Canada
WO23Coronet Offline
master
WO23Coronet  Offline
master

Canada
Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
I advance all my SB cams.. I have been from 99* to 108* on some
but NEVER retarted... 99* had great torque but ran out of RPMs..
I tend to stay just a couple degrees advanced
wave

Can you explain why advancing the cam is always referenced to the LSA? What is the relation between them? I know its an easy reference (it's 4 degrees advanced etc) but wouldn't it be more important to be concerned on the opening point of the intake for installation purposes rather than how far apart the exhaust and intake lobes are? If a cam with a 106 LSA runs well/makes more power at a 102/104 ICL, why wouldn't a cam with the same lobe specs but a 114 LSA also like being installed at 102/104 ICL? Or would it, and the old "install it X degrees advanced" has become so entrenched as common knowledge/settled science/popular opinion its what guys automatically spout?

Re: 360 roller cam - safe to retard a few degrees? [Re: WO23Coronet] #2640276
04/02/19 04:25 PM
04/02/19 04:25 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Originally Posted by WO23Coronet
Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
I advance all my SB cams.. I have been from 99* to 108* on some
but NEVER retarted... 99* had great torque but ran out of RPMs..
I tend to stay just a couple degrees advanced
wave

Can you explain why advancing the cam is always referenced to the LSA? What is the relation between them? I know its an easy reference (it's 4 degrees advanced etc) but wouldn't it be more important to be concerned on the opening point of the intake for installation purposes rather than how far apart the exhaust and intake lobes are? If a cam with a 106 LSA runs well/makes more power at a 102/104 ICL, why wouldn't a cam with the same lobe specs but a 114 LSA also like being installed at 102/104 ICL? Or would it, and the old "install it X degrees advanced" has become so entrenched as common knowledge/settled science/popular opinion its what guys automatically spout?

I was using a known LSA cam based on what the card said checking
with the wheel.. with advancing the cam I,m moving both the intake
and exhaust points.. otherwise I need a new cam so moving it works
for me
wave

Re: 360 roller cam - safe to retard a few degrees? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2640310
04/02/19 05:34 PM
04/02/19 05:34 PM
Shelby mi.
J
JAKE68 Offline
pro stock
JAKE68  Offline
pro stock
J

Shelby mi.
You said you wanted to check to see if jasper phased the cam right. I can tell you that I have been to their plant and everything is installed dot to dot. So if they where off 1 tooth it would have been a tured.. they only use stock profile cams and if it was a roller motor they would have most likely used the original cam ft cams get replaced. If you retard that cam you would be very disappointed in the performance. If you go and waist your time and go and check the degree of that stock cam for what ever purpose you might as well put something in there that would make a difference in performance. By the way jasper dose not use junk parts. For a stock production reman motor they are the premier remanufacture

JAKES AUTOMOTIVE
Re: 360 roller cam - safe to retard a few degrees? [Re: JAKE68] #2640349
04/02/19 07:17 PM
04/02/19 07:17 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted by JAKE68
You said you wanted to check to see if jasper phased the cam right. I can tell you that I have been to their plant and everything is installed dot to dot. So if they where off 1 tooth it would have been a tured.. they only use stock profile cams and if it was a roller motor they would have most likely used the original cam ft cams get replaced. If you retard that cam you would be very disappointed in the performance. If you go and waist your time and go and check the degree of that stock cam for what ever purpose you might as well put something in there that would make a difference in performance. By the way jasper dose not use junk parts. For a stock production reman motor they are the premier remanufacture

Dot to dot means nothing. Never has, never will.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: 360 roller cam - safe to retard a few degrees? [Re: madscientist] #2640373
04/02/19 08:16 PM
04/02/19 08:16 PM
Scranton, PA
Montclaire Offline OP
master
Montclaire  Offline OP
master

Scranton, PA
Originally Posted by madscientist

Dot to dot means nothing. Never has, never will.

That's what their guy meant by "installed at TDC." Meaning no degree wheel, they rotate up to TDC and slam her home. Which is plenty enough to tell me I need to start at square one. As for the cam itself, I would go with a different grind but then I am looking at new springs since the stockers are marginal. All of that adds up and it's just not in the budget for now. If it moved a Ram truck, it'll move a 73 Charger.

Page 2 of 2 1 2