Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Online content
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Online Content
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Everyone knows, or should know, the best tires go on the front. Especially on a FWD vehicle.

#1 You don't want a blow out on the steering axle.
#2 Front tires typically wear faster. Equalize wear on all 4 tires.
#3 Better control and traction on slick surfaces.

Never been in a shop where this wasn't observed.

Now the rotation procedure for non-directional radial tires is open to debate. Although I use the same old method we were taught years ago.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Calling on all knowledgeable ones [Re: CMcAllister] #2757285
03/29/20 03:59 PM
03/29/20 03:59 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOrk !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
....or SHOULD KNOW ? xmaseek

cMac ... saying that might get you hammer grin

Re: Calling on all knowledgeable ones [Re: CMcAllister] #2757439
03/29/20 11:14 PM
03/29/20 11:14 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Everyone knows, or should know, the best tires go on the front. Especially on a FWD vehicle.

Now the rotation procedure for non-directional radial tires is open to debate. Although I use the same old method we were taught years ago.

1) A blow out on either end of a vehicle at 90 mph isn't fun any way you look at it, and yes, I've experienced both. After the shock of the initial discovery of the instant flat, and after the 1st few seconds of driver response, there really isn't much difference, if the proper responses were taken.
2) I had a Buick that must have had a bent rear axle housing, I took tires off the rear end and put them on the front so they would wear straight.
3) Apparently you have never experienced a loss of traction on the rear on wet pavement on a curve. If you loose front traction on a curve, you tend to go straight, but if you loose rear traction on a curve, the odds of rear end coming around past the front end are pretty high. Once the rear comes past the front, you are pretty well out of control and are along for the ride. You could have a completely different opinion. Gene

Re: Calling on all knowledgeable ones [Re: poorboy] #2757781
03/30/20 09:12 PM
03/30/20 09:12 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
dOrk !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Originally Posted by poorboy

1) A blow out on either end of a vehicle at 90 mph isn't fun any way you look at it, and yes, I've experienced both. After the shock of the initial discovery of the instant flat, and after the 1st few seconds of driver response, there really isn't much difference, if the proper responses were taken.
2) I had a Buick that must have had a bent rear axle housing, I took tires off the rear end and put them on the front so they would wear straight.
3) Apparently you have never experienced a loss of traction on the rear on wet pavement on a curve. If you loose front traction on a curve, you tend to go straight, but if you loose rear traction on a curve, the odds of rear end coming around past the front end are pretty high. Once the rear comes past the front, you are pretty well out of control and are along for the ride. You could have a completely different opinion. Gene

Pb ... yur a NAUGHTY BOY! ... going 90 mph !

Re: Calling on all knowledgeable ones [Re: dOrk !] #2757820
03/30/20 11:06 PM
03/30/20 11:06 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

Pb ... yur a NAUGHTY BOY! ... going 90 mph !

That was when I was young and indestructible, and besides, you don't know where I may have been driving 90 mph, maybe it was legal there and at that time....

Re: Calling on all knowledgeable ones [Re: poorboy] #2757909
03/31/20 09:51 AM
03/31/20 09:51 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia

We agree any blow out is not fun.
However, at 90mph, a few seconds is nearly 300' of travel. That is a lot of travel.

The effect on steering by an effectively flat tire on the front is nearly instantaneous (not a few seconds), and results in a change of major front end stagger. My experiences with a truck front tire blow is an immediate unintended full travel lane change. My thinking in hindsight had I tried to immediately correct while the truck and suspension was stabilizing, everything could have quickly gone out of control. My racing instruction taught in a failure its best to diligently ride it out while you recover control, with gentle steering inputs because with a blown front tire, the steering characteristics have changed radically.

Rear tire sudden stagger doesn't have the same immediate steering effects from a blow out, and steering is an immediate useful tool to help regain any needed control.

Not to burst anybody's bubble here, but this discussion seems to assume a tire with more tread is less likely to blow out then one with less. Not sure we should blindly accept that.
Hydro planning is however directly related to tread depth.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3