03/12/09 09:43 PM
03/12/09 09:43 PM
Down South
DaKuda Offline OP
super stock
DaKuda  Offline OP
super stock

Down South
I have an '03 Dakota R/T we are going to run in Sportsman this year. I need to install a line loc but have never done it on a late model. The truck has 4-wheel factory disc brakes with ABS (anti-lock brakes). I have been told I cant run a line loc with ABS but have seen others do it. What do I have to do to install one? Thanks

Re: Need help with Line Loc and late model with ABS [Re: DaKuda] #252091
03/12/09 11:47 PM
03/12/09 11:47 PM
Down South
DaKuda Offline OP
super stock
DaKuda  Offline OP
super stock

Down South

Re: Need help with Line Loc and late model with ABS [Re: DaKuda] #252092
03/13/09 12:36 AM
03/13/09 12:36 AM
BROOK PARK, OH
WILD BILL Offline
Senior Member of the Junior Dragster Club
WILD BILL  Offline

BROOK PARK, OH
If there's no rule limiting the # of line locks you can run why not put one in each line you want to lock all triggered by a single switch.

Is the system split front to rear or diagonaly?

Can you post (or email me) pics. I've never done a line lock on an abs system but I'll do my best to try and help.

Re: Need help with Line Loc and late model with ABS [Re: WILD BILL] #252093
03/13/09 12:51 AM
03/13/09 12:51 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
The type of ABS system will determine IF you can run one. OR you can simply unplug the thing when racing. IIRC an 03 Dakota is front to rear. So you should be able to do it but you are gonna have to unplug the ABS or fool the computer in some other way.

Brake fluid apply pressure is modulated according to wheel speed, degree of slip and rate of deceleration. Sensors at each front wheel convert wheel speed into electrical signals. These signals are transmitted to the CAB for processing and determination of wheel slip and deceleration rate. The ABS system has three fluid pressure control channels. The front brakes are controlled separately and the rear brakes in tandem. A speed sensor input signal indicating a high slip condition activates the CAB antilock program.
Simply put the system is designed to apply the brakes under certain conditions. The computer will read the wheel speed and note there isno wheels speed on the front,it will determine it to be a loss of traction and is going to apply the rear brakes. Easiest way would be to unplug the ABS fuse. This will cause the ABS warning lite to come on.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Need help with Line Loc and late model with ABS [Re: Al_Alguire] #252094
03/13/09 01:25 AM
03/13/09 01:25 AM
BROOK PARK, OH
WILD BILL Offline
WILD BILL  Offline

BROOK PARK, OH
ABS systems works by soloniods releasing pressure when activated. The soloniod vents the pressure then your foot on the pedal restores the pressure (w/ help for the accumulator if needed.) It will not apply pressure to the brakes without the pedal being applied.

I would imagine that the rear wheels spinning freely and the fronts being stopped might trigger a trouble code for the front wheel speed sensors.nn

Re: Need help with Line Loc and late model with ABS [Re: WILD BILL] #252095
03/13/09 01:50 AM
03/13/09 01:50 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
So you dont think with the line lock applied, thus applying pressure to the valves and the rear wheels showing input wheel speed to the system that it will cause the system to activate? I have not ever installed a line lock on a Dodge based ABS system so not sure I can answer it intelligently. I have seen issues like this on other makes however.

I guess if it needs actual brake pedal input to activate then the answer would be it should work fine other than a possible fault code. If however like some systems it reads inputs from pressure and wheel speed then I would think you may have an issue

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Need help with Line Loc and late model with ABS [Re: Al_Alguire] #252096
03/13/09 06:04 AM
03/13/09 06:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

So you dont think with the line lock applied, thus applying pressure to the valves and the rear wheels showing input wheel speed to the system that it will cause the system to activate? I have not ever installed a line lock on a Dodge based ABS system so not sure I can answer it intelligently. I have seen issues like this on other makes however.

I guess if it needs actual brake pedal input to activate then the answer would be it should work fine other than a possible fault code. If however like some systems it reads inputs from pressure and wheel speed then I would think you may have an issue

I have absolutely no experience with Mopar ABS (18 years at Ford dealers) but I would agree that without a brake pedal input signal I dont see why the system would try to activate. Set the line lock while at a dead stop and remove foot from pedal then all pressure would be trapped between the solenoid and caliper, the ABS wouldnt see any thing unusual. I can see a code being set when the rears spin w/o any front movement.

How about a switch/relay/circuit that disables the ABS when the line lock is activated? That would solve any problems. Also, I believe it will take 2 solenoids due to separate lines from the ABS pump to each front wheel (they can be wired together).

Pete

Re: Need help with Line Loc and late model with ABS [Re: DaKuda] #252097
03/13/09 08:26 AM
03/13/09 08:26 AM
Texas
6packattk Offline
mopar
6packattk  Offline
mopar

Texas
Was reading mopar muscle may issue and they had lx upgrades article for new 5.7 and 6.1 charger etc,slponline.com had made line loc solenoid for these type vehicles so I am sure it is capable of working on older models and I am sure trucks,they certainly would be worth a call and try.Had a simple toggle switch mounted on console by shifter.Phone number listed was 732-349-2109,Toms River ,NJ.It never hurts to plug anyone making any mopars faster.......hope this helps, the route listed above,looked like a pain to me.

Re: Need help with Line Loc and late model with ABS [Re: 6packattk] #252098
03/13/09 09:10 PM
03/13/09 09:10 PM
Down South
DaKuda Offline OP
super stock
DaKuda  Offline OP
super stock

Down South
Thanks guys. Im going to try it tomorrow. Anyone on here actually done it??

Re: Need help with Line Loc and late model with ABS [Re: DaKuda] #252099
03/13/09 09:14 PM
03/13/09 09:14 PM
Down South
DaKuda Offline OP
super stock
DaKuda  Offline OP
super stock

Down South
What would happen if I simply take the ABS fuse out. If I dont mind a light code coming on wouldnt this solve the problem?

Re: Need help with Line Loc and late model with ABS [Re: DaKuda] #252100
03/13/09 09:24 PM
03/13/09 09:24 PM
BROOK PARK, OH
WILD BILL Offline
WILD BILL  Offline

BROOK PARK, OH
Quote:

What would happen if I simply take the ABS fuse out. If I dont mind a light code coming on wouldnt this solve the problem?

Without the fuse the system would be inop and the hyd "normal" brake system would work as if it wasn't there.