N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Well, I just ordered a new $17.88 carb from Amazon for my Troy Bilt with Briggs 550EX "no start" engine. We'll see what happens! Also, I switched over to ethanol-free fuel after the last trip to the small engine guy & that did not fix my yearly spring no-start problem, AND I do use Sea Foam every fall. (I hardly ever use the mower)

This thing has been nothing but a POS ever since it was new. I maybe have 6 hours on it.

Well, I just had time to install the new Chinee carb & first pull it started right up, but it runs at a low-ish RPM & it surges. There is some kind of solenoid & I'ma wondering if this is the cause of the surge? You can watch the linkage moving which causes the surge. There is no throttle control with this mower - it's either full on or off. This thing is SUCH a piece of crap!

Well it shouldn't be a dirty fuel or air passage/jet in a new carburetor. Have you tried increasing the governor running speed. Pretty simple and if you have an inductive pickup tach it's even more simple to get it to run at 3,600 - 3,800 RPM. Just takes bending a tab to do. If that doesn't take care of the surging then you need to find where the fuel starvation is happening in the fuel tank to the carburetor. Some fuel tanks have a screen type filter in the bottom of the fuel tank to the external fuel line that feeds the carb so I would start there if increasing the governor speed doesn't do the trick. Here's a simple back yard way to increase the governor speed but watch your toes, feet, hands, pets and children when you tape the safety bar to be able to walk to the front of the mover to bend the governor spring tab to adjust it while running. I usually in a pinch can access the tab without removing anything and can bend it a little at a time with the engine not running. If you can have someone start and keep it running while you check the RPM with a tach it's a lot safer. It only takes a little bending of the tab to increase the max RPM.

What the poster of this video says about the tab being pushed back by shrubbery or sticks and branches is true and the most common reason that they seem to lose power and owners bring them in for a "tune-up" or service. Very easy "fix" and way to make a happy owner.............or if you want to be underhanded and an a-hole sell them a new mower...........me I adjust the RPM no charge except for maybe a spark plug and maybe an air and fuel filter.

Re: Getting beat down by a lawn mower [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2796080
07/13/20 09:30 AM
07/13/20 09:30 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
I had issues with the plastic carb on my B&S, after farting about with it and spending a lot of time with it in the ultrasonic cleaner I got online and bought a brand new B&S carb from B&S for about $25 delivered.

Might be time to think about that.

Re: Getting beat down by a lawn mower [Re: Sniper] #2796276
07/13/20 06:53 PM
07/13/20 06:53 PM
Harriman NY
71GTX471 Offline
top fuel
71GTX471  Offline
top fuel

Harriman NY
There's not much to these B&S carbs I rebuild them all the time,the main jet is the bowl retaining screw I know u know that,sounds like the low speed circuit has a blockage it feeds the transfer slots by the throttle blade,try revving it up & stick your thumb over the carb opening possibly sucking out the blockage,worked for me several times.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3