Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Be careful that your pistons fit the Indy head chamber.When ordering pistons we always specify for Indy head chamber. I would ask for the flow sheet for those heads and the chamber size and volume.Still wandering 450 cfm at what lift?

that is exactly my point! i specified cp hemi pistons to kenny and he said absolutly no problems with fit! now i know the difference and you already know it. i got lied to and two years later i still frustrated.

Jimi,We had the same problem years ago with a set of pistons we got from Chrysler,they smacked the heads front to back.They beat off the chamber and grenaded the engine in the lights at 142mph.It's not something you soon forget.

Re: Any problems with Indy hemi heads ? [Re: B G Racing] #249738
03/11/09 01:17 PM
03/11/09 01:17 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
Are stage 5 heads any better??? Don't remember ant major issues with their shtuff

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Re: Any problems with Indy hemi heads ? [Re: B G Racing] #249739
03/11/09 02:36 PM
03/11/09 02:36 PM
detroit area
M
moderncylinder Offline
top fuel
moderncylinder  Offline
top fuel
M

detroit area
i cut every set of indy heads i port back to the std hemi dome/chamber radius. i was amazed it wasnt a std hemi radius, i never asked russ why he changed it,, or if he knew.

jeff

Re: Any problems with Indy hemi heads ? [Re: moderncylinder] #249740
03/11/09 03:25 PM
03/11/09 03:25 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
I wonder if that's something new? I never had that problem with mine, but I bought probably the 6th set they ever made when they came out. Mines 11.6:1 with JE pistons, and never had that problem.

How can I measure one for this issue? I have them off the car currently.

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Any problems with Indy hemi heads ? [Re: B G Racing] #249741
03/11/09 03:57 PM
03/11/09 03:57 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Tony,I can't really answer that.I use them as a supplier,my engine programs are all developed around Indy blocks and heads.That we as engine builders go over most everything we use in a build insures that the product is correct is what everyone should do.To rely on the manufacture to build things to our specification would limit us to changes during the build.I'am very satisfied with the products and their CNC programs as well as their handling of our account.The staff have be very helful in resolving any issues that arise.As far as Russ and Kenny,they are very helpful and we very seldom bother them for every little problem,but when necessary they are always helpful.We make sure that our customers are satisfied since they rely on BGR for their needs.To be honest we have not had any complaints from customers that we drop ship direct from Indy to.No matter who the manufacture or supplier is the builder or end user must check everything.We are in the processing of correcting for use multipal sets of Jesel and T/D rockers as well as a lot of valve train componants that don't work or fit properly.Follow all the other post about Strange,Barry Grant,Comp Cams,Harland Sharp,440 Source and on and on.Seems no ones perfect.We do the best we can with what we have.When things are produced on a large scale anything can happen.I have no quick answer for anyone.

Bob thats not what I am talking about. doing a correct vavle job is not making them to a customers specs. quality control is the issue, hjere's my feelings for what it's worth. I have used many indy parts and like them. here's the but, if they are going to sell them they should tell people they are rough and need to be sent to a machine shop for correction. not every body knows to have BG or somebody else build them and make sure everything is correct. and thinking they are buying them directly from indy thinking they are right. if it were me I would have quality machine help and quality control to make sure nothing went out thats wasn't dead on. just a matter of pride to me, guess they don't have any..

Re: Any problems with Indy hemi heads ? [Re: max_maniac] #249742
03/11/09 04:48 PM
03/11/09 04:48 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Bob can you explain why we continue to see inferior work coming out of indy? seems like some body would make an effort to send things out that are right

98% of the people on this board have said the Indy stuff needs to be purchased through a 3rd party that will look over and clen up the stuff. Even Chris complained about Indy in the past but he is still willing to go direct through Indy get the Indy products through any WD and have them look them over and make them correct and you will have a great product

Russ

Russ, trust me, i wont ever buy direct from them again. i am going to get them from a indy dealer.
ARC built my hemi motor and it made great power so i will continue to let him build my motors and clearance all the parts for me. he is more than capable in checking the parts prior to assembly.

DRAGULA i also have 11.6 compression with JE pistons, im hoping there wont be any more machine work involved.
was wondering if the pistons will need to get flycut.

Re: Any problems with Indy hemi heads ? #249743
03/11/09 06:04 PM
03/11/09 06:04 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well anything that is mass produced is going to have what I call Go-No Go set of tolerances..
If you want it exact as possible that means CC each chamber, muli cut valve job and milling along with port matching...On our motors I usally get un-cut domes so I can fit domes to heads and flycut my own valve reliefs..Indy stuff has made it possible for Mopar racers to have some good componets to build with, instead of having to find 40 year old stuff to build motors with.

5086438-savoy006.jpg (142 downloads)
Re: Any problems with Indy hemi heads ? [Re: Jimi_Vignogna] #249744
03/11/09 10:07 PM
03/11/09 10:07 PM
Wichita Kansas
CH3NO2 Offline
super stock
CH3NO2  Offline
super stock

Wichita Kansas
in reality i did not do my checks like i should have because i trusted someone else, and growing up in a hemi s/s family i know better, i still feel after the money i spent there could have been some kind better customer/business response. i will never use indy for anything again i would build a pontiac with chevy heads and a ford car before i would call indy for anything.

You have trust issues. I don't trust anybody.

Engine by DeTar http://www.kansasbadman.com
Re: Any problems with Indy hemi heads ? [Re: CH3NO2] #249745
03/11/09 10:34 PM
03/11/09 10:34 PM
Addison,IL
OUTLAWSSAA Offline
super stock
OUTLAWSSAA  Offline
super stock

Addison,IL
Do yourself a favor before its to late and buys some Stage V's from Tim at FHO.
http://www.forhemisonly.com/

Re: Any problems with Indy hemi heads ? [Re: OUTLAWSSAA] #249746
03/11/09 11:31 PM
03/11/09 11:31 PM
Sonora CA
Mopar_Rich Offline
top fuel
Mopar_Rich  Offline
top fuel

Sonora CA
FWIW: I have used Indy heads when the customer specifically asks for them - otherwise I use Stage-V. But I have noticed that sometimes the Indy Hemi chambers are fine (meaning I didn't need a special piston) and other times I have seen them tight in one axis or another. For a street Hemi either would have worked, but as you start pushing the CR the dome fit becomes critical. Since then I always use clay to not only check for P-to-V, but I also put some clay around the outside so I can check for the "Squench". Once I found that the dome shape was okay, but the bore spacing was wrong which showed up with the clay check.

One rule that I think everybody will agree - NEVER use any parts out of the box regardless of the vendor! Have a good builder check and remachine as required.

Re: Any problems with Indy hemi heads ? [Re: Jimi_Vignogna] #249747
03/11/09 11:54 PM
03/11/09 11:54 PM
Indiana
maxie Offline
master
maxie  Offline
master

Indiana
I have decided to go ahead and build a 472 inch motor with mine. Mine will be in a street car and around 10-10.5 compression. I already have the dick landy roller rockers and a set of roller lifters. I plan on getting a camshaft in the 575-600 lift range. With the compression in that area is there still a possible head problem? I looked at the idy website and you can buy a rotating assembly for $1950 from them.

Re: Any problems with Indy hemi heads ? [Re: OUTLAWSSAA] #249748
03/12/09 08:15 AM
03/12/09 08:15 AM
Duloc
T
The Shadow Offline
top fuel
The Shadow  Offline
top fuel
T

Duloc
Quote:

Do yourself a favor before its to late and buys some Stage V's from Tim at FHO.
http://www.forhemisonly.com/

That's what I did
He had a set of cnc indy heads the last time I was there. The ports are the size of the millennium heads and the flow is nowhere near.

Tim.

Page 2 of 2 1 2