01/14/18 02:44 PM
01/14/18 02:44 PM
Texas
Texican Offline OP
mopar
Texican  Offline OP
mopar

Texas
While installing my rear quarter glass (Power windows) in my 1970 Charger, we quickly found out that this was a real PTIA and the glass does not go all the way forward or all the way up.

1.) After a lot of twisting, turning and contortion, we finally got all the hardware bolted in and the power window switch & regulator connected (it worked great).
The regulator went up/down very quickly and without issue....but this was without the glass !

2.) After installing the "newly purchased" rear quarter glass, the new power window motor would barely raise the glass (it was very slow) and (more importantly) would NOT raise it all the way forward or all the way to the top....even when we tried assisting by pulling it up manually while the electric motor engaged. It seemed like it was in a bind but could not see any obvious issues. We switched out with other good motors with the same result.

The glass would stop a few inches before it was fully raised (like it was in a bind) and would not go forward to meet the door glass.

3.) We slotted a few of the holes and moved the regulator bracket forward and it helped a little but not near enough. There is still a 3-4" gap between the front and rear glass.

4.) When raising the window, it appears that the window only goes straight "up" and and not forward which might be why the back of the glass is hitting the roof rail...but the regulator hardware and brackets all "appear" to be ok and greased and working..

NOTE 1: In the photo below, the glass is raised as far as it will go.
NOTE 2: We went to the other side and the results were exactly the same.
NOTE 3: The new glass kit I ordered was for a 68-70 Charger....and the front door glass fits great.

Questions:
Could they have shipped me the wrong glass?

Is the rear quarter glass and brackets for a 70 charger and coronet exactly the same ?
--> Are the regulators and regulator brackets the same for Chargers as other B-Bodys ?

Thanks for any advice !

Mike

IMG_1325.jpgIMG_1329.jpgIMG_1330.jpg
Last edited by sunroof_charger; 01/14/18 02:46 PM.
Re: Help - 70 Charger rear quarter glass install [Re: Texican] #2434617
01/14/18 09:16 PM
01/14/18 09:16 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
here's a short vid showing just the mechanism at work, electric or manual the glass has to articulate with the rear coming up first, and the top front of the qtr window moving upward and forward at the same time https://youtu.be/9uWrcuY02ls

easier said than done I know! I installed factory power windows in my 70 Daytona, the qtr windows take some time to adjust properly, the roof rail weather strip can also induce a bind on the glass, esp in the far corner, you need to study how all the stop/pivots/guides direct the glass up and forward... plus you need a strong fully charged battery (I'll assume your bypassing the harness for testing/install with a remote battery?) sometimes playing with the windows for a few hours trying to adjust them, you can become your own worst enemy unknowingly with a weak battery as you "think" the windows are binding, been there, done that!

Sometimes you need to walk away and look at it the next day, as it can be quite aggravating...

did you lay your old glass on top of the new glass to check size/shape/contour/hole alignment/etc/etc before installing? the B body HARDTOP side qtr glass 68-70, Plymouth or Dodge is all the same... I have a complete set of "manual crank" 69 "RR/Sat/GTX" side glass in my 70 Charger Daytona, using a 69 Charger factory PW regulator set up

Mike