cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted By John Brown
Originally Posted By lockjaw-express
Weedburner, What is an engagement buffer? Diaphram Clutch? Dual disc?

Thank, Mark

http://clutchtamer.com ?

Got it book marked

Re: Soft Lok Clutch on the street [Re: RATTRAP] #2444845
02/01/18 08:34 PM
02/01/18 08:34 PM
PA
70HemiGTX Offline
top fuel
70HemiGTX  Offline
top fuel

PA
I've been thinking of going to a softloc clutch also for my Dart. I have a McLeod Street Twin in it now. I know the pressure plate is some-what adjustable. More than that.....I don't know. I'm reading and learning here. It also is a matter of how much I want to mess with stuff under the car. I'm getting older......

Re: Soft Lok Clutch on the street [Re: 70HemiGTX] #2444852
02/01/18 08:51 PM
02/01/18 08:51 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By 70HemiGTX
I've been thinking of going to a softloc clutch also for my Dart. I have a McLeod Street Twin in it now. I know the pressure plate is some-what adjustable. More than that.....I don't know. I'm reading and learning here. It also is a matter of how much I want to mess with stuff under the car. I'm getting older......

It's not bad if you have a window in the bell housing. I know a Stock racer who drilled a 1 inch hole in the face of the bell housing. He sets his static pressure through the hole and doesn't mess with counter weight.

Not having a window in the can would be a nightmare at my age.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Soft Lok Clutch on the street [Re: RATTRAP] #2444865
02/01/18 09:16 PM
02/01/18 09:16 PM
PA
70HemiGTX Offline
top fuel
70HemiGTX  Offline
top fuel

PA
No window in my Lakewood housing.... Would have to do that.

Re: Soft Lok Clutch on the street [Re: lockjaw-express] #2444872
02/01/18 09:26 PM
02/01/18 09:26 PM
Washington
W
weedburner Offline
weedburner  Offline
W

Washington
Originally Posted By lockjaw-express
Weedburner, What is an engagement buffer? Diaphram Clutch? Dual disc?

Thank, Mark

There are a few clutch buffers out there. Except for the ClutchTamer, most are for hydraulic release systems. Here's some links...
...Tilton Flow Control Valve
...Magnus Launch Control Device
...Clutchmasters Flow Control Valve
...ClutchTamer Clutch Slip Controller

Here are the basic differences between the "Magnus Launch Control" , the "Clutch Masters flow Control Valve", and the "ClutchTamer Clutch Slip Controller"...

1- Magnus unit requires "pre-loading" the clutch before launch to make the best of delayed reaction times.
...Clutch Masters also requires "pre-loading" the clutch before launch to make the best of delayed reaction times.
...No pre-loading with the ClutchTamer, and no delayed reaction times.

2- Magnus requires a solenoid bypass to solve it's problem of excessive clutch slip after WOT shifts, resulting in clutch engagement after WOT shifts that's too aggressive.
...Clutch Masters unit has no bypass solenoid, requiring a compromised launch with very little clutch slip to prevent excessive clutch slipping after WOT shifts.
...Clutchtamer strikes a balance between those extremes, creating a happy medium amount of clutch slip after WOT shifts that results in a quicker pass while simultaneously reducing impact on drivetrain components.

3- Magnus solenoid bypass allows quick return of the clutch pedal, meaning each push of the clutch pedal begins at the top of it's travel and includes the deadband travel.
...Clutch Masters unit has some clutch pedal return delay, but with it's compromise setting it's still quick enough that each push of the clutch pedal begins at the top of it's travel and includes the deadband travel.
...ClutchTamer controlled pedal does not have enough time to return to the top before WOT shifts, which effectively shortens pedal travel resulting in quicker WOT shifts.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3