07/02/18 10:59 PM
07/02/18 10:59 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
Chrysler (and the others) got it right 50 years ago.
The air cleaner snout has a diaphragm (vacuum-operated) flap with 2 positions:
1. is open to a duct leading to the radiator support, and allows ambient only.
2. is below the snout, selected by the flap closing, and admits pre-heated air passing over/through a shroud over the driver's side exhaust manifold.
3. what temperature the can's interior sees is determined by a thermal vacuum switch inside the can. When the engine and underhood temperature is low (cold day, cold start) it admits only pre-heated air until the can interior temperature is 150 degrees (?). Above this, it blends cold air to keep the temperature nearly constant for best mileage and accurate mixture.
4. in addition, low engine vacuum (WOT) opens the flap and admits only cold air for max power regardless of can temperature.

Other than a larger snout, this idea still works perfectly with very few components.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: Under hood temperature while moving [Re: kwikblownhemi] #2516642
07/02/18 11:06 PM
07/02/18 11:06 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Originally Posted By kwikblownhemi
I am running MS controlled MPEFI on a 480ci Hemi '69 B-body.
Edelbrock intake with 2x1000 cfm throttle bodies, with the IAT sensor originally in the air cleaner base between the throttle bodies.

I had the Ramcharger ductwork off the hood for a while. The IAT ran 60 degrees or so above ambient.

With the ductwork on and a good seal to the air cleaner, on the road IAT went to about 10 degrees above ambient.

Air temps 11 degrees cooler offer a potential HP gain of about 1% -assuming the mixture is corrected for the temp change.

As a sidenote, getting meaningful IAT is not easy. I dealt with sensor heatsoak issues on hot restarts. Moving the IAT sensor into the ductwork and modifying the sensor transfer function table cleared it up.

My experience is roughly the same... ambient + 50-60 degrees F in summer with open element air cleaner and EFI measuring intake temps. Colder denser intake air helps power.

Page 2 of 2 1 2