Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Stock coil or should it be changed? Points to Electroni [Re: DAYCLONA] #284852
04/12/09 10:06 PM
04/12/09 10:06 PM
salem, oregon. usa
E
elmor Offline
enthusiast
elmor  Offline
enthusiast
E

salem, oregon. usa
My pickup has a 360 that I converted from points to Pertronix. I just put the points back in it, and I'm going to UPGRADE to el crapo Chrysler electronic ignition. The Pertronix crap has left me sitting for the last time. I know several other local guys that won't use the Pertronix set up again. Never ever had a problem with the Mopar ignition set up.

Re: Stock coil or should it be changed? Points to Electroni [Re: elmor] #284853
04/12/09 10:48 PM
04/12/09 10:48 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
.......if there's any problems with a Pertronix installation, it's usually due to an installation error, retaining the ballast resistor in the set up,....as the Hallcell requires 12 volts, using the wrong coil, the Pertronix requires a coil in the 100:1 TR and 80 milliamp range, or gapping the airspace with a steel gauge, or installing it on a worn distributor shaft, running soild core wires, or installing some foolish MSD set-up with it.......I've run Pertronix conversions on all my cars for YEARS, with not one single failure......where as the "El Crapo" Chrysler set-ups were always frought with problems,........I'm not new to Mopars, I've owned and driven them for over 30 years.....IMHO, the Pertronix set-ups are a blessing over the factory stuff!............perhaps you should throw a nice "lean burn" ignition set-up on that pick-up, now there's a real peice of crap, from the factory! .....

Re: Stock coil or should it be changed? Points to Electroni [Re: ademon] #284854
04/13/09 06:28 PM
04/13/09 06:28 PM
So Cal
Sinitro Online content
master
Sinitro  Online Content
master

So Cal
Quote:

I would not use a .25 ohm ballast resistor, if your going to use a Mopar/MSD blaster coil use the msd .85 ohm ballast its a super heavy duty one, if you get the coil it might come with one, the MSD blaster i got 15 years ago had on in the package and its still on the car. And also use some washers behind it to raise it off the firewall so it will have some air movement behind it.

Here is a lift from the Mopar Performance factory information....

Mopar Performance 4876732 Ignition Coil Blaster

Product Code:DCC-4876732
Manufacturer:Mopar Performance

DCC-4876732
Ignition Coil, Blaster, Canister, Round, Oil Filled, Black, Each

Description:

More energy, better spark.

Ignition Coil, Blaster, Canister, Round, Oil Filled, Black, Each

Features:

Ballast Resistor Included No
Coil Color Black
Coil Internal Construction Oil-filled
Coil Shape Round
Coil Style Canister
Coil Wire Attachment Female/Socket
Coil Wire Included No
Diameter (in) 2.483 in.
Height (in) 6.147 in.
Mounting Bracket Included No
Notes Specific Mopar Performance ignition systems may require the use of a 1/4 ohm ballast resistor when used with this coil. Consult your Mopar Performance catalog or your sales representative for further information.
Primary Resistance 0.700 ohms
Quantity Sold individually.
Turns Ratio 100:1

Don't really want to debate the point of Pertronix vs. MSD vs. Mopar...

But ...
IMHO
A good starting point is the Mopar information, then after reviewing this go whatever way you may want to...

Just my $0.025...

Re: Stock coil or should it be changed? Points to Electroni [Re: Sinitro] #284855
04/13/09 08:43 PM
04/13/09 08:43 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
with daytona

with dayclona

I have been running a pertronix conversion with the pertronix flame thrower coil in the points dist in my 85 truck,68 dart,67 polara for over 9 yrs..same one just swap the dist/coil around
never had a problem..expt when I used a diff rotor button..it gave probs till I replaced it with a pertronix one

I have swaped it right into a couple diff dist over the yrs and just use the .030 plastic gauge they come with to gap it

all the elchepo stock ecu crap is still hooked up in the wire harness and it has 2 wires from dist to the coil and the one keyed wire from the harness...just unhook the elect dist plug

the points vac dist will give a little better curve on the timeing when using the "stock" dist in a stock points car over a stock smog dist

when it was in my 68 dart I used a #10 stranded wire solderd in the shell of the ballest resiter, to by pass it to give the pertroinix a full 12 volts to work with the 40,000 volt flame thrower coil

just like the ad said..throw the points/condencer in the glove box ...but you will never need it

thats my 0.05$

runwhatyabrung

Page 2 of 2 1 2