SE Pa.
L
LimeliteAero Offline OP
master
LimeliteAero  Offline OP
master
L

SE Pa.
for the guys doing premium restos and for the guys doing it themselves please ponder this.

Which do you prefer, The aged/yellowed look for the underhood plastics or the virgin white look?

I wish I was around these cars when they were new to have noticed this sort of thing.

Re: high level restorations [Re: LimeliteAero] #266499
03/25/09 09:46 PM
03/25/09 09:46 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
aged/yellowed

Re: high level restorations [Re: LimeliteAero] #266500
03/25/09 09:50 PM
03/25/09 09:50 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Aged/Yellowed....Which BTW was what most of those items looked like when brand new.

Re: high level restorations [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #266501
03/25/09 10:10 PM
03/25/09 10:10 PM
Houston, Tx
hemi68charger Offline
master
hemi68charger  Offline
master

Houston, Tx
Quote:

Aged/Yellowed....Which BTW was what most of those items looked like when brand new.

That's weird, that describes me.. Stinks getting old.

Troy

Troy
Houston Mopar Connection Club
'69 Charger Daytona 440 - auto - 4.10 Dana (now with 426 hemi)
'69 Charger 500 440 - 4speed - 3.54 Dana
'70 Road Runner 383 - 4speed - a/c (now with 440)
Re: high level restorations [Re: LimeliteAero] #266502
03/25/09 10:40 PM
03/25/09 10:40 PM
Buffalo, NY U.S.A.
MrNormsTA Offline
master
MrNormsTA  Offline
master

Buffalo, NY U.S.A.
For the new resto, I like white. The yellow just doesn't look right with everything else, just my .

Rick.

Re: high level restorations [Re: MrNormsTA] #266503
03/25/09 10:44 PM
03/25/09 10:44 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

For the new resto, I like white. The yellow just doesn't look right with everything else, just my .

Rick.

The yellow actually DOES look "right" (as in OEM correct) it just not viewed be as being as "pretty" as some prefer things to be. When it comes to improving on what the factory did that's when people decide what thier priorities are, duplicating a truely factory OEM appearance, or trying to improve upon that look and making it fit thier personal preferences.

Re: high level restorations [Re: LimeliteAero] #266504
03/25/09 10:56 PM
03/25/09 10:56 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

for the guys doing premium restos and for the guys doing it themselves please ponder this.

Which do you prefer, The aged/yellowed look for the underhood plastics or the virgin white look?

I wish I was around these cars when they were new to have noticed this sort of thing.

I hate to open this can of worms but injected molded plastics such as washer bottles, wire straps, etc…. were no more “yellow” than newspapers were when they were first printed. Before starting ECS I worked as a systems engineer for factory automation and robotic systems. One of my accounts was a company called RUSTIQUE ENTERPRISES in St. Charles, MO. They manufacture building components that incorporate plastic injected molded parts in their product lines. They had huge containers of pea sized plastic pellets (of various colors) that were used to form their siding materials.
I took an original 1969 Firebird washer bottle to my business contact (actually a good friend) and asked him how hard it would be to re-manufacture them. He gave me quite a lesson on bakelite and celluloid plastic materials. He said the type of plastic that was used to make these components tended to yellow and crack over time. That type of aging would be normal for the type of celluloid material that was used to make these “cheap” items. I have replacement GM washer bottles from 1986 that have turned yellow over the years. If you look at the replacement bottles manufactured by Kent Q., he has to add tan pigment to his bottles to get the desired “aged” look. By doing so, it totally changes the “bubbled/aerated” look of the natural clear plastic material. Take a look at an original bottle. It has tiny bubbles trapped inconsistently throughout the plastic. The “yellowed” reproduction bottles are dense and without the “correct” trapped molded bubbles, due to the addition of tan coloring in the plastic. Check it out and you can see the differences for yourself. Original plastic components were not “yellow” when they were first formed and injected. Time was the resulting factor for that particular feature and look!

Re: high level restorations [Re: ECS] #266505
03/25/09 11:05 PM
03/25/09 11:05 PM
Buffalo, NY U.S.A.
MrNormsTA Offline
master
MrNormsTA  Offline
master

Buffalo, NY U.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

I hate to open this can of worms but injected molded plastics such as washer bottles, wire straps, etc…. were no more “yellow” than newspapers were when they were first printed. Before starting ECS I worked as a systems engineer for factory automation and robotic systems. One of my accounts was a company called RUSTIQUE ENTERPRISES in St. Charles, MO. They manufacture building components that incorporate plastic injected molded parts in their product lines. They had huge containers of pea sized plastic pellets (of various colors) that were used to form their siding materials.
I took an original 1969 Firebird washer bottle to my business contact (actually a good friend) and asked him how hard it would be to re-manufacture them. He gave me quite a lesson on bakelite and celluloid plastic materials. He said the type of plastic that was used to make these components tended to yellow and crack over time. That type of aging would be normal for the type of celluloid material that was used to make these “cheap” items. I have replacement GM washer bottles from 1986 that have turned yellow over the years. If you look at the replacement bottles manufactured by Kent Q., he has to add tan pigment to his bottles to get the desired “aged” look. By doing so, it totally changes the “bubbled/aerated” look of the natural clear plastic material. Take a look at an original bottle. It has tiny bubbles trapped inconsistently throughout the plastic. The “yellowed” reproduction bottles are dense and without the “correct” trapped molded bubbles, due to the addition of tan coloring in the plastic. Check it out and you can see the differences for yourself. Original plastic components were not “yellow” when they were first formed and injected. Time was the resulting factor for that particular feature and look!

Thanks for that info. That is kind of what I have heard. Frank Baldason recommended a white as well when I recently ordered some parts from him and asked him some questions. Guess it is just what kind of look you are after. New resto to me means "new" as delivered.

Rick.

Re: high level restorations [Re: MrNormsTA] #266506
03/25/09 11:17 PM
03/25/09 11:17 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Yeah what Dave said is dead on -many NOS parts will be yellow merly from time. Initially the yellowed parts repod by QQE were meant to fill a gap and provide "survivor" cars something new that would compliment the rest of the car.

Re: high level restorations [Re: ECS] #266507
03/25/09 11:18 PM
03/25/09 11:18 PM
PA
B
BS27ROB Offline
enthusiast
BS27ROB  Offline
enthusiast
B

PA
Quote:

Dave,

Can of worms aside, what is your answer to the original question? One of your goals on your latest projects is to have the fewest repro parts possible, so which do you choose, the original which in the best case will still be yellowed somewhat, or the repro for the same look as when new? I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, I'm just curious which way you see it.

Thanks Cy

Re: high level restorations [Re: MrNormsTA] #266508
03/25/09 11:26 PM
03/25/09 11:26 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

New resto to me means "new" as delivered.
Rick.

That has been a big problem in the past with the way things have been translated concerning survivors. These cars may have exhibited flaws and imperfections but they were NEW flaws and imperfections. This holds true for any perishable item on a car. (Which includes just about every part.) From the day a vehicle is manufactured, it starts to oxidize and break down. I had to chuckle at a comment made by a forum member (in another thread) stating that this “stuff” is not a “science”. It most certainly is if you want to fully understand, interpret or discover the causes of why things happened after 40+ years of exposure. Restoring hundreds of pieces on a car will certainly mandate having to understand the “science“ behind the composite parts!

Re: high level restorations [Re: ECS] #266509
03/25/09 11:35 PM
03/25/09 11:35 PM
Buffalo, NY U.S.A.
MrNormsTA Offline
master
MrNormsTA  Offline
master

Buffalo, NY U.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

New resto to me means "new" as delivered.
Rick.

That has been a big problem in the past with the way things have been translated concerning survivors. These cars may have exhibited flaws and imperfections but they were NEW flaws and imperfections. This holds true for any perishable item on a car. (Which includes just about every part.) From the day a vehicle is manufactured, it starts to oxidize and break down. I had to chuckle at a comment made by a forum member (in another thread) stating that this “stuff” is not a “science”. It most certainly is if you want to fully understand, interpret or discover the causes of why things happened after 40+ years of exposure. Restoring hundreds of pieces on a car will certainly mandate having to understand the “science“ behind the composite parts!

I really enjoy these posts and your input as well Dave. Let me rephrase, new to me, means my wiper bottle will be as delivered, I think, lol. The rest will be over restored by most standards. That is the beauty of each resto, so many choices to be made and for some doing the over the top factory delivered parts, the change will be taking place to the metal before the resto rolls out the door.

Rick.

Re: high level restorations [Re: BS27ROB] #266510
03/25/09 11:39 PM
03/25/09 11:39 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

One of your goals on your latest projects is to have the fewest repro parts possible, so which do you choose, the original which in the best case will still be yellowed somewhat, or the repro for the same look as when new?

I am using the original bottle. I spent HOURS using every method I could to remove/eliminate any exterior staining that might have existed. Since it is a chemical composite breakdown within the plastic, it was impossible to get a cleaner looking finish. The plastic oxidized (yellowed) beneath the top surface! The washer bottle on my A Body is VERY nice but has some signs of discoloring. At least it has done so consistently and not in a splotchy fashion!

Re: high level restorations [Re: BS27ROB] #266511
03/25/09 11:45 PM
03/25/09 11:45 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

One of your goals on your latest projects is to have the fewest repro parts possible...

Hello Cy!
We will have NO reproduction parts on the Valiant. I was even able to locate original gaskets for the rear end housing, axle shafts, etc....
Original to the car or NOS pieces. Absolutely No repo parts!

Re: high level restorations [Re: ECS] #266512
03/25/09 11:51 PM
03/25/09 11:51 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Do you guys REALLY want to start debating the various physical properties of plastics?

Ready when you are

Trust me when I say this, MANY componants of our old cars had a yellow or off white cast to them fresh out of the molds that made them.

Re: high level restorations [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #266513
03/26/09 12:50 AM
03/26/09 12:50 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

Do you guys REALLY want to start debating the various physical properties of plastics?

Ready when you are

There is no debate when discussing the physical properties of celluloid plastics. It is what it is! Here is a brief synopsis on the subject. (Pay special attention to the first sentence in the last paragraph.)

CELLULOSE BASED PLASTICS:

…..Hyatt was something of an industrial genius who understood what could be done with such a shapeable, or "plastic," material, and proceeded to design much of the basic industrial machinery needed to produce good-quality plastic materials in quantity. Since cellulose was the main constituent used in the synthesis of his new material, Hyatt named it "celluloid." It was introduced in 1863.…

Celluloid's real breakthrough products were waterproof shirt collars, cuffs, and the false shirt fronts known as "dickies," whose unmanageable nature later became a stock joke in silent-movie comedies. They didn't wilt and didn't stain easily, and Hyatt sold them by trainloads. Corsets made with celluloid stays also proved popular, since perspiration didn't rust the stays, as it would if they had been made of metal.

Celluloid proved extremely versatile in its fields of application, providing a cheap and attractive replacement for ivory, tortoise-shell, and bone. Traditional products that had used these materials were much easier to fabricate with plastics. Some of the items made with cellulose in the 19th century were beautifully designed and implemented. For example, celluloid combs made to tie up the long tresses of hair fashionable at the time are now jewel-like museum pieces. Such pretty trinkets were no longer only for the rich.

Celluloid could also be used in entirely new applications. Hyatt figured out how to fabricate the material in a strip format for movie film. By the year 1900, movie film was a major market for celluloid.

However, celluloid still tended to yellow and crack over time, and it had another, more dangerous defect: it burned easily and spectacularly, unsurprising given that mixtures of nitric acid and cellulose are also used to synthesize smokeless powder….

Re: high level restorations [Re: ECS] #266514
03/26/09 01:03 AM
03/26/09 01:03 AM
SE Pa.
L
LimeliteAero Offline OP
master
LimeliteAero  Offline OP
master
L

SE Pa.
A lot of info here for sure, Im still undecided which way to go. I guess its a good thing I have some time to figure it out.

maybe Ill just buy FM's $1,000 NOS washer bottle that way I get a real date coded new part that has yellowed a lil bit.

Re: high level restorations [Re: LimeliteAero] #266515
03/26/09 01:07 AM
03/26/09 01:07 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
You do that & I'll personally come out & stamp STUPID on your forehead...

Re: high level restorations [Re: ECS] #266516
03/26/09 01:09 AM
03/26/09 01:09 AM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
Do we know that these bottles are cellulose? Does anyone have any engineering drawings or automotive company material specs from back then that say that is what they used? Or else, has someone done a material analysis at a lab?
Cellulose doesn't seem like a very good material for an underhood environment, I would expect it to have been some sort of nylon.

Re: high level restorations [Re: Mastershake340] #266517
03/26/09 01:21 AM
03/26/09 01:21 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

CELLULOSE BASED PLASTICS:

Dave.

Please list some common under hood Mopar items that are made from cellulose based plastics.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5