Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
Originally Posted By DUFFMAN
Originally Posted By Diego (not Ted)
Saying it's believable that a GLHS would be faster than a GN is like saying a 340 Dart Swinger would be faster than a solid-lifter 396 Chevelle. Is the A-body a giant-killer, capable of wreaking havoc on the Chevelle? Sure. But, all things being equal, it ain't faster than the L78.

The numbers don't lie. It may be hard to believe because you don't want to believe it, but I saw a lot of turbo Dodges put "muscle cars" to shame back in the day. Especially after a computer upgrade to increase the boost pressure. A $135 stage 1 computer would put that GLHS at 205 hp with a power to weight ratio of 11.2 lb/hp.

In 1986 Hot Rod magazine did an article to show how impressive the GLHS really was.
https://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexperience.cgi?experience_id=113

Post 1/4 mile times. Not power to weight ratio.
A chip, exhaust, and a better air intake, and an 86/87 GN would go very low 12’s all day. A

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: ] #2501682
05/29/18 12:09 PM
05/29/18 12:09 PM
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

I roughly tried to figure approx how many real street runs I put on my three 86-87 gn-s when new and easily I came up with over 2k runs easily.

Yep, there was alot of warranty work done but we started to mod them the day we got them home and other then the cat system we had to swap back on the dealers loved it.

In our group of fifty or so that would race at least five nights a week, approx racking up 200 miles a night my 86 that ran true 12.6-12.9s with simple mods and m@h racemaster cheater tires. 0-60 times were in the 4.5,4.6-4.7, probably could of done better but the m@h tires would slide the fronts with anymore then 6-7 pounds of boost. on nights it was -5 out they would be rockets.

You got to remember that most strong mopars that were street racers were in the 12-s and it was semi rare to find a real fast one.

The turbo dodges were never a threat but there wasnt many around either.

We were not racing the wrong cars, we raced all comers that were not bracket cars that came in on a trailer.

Only a good modded 5.0 or a 85/86 stick vette was a worry and the vette guys, even the ones that could drive right could only hang close.

No they were not 10-11 second cars but for the time period and the couple years they were new and fresh they were the hot ticket. Day in day out like todays modern cars you could go run after run over and over, the older junk could not.

But they were a fun car in a fun time period.

Whatever opinions folks have are all valid, but on this topic I was there day in day out and know how the other cars ran. My modded 86 only got beat on the streets by actual street cars when I messed up the launch, too low of boost or too much and smoked the tires off. We simply would not run against race cars that came on on a trailer.

The turbo mopars ran well but not well enough at that time, a modded conquest tsi was the better mopar/import based runner.

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: Spaceman Spiff] #2501684
05/29/18 12:13 PM
05/29/18 12:13 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff
Saying it's believable that a GLHS would be faster than a GN is like saying a 340 Dart Swinger would be faster than a solid-lifter 396 Chevelle. Is the A-body a giant-killer, capable of wreaking havoc on the Chevelle? Sure. But, all things being equal, it ain't faster than the L78.

The numbers don't lie. It may be hard to believe because you don't want to believe it, but I saw a lot of turbo Dodges put "muscle cars" to shame back in the day. Especially after a computer upgrade to increase the boost pressure. A $135 stage 1 computer would put that GLHS at 205 hp with a power to weight ratio of 11.2 lb/hp.

In 1986 Hot Rod magazine did an article to show how impressive the GLHS really was.
https://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexperience.cgi?experience_id=113

Post 1/4 mile times. Not power to weight ratio.
A chip, exhaust, and a better air intake, and an 86/87 GN would go very low 12’s all day. A

Quarter mile times aren't a good barometer because they can be dependent on a lot of different factors; driver skill, ambient temperature, barometric pressure, tires, etc. Based on the power to weight ratio, the numbers show that it is believable the a stock GLHS could beat a stock GN, especially an earlier one.

As far as mods, now that's going down a rabbit hole isn't it? However, I will say this. In 1987 a Chrysler LeBaron paced the Indy 500 with an 8 valve 2.2l turbo under the hood that produced more than 300 hp. All the parts that went into that engine build were available over the counter at your local Chrysler dealer. It was called the Super 60 package. And this was back in the late 1980', I'm not even talking about using current tech.

http://minimopar.net/perf/super60.html

No longer taking $h!t from anyone!
Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: Porter67] #2501688
05/29/18 12:20 PM
05/29/18 12:20 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Originally Posted By EV2Bird
I roughly tried to figure approx how many real street runs I put on my three 86-87 gn-s when new and easily I came up with over 2k runs easily.

Yep, there was alot of warranty work done but we started to mod them the day we got them home and other then the cat system we had to swap back on the dealers loved it.

In our group of fifty or so that would race at least five nights a week, approx racking up 200 miles a night my 86 that ran true 12.6-12.9s with simple mods and m@h racemaster cheater tires. 0-60 times were in the 4.5,4.6-4.7, probably could of done better but the m@h tires would slide the fronts with anymore then 6-7 pounds of boost. on nights it was -5 out they would be rockets.

You got to remember that most strong mopars that were street racers were in the 12-s and it was semi rare to find a real fast one.

The turbo dodges were never a threat but there wasnt many around either.

We were not racing the wrong cars, we raced all comers that were not bracket cars that came in on a trailer.

Only a good modded 5.0 or a 85/86 stick vette was a worry and the vette guys, even the ones that could drive right could only hang close.

No they were not 10-11 second cars but for the time period and the couple years they were new and fresh they were the hot ticket. Day in day out like todays modern cars you could go run after run over and over, the older junk could not.

But they were a fun car in a fun time period.

Whatever opinions folks have are all valid, but on this topic I was there day in day out and know how the other cars ran. My modded 86 only got beat on the streets by actual street cars when I messed up the launch, too low of boost or too much and smoked the tires off. We simply would not run against race cars that came on on a trailer.

The turbo mopars ran well but not well enough at that time, a modded conquest tsi was the better mopar/import based runner.

I think what it comes down to is that most of the GNs on the streets in the 1980s were already modified, while modifying Turbo Dodges didn't become popular in until the late 1990s.

My point is that the Turbo Dodges were also very impressive for their time, they just didn't get the recognition the GN and GNX ave received. I suspect because they're a rear wheel drive platform.

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: ] #2501709
05/29/18 01:02 PM
05/29/18 01:02 PM
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

I think your right in there Duffman, the turbo mopars never got noticed till later.

I still have my 84 twin stick turbo colt (the original turbo import, imo) that runs low 13-s and all ive done to it is a good clutch, open exhaust, a different turbo, not bigger just newer and more efficient. And bypassed the fuel pump relay to allow more boost as they were built to kick out the fuel pump on anything more then 10 psi but the can handle 13-15 pounds.

The buicks mods were a no brainer when new, then Kenny Bell and others jumped in real quick. If id of kept mine much longer id of been in the slow end of things because we did mods that never required wrenching on the motor itself but that was changing by the end of 87 already.

After so many years of clapped out muscle cars of the late sixties and early seventies and then the late 70- early 80-s being so pale it was a blast.

The only legit driver that caused me fits was a w2 headed 4 speed dart sport as it could get me at times, but he could also get the other 49 or so in our group at the time and there were alot of BB cars in the mix as well, a couple sprayed cars and a few street supercharged cars.

My mods were simple, first a test tube (cat delete) the a full true dual ex, a lower t stat, lower temp cooling fan relay, wastegate valve to burn off some vac to the wastgate, and a simple chip and m@h racemaster street slicks that had a 500 miles lifespan. And good fuel.

Our last mod that proved well and many turbo guys figured out in todays world, is we went from a stock 3:42 gear to a 3:73 and slowed a hair, then went to a 3:08 rear gear and picked up 2/10s over the 3:42.

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: ] #2501724
05/29/18 01:32 PM
05/29/18 01:32 PM
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

One last thought, the best moment ever was when I pulled out of the slow lane in traffic at 40 and with the oem tires when the boost hit the rear tires would always break loose and make alot of noise and in that line was a city cop.

He studdered and stammered and said these cars should not be legal or allowed on the streets. He was pretty shook, I will never forget how funny it was.

Todays cars are way faster and I question if they are really that dangerous as easy as they drive/perform.

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: Porter67] #2501732
05/29/18 01:49 PM
05/29/18 01:49 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Originally Posted By EV2Bird
Todays cars are way faster and I question if they are really that dangerous as easy as they drive/perform.

Even with more power modern cars are much less dangerous thanks to ABS, stability control and traction control.

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: DUFFMAN] #2501753
05/29/18 02:31 PM
05/29/18 02:31 PM
Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Diego (not Ted) Offline
Too Many Posts
Diego (not Ted)  Offline
Too Many Posts

Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC

Of course they don't – the GN was faster, but the GLHS was capable of beating it, just like what I said but you seemed to miss.

And talking about modified cars spanking cars you have no idea how they were modified (or not)? Not a good way to make a point.

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: Diego (not Ted)] #2501782
05/29/18 03:31 PM
05/29/18 03:31 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown

Of course they don't – the GN was faster, but the GLHS was capable of beating it, just like what I said but you seemed to miss.

And talking about modified cars spanking cars you have no idea how they were modified (or not)? Not a good way to make a point.

The original question was if it's believable that a Shelby Dodge could be faster than a Grand National and I think I proved that point. However, if you want to split hairs some more the published quarter mile times for the 1986-87 GLHS and GN were 14.7 sec. So in stock form they're at least equals.

I think the only reason they are remembered for being fast is, due to almost immediate aftermarket support, All the street GNs were modified beyond stock.

People here getting bent out of shape about it too.
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569319

Even the Grand National boys like the GLHS;
https://turbobuick.com/threads/omni-glh-turbo.100833/

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: DUFFMAN] #2501792
05/29/18 03:52 PM
05/29/18 03:52 PM
Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Diego (not Ted) Offline
Too Many Posts
Diego (not Ted)  Offline
Too Many Posts

Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
A stock GN running 14.7 is a slow GN.

FWIW, I worded poorly something previously – this is what it should have said:

And talking about modified cars spanking cars you have no idea how they (GN) were modified (or not)? Not a good way to make a point.

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: Diego (not Ted)] #2501795
05/29/18 04:00 PM
05/29/18 04:00 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
A stock GN running 14.7 is a slow GN.

Without any proof to back it that's just your opinion. All the numbers I posted are easily found through a quick Google search.

Real world example;
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569319

So again, it is believable that a Shelby Dodge can be faster than a Grand National.

Last edited by DUFFMAN; 05/29/18 04:02 PM.

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: DUFFMAN] #2501862
05/29/18 05:22 PM
05/29/18 05:22 PM
Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Diego (not Ted) Offline
Too Many Posts
Diego (not Ted)  Offline
Too Many Posts

Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Proof? There's several tests going high-13s to low-14.

Or should I find proof of a car with a chip like you did?

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: Diego (not Ted)] #2501885
05/29/18 05:51 PM
05/29/18 05:51 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Proof? There's several tests going high-13s to low-14.

Or should I find proof of a car with a chip like you did?

What car with a chip are you referring to? The provide link was a drag between a stock GLHS and a stock Gran National.

As far as proof, quit saying that the Grand National was able to pull a high-13 and provide some links. I present my side please show yours.

A lightly modded 1986 GLHS pulling a 13.2 sec quarter;
http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Omni-Timeslip-1054.html

Last edited by DUFFMAN; 05/29/18 06:00 PM.

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: Spaceman Spiff] #2501887
05/29/18 05:53 PM
05/29/18 05:53 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Originally Posted By RamblerMan
I don't see what all the fuss is about. have never seen one break out of the 14's. I have two buddies with them and while they are decent performers for their time-period, I've seen Turbo Dodges hand them their ass. My little Shelby will run right with my friends' GN. He'll usually get me by a nose because I have to shift while he doesn't. Big heavy boats that are still underpowered.

To me, they'll always be the cars my teachers drove in Grade School/High School. Granny's Grocery Getters.

Your STOCK Shelby, can run with a STOCK grand national?

This is the post that started the debate. The numbers I listed show that this is very possible.

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: ] #2501915
05/29/18 07:13 PM
05/29/18 07:13 PM
Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Diego (not Ted) Offline
Too Many Posts
Diego (not Ted)  Offline
Too Many Posts

Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: ] #2501933
05/29/18 08:06 PM
05/29/18 08:06 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
I don't know why you're so offended that the GLHS was just as fast as a Grand National?

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: DUFFMAN] #2501972
05/29/18 09:53 PM
05/29/18 09:53 PM
jersey
S
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
I don't see what all the fuss is about. have never seen one break out of the 14's. I have two buddies with them and while they are decent performers for their time-period, I've seen Turbo Dodges hand them their ass. My little Shelby will run right with my friends' GN. He'll usually get me by a nose because I have to shift while he doesn't. Big heavy boats that are still underpowered.

To me, they'll always be the cars my teachers drove in Grade School/High School. Granny's Grocery Getters.

This is the post that started the debate. The numbers I listed show that this is very possible.

you listed power to weight ratios.... not track times...
according to power to weight ratios, a 3900lb Hemi B body should have run 12.20's@110....

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: DUFFMAN] #2502019
05/29/18 11:31 PM
05/29/18 11:31 PM
Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Diego (not Ted) Offline
Too Many Posts
Diego (not Ted)  Offline
Too Many Posts

Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
I don't know why you're so offended that the GLHS was just as fast as a Grand National?

No one is offended except the Mopar guy trying to stuff the square peg into the round hole.

The GLHS, while a fun car, is not in the same league as the GN. It's all about reality.

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: Spaceman Spiff] #2502026
05/29/18 11:43 PM
05/29/18 11:43 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown

you listed power to weight ratios.... not track times...
according to power to weight ratios, a 3900lb Hemi B body should have run 12.20's@110....

"The official GLHS numbers were quarter-mile in 14.7 seconds, 0-60 in 6.5 sec,"

https://www.allpar.com/omni/GLHS.php

The same 14.7 sec 1/4 as Diago's Motor trend link shows. So yes, the GLHS could run with a normal 1986-1987 Grand National and is quicker than a 1982-1985 Grand National in stock form.

Re: Buick Grand National Time Capsule [Re: Diego (not Ted)] #2502027
05/29/18 11:48 PM
05/29/18 11:48 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown

No one is offended except the Mopar guy trying to stuff the square peg into the round hole.

The GLHS, while a fun car, is not in the same league as the GN. It's all about reality.

I've provided plenty of stock data, a heck of a lot more than you have, yet you don't seem to want to accept it.

As I stated earlier, and your link supports it, both the 1986-87 Grand National and GLHS have an official 1/4 mile time of 14.7 sec. But you're right they aren't in the same league, the GLHS will destroy a Grand National on a road course.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5