legally can cost you money, but it is what it is.

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: Buying a car ? Please READ, Check the VIN #'s CAREFULLY [Re: John Brown] #2883587
02/03/21 02:40 PM
02/03/21 02:40 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
Freind of mine is a in a title dispute on a 69 Road Runner ..bought it at a auction with what he thought was proper paperwork, went ahead and has got about 85% of the car done, now wanted to get plates and cant get a title ..

However, recently I think he found a away around the situation , its legal ..just really have to work with a very ,very trustworthy person ..we will see

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: Buying a car ? Please READ, Check the VIN #'s CAREFULLY [Re: bigdad] #2883811
02/03/21 10:16 PM
02/03/21 10:16 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
Wow on the previous post. Never start putting money into a car you don't hold the title on. The Bee was not titled for about 25 years before I bought it. I was able to track the guy down that had the title. He had sold it to a flipper years before but the flipper died before he titled it. Car passed amongst owners for years with nobody doing a thing to it. I can see someone wanted to make a drag car out of it at one point in time. Title holder was really cool guy and got me the title pronto. I've had it for over 18 years now and have collected all the parts to finally start on it in a couple more years. That said, I have a legal title in my name now.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"