07/24/11 09:24 PM
tampa, FL
M
Mpi_duster Offline OP
Mpi_duster  Offline OP
M

tampa, FL
Experience:
I have adapted two Magnum wiring harnesses to work in my '74 Duster, the first was and OBD1 setup where the computer only controlled the engine functions. My more recent adaptation utilizes an OBD2 harness where the computer runs both the engine and the 44RE (electronic A500) overdrive transmission. I ran the OBD1 setup for approximately two years without problems and so far I'm four months into driving the OBD2 setup with no issues so far.

Economy:
With the OBD1 and a 727 I would average 16mpg in town and 20mpg highway with 3.55 rear gears and 28" tall tires. With the OBD2 and the (0.69) overdrive I get 18mpg city and 23mpg highway with the same gears and tires.

Application:
If there is interest the OBD1 would be best suited for stock/near stock 5.2/5.9l where either a 3speed or a hydraulic 4speed would be used.
The OBD2 option would be more ideal for those looking to run an electronic 4speed automatic such as a 44RE/46RE and/or a more modified engine. ex: cam, heads, intake, TB, injectors. OBD2 computers can be tuned to meet performance demands.

Idea:
Modify OBD1 and/or OBD2 engine harnesses such that anyone may put a magnum engine and computer into their muscle car and run a factory fuel injection setup.

I'd like to take a poll on how much interest there would be for these conversions to be made in kit form? If you have any questions please post them here.

Would you have interest in purchasing a harness.
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 07/24/11 08:24 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Re: MPI Fuel Injection Kit [Re: Mpi_duster] #1039335
07/24/11 09:35 PM
07/24/11 09:35 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
We did an OBDII swap into an 84 Ramcharger. For many reasons we just used the entire Dakota wiring and adapted the few circuits that were different. I'd love to do a 5.9 for my 79 Power Wagon and keep the 727, but I probably won't do it unless I can get a donor truck for CHEAP.

Re: MPI Fuel Injection Kit [Re: Jim_Lusk] #1039336
07/24/11 10:09 PM
07/24/11 10:09 PM
Kansas
BEINGmeISaCRIME Offline
mopar
BEINGmeISaCRIME  Offline
mopar

Kansas
How would you deal with some of the computer functions that would not be able to be used? Like the ABS system for example on an OBD-II system. Also, what do they have to convert the electronic speedometer output on the transmission to a cable driven? I would suppose some of these would have simple solutions but at the same time, it's the same thing that kept me from doing it.

From what I've heard, the magnum v8 computers weren't as tuneable as something on a mustang or something, I'm most likely wrong on that statement, maybe there's an aftermarket solution out now that could compensate. The idea of being able to have a factory style setup with lockup OD.

What is needed to fit these monsters of a transmission into a classic? I know the lengths are a bit different requiring a different way to mount the transmission at the back, what about floorpan modifications? I wonder if there would be any issues using a floor shifter as well.

Re: MPI Fuel Injection Kit [Re: BEINGmeISaCRIME] #1039337
07/25/11 11:12 AM
07/25/11 11:12 AM
tampa, FL
M
Mpi_duster Offline OP
Mpi_duster  Offline OP
M

tampa, FL
Quote:

How would you deal with some of the computer functions that would not be able to be used? Like the ABS system for example on an OBD-II system. Also, what do they have to convert the electronic speedometer output on the transmission to a cable driven? I would suppose some of these would have simple solutions but at the same time, it's the same thing that kept me from doing it.

From what I've heard, the magnum v8 computers weren't as tuneable as something on a mustang or something, I'm most likely wrong on that statement, maybe there's an aftermarket solution out now that could compensate. The idea of being able to have a factory style setup with lockup OD.

What is needed to fit these monsters of a transmission into a classic? I know the lengths are a bit different requiring a different way to mount the transmission at the back, what about floorpan modifications? I wonder if there would be any issues using a floor shifter as well.

PM sent.

Re: MPI Fuel Injection Kit [Re: Mpi_duster] #1039338
07/25/11 03:35 PM
07/25/11 03:35 PM
NotRussia
2fast4yourBrain Offline
Whack top Dodger
2fast4yourBrain  Offline
Whack top Dodger

NotRussia
I'd be interested in the OBD II setup where I can control a 46RE.

You can tune the tranny? Shift points? Firmness? What else?

Re: MPI Fuel Injection Kit [Re: 2fast4yourBrain] #1039339
07/25/11 10:41 PM
07/25/11 10:41 PM
Dayton, Ohio
W
wldtm Offline
super stock
wldtm  Offline
super stock
W

Dayton, Ohio
I think it is a great idea. However, I too have advertised this idea here in Moparts for the past 3-4 months for an OBD 1 harness that is made from and old dakota harness. See the Modern MOPAR Parts Forsale section.

I put a price on it of 300$ for harness, its wrapped, and with a PCM to go with it.

I have had interest in others making a harness they alread have, etc. but not one single offer on this harness. That is why it is currently not listed in the forsale section.

I havea 95 dakota, with a cam, intake, ported throttle body, etc and it runs on a OBD 1 harness. This truck runs at 13.60s so the misconception of having no ability to do some minor modifications is somewhat misleading.

THe option of the OBD2 harness would be the best IMO, but for me it takes more time. However, you do get the ability to use programmers which is great for a magnum 408 build etc. If you could do this harness cheap and pretty, I say this is the best option.

I have done two Magnum efi swaps with harnesses I have made in the past 3 months, and both have been great and on a very tight budget. One harness in a 68 Fury and one retrofitted into a 89 dodge dakota convertible with factory TBI. The Fury was the easier one.

I hope you can make a go of it, but I thought 300$ for a harness, relays, wrapped in powerbraid, and a PCM was a deal. Guess I am high on my price.

Got any pics of the install.

Justin

Interested in having you car wired? Drag car, street car, EFI swap? PM for details
Re: MPI Fuel Injection Kit [Re: 2fast4yourBrain] #1039340
07/26/11 12:50 AM
07/26/11 12:50 AM
tampa, FL
M
Mpi_duster Offline OP
Mpi_duster  Offline OP
M

tampa, FL
Quote:

I'd be interested in the OBD II setup where I can control a 46RE.

You can tune the tranny? Shift points? Firmness? What else?

Even on the RE trannies to my knowledge there isn't much that can be tuned, but I haven't ever tuned one. The person to ask would be "hemifever" over at Dakota-Durango.com, he has a lot of experience tuning the magnum engines. As well as a great reputation for quality work and treating people right.

Re: MPI Fuel Injection Kit [Re: wldtm] #1039341
07/26/11 12:55 AM
07/26/11 12:55 AM
tampa, FL
M
Mpi_duster Offline OP
Mpi_duster  Offline OP
M

tampa, FL
Yes you can modify the OBD1 engines, but there is a lot left on the table in doing so because of the limited options tuning compared to OBD2. If my message comes across as you "can't" modify them then I need to work on my phrasing.

I'll have to get my camera out and get some pictures of the OBD2 in my duster. But right now I don't have any of the obd2, I'll look through my computer I think I have a couple from when it was OBD1 and TT.

If people aren't willing to pay $300 for it and to have it plug and chug then yes you're right it won't be worth doing. Because any other alternative is going to be $1000+, even megasquirt once you get all of the proper sensors and relays will be $900+ and that is anything but plug and play. But thats why I'm doing research before I jump into this. Appreciate the comments though.

Re: MPI Fuel Injection Kit [Re: Mpi_duster] #1039342
07/26/11 09:30 AM
07/26/11 09:30 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
I'd be interested in one for an OBDII, since I still have the MP computer from my '96 ram 5.2/5speed....only issue for me is my 318 is a LA block/mag head, so I'd have to figure out a way to mount the crank trigger.....

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: MPI Fuel Injection Kit [Re: Mpi_duster] #1039343
07/26/11 09:39 AM
07/26/11 09:39 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Years ago,
I remember reading a post from a Dodge dealership tech
that said that the 1994-1995 OBD-I PCM systems had a 0 to 6 degree adjustable ignition timing retard setting that the official Chrysler DRB could set.

Anyone know if this is true
and where in the menu it can be applied?

Is such as setting also available in the DRB menus for the Mopar Performance PCM for those 1994-1995 OBD-I years?

Can a DRB-2 like this one on eBay make this adjustment?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-Chr...f#ht_2953wt_879

After 1996 with the OBD-II PCM systems
it appears that a complete 'flash' of the PCM was necessary to do ignition timing adjustments,
such as the infamous 'Death Flash' applied to 5.2/5.9 V8 trucks that were pinging on 87 octane gasoline.

Re: MPI Fuel Injection Kit [Re: 360view] #1039344
07/26/11 10:17 AM
07/26/11 10:17 AM
tampa, FL
M
Mpi_duster Offline OP
Mpi_duster  Offline OP
M

tampa, FL
Quote:

Years ago,
that said that the 1994-1995 OBD-I PCM systems had a 0 to 6 degree adjustable ignition timing retard setting that the official Chrysler DRB could set.

it appears that a complete 'flash' of the PCM was necessary to do ignition timing adjustments,
such as the infamous 'Death Flash' applied to 5.2/5.9 V8 trucks that were pinging on 87 octane gasoline.

I don't know much about the DRB-2, but to my knowledge the only way to program the OBD1 engines is the replace the chip within the unit.

Re: MPI Fuel Injection Kit [Re: Mpi_duster] #1039345
07/26/11 12:16 PM
07/26/11 12:16 PM
Dayton, Ohio
W
wldtm Offline
super stock
wldtm  Offline
super stock
W

Dayton, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Years ago,

I don't know much about the DRB-2, but to my knowledge the only way to program the OBD1 engines is the replace the chip within the unit.

I think what the tech was refering to was the phasing of the cam sensor in the distributor. It shows 0, +1, etc.

I am not sure that this is actually controling the ignition timing directly as the PCM I think can still over rule that. (Hence the reason for the flash instead of having a tech just retard the distibutor a few degrees).

I did not mean to sound like you were saying the OBD 1 computers are not able to support functions. However, others, and myself that I have talked to always thought that OBD 1 computers would not support hardly any mods, and after buying this truck and throwing in a stock computer, I can tell you that my misconception and others is wrong.

I wanted to build a 408 with a magnum harness for my 69 barracuda, but instead went with a 5.7 hemi and factory efi.

My reason for the OBD 1 harness is it is cheap and not labor intensive to make, and you can find 94-95 dakota with a bad trans for under 500 bucks and you have almost everything you need to put a cheap efi set up in any old mopar. On both swaps I helped with, thats what the customers bought, both had bad trans (imagine that).

I would love to see your pics. PS look in the Best of Moparts Tech Archives, and there is some info on my buddies car. I think it is 5.2 in an E-body is the tite. The pictures are before we wrapped the harness.

Interested in having you car wired? Drag car, street car, EFI swap? PM for details
Re: MPI Fuel Injection Kit [Re: Mpi_duster] #1039346
07/26/11 12:42 PM
07/26/11 12:42 PM
Tulsa oklahoma USA
2734bbl Offline
2734bbl  Offline

Tulsa oklahoma USA
If it was me I woulda left the "I'm interested only if it's cheap" part of the Poll out completely.

I feel the package that wldtm(justin) sells is a good deal at $300 because buying a EFI package for Gen III Hemi is $1,500(way,way too high IMHO) and up.If I had a project going in that direction I would jump on this.

OBD 1 is OK but I feel having a package for OBD I and OBD II is redundant. I would just do the OBD II so the end user can leave it as-is or tune it with SCT or whatever else as their project evolves.

Hemifever(Sean) is a good guy. I have his SCT tune on my 98 5.9L Grand Cherokee Limited and it came with 3 different settings I can download in a minute or two and I can change the tune anytime by contacting him if I change cam or heads or CID or whatever. Good stuff and a good value for the $.

It may not be as good as F.A.S.T or similar but I think for 85% of us it will do what we need it to do without all the extra hoop-la.

As far as what Trans to use I would stay with the 96 and back because it's alot simpler to wire.A 90-92 non lock up A518 is even simpler and opens up the use of good performance converters.

I'd be curious to see what it would take to adapt OBD II for use on a B/RB engine. THAT would be neat-O.

Re: MPI Fuel Injection Kit [Re: wldtm] #2816850
09/03/20 10:34 PM
09/03/20 10:34 PM
Etown Ky
S
sidearmstevo Offline
sidearmstevo  Offline
S

Etown Ky
Is there a way to contact you? I'm trying to put a 318 magnum and transmission from a 1995 Ram 1500 in my 68 Valiant, and this setup may be what I need. The forum won't let me pm you.