09/06/17 12:09 PM
09/06/17 12:09 PM
Ohio
shorthorse Offline
enthusiast
shorthorse  Offline
enthusiast

Ohio
I love Pro Stock. I don't follow the drivers, teams or even the brands so much. What I love is the technology that makes these cars so fast. The first time they mentioned tire shake I thought of how that was once a discussion point for for fuel cars only.
But, there has been a word used in previous posts and that word is "relate". In the human psyche, relating, identifying and belonging is a powerful force and that is the predicament that faces NHRA today, not unlike NASCAR. Pro categories are "The Show". They are there to entertain, thus the long burnouts. I'm afraid those of us that appreciate the technology and actually know what's going down the track are too few.
Back in the day (I'm really old) the stands at the US Nationals would fill up for the Jr. Stockers. Why, it was that "relate" factor. I loved watching Don Garlits make his first sub-seven second pass. I loved watching Willie Bortz try to make a complete pass but they were still a bit of an oddity. Stockers and Super Stockers, that's what we had and drove if only in our minds. There can be great appreciation for the pro classes but only a very small percentage can relate. Relating is a powerful calling card.

Re: The Pro-Stock circus continues. [Re: pittsburghracer] #2366439
09/06/17 03:09 PM
09/06/17 03:09 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
I finally watched the Indy show last night.

I gotta say....... I was shocked at how empty the stands were.
I've only been there once, 2004 or 05 I think...... The stands were packed.
The pits were packed.

More scooters and golf carts roaring around the pits than I'd ever seen!!!!

I understand the "relateable" thing.
It's not all that interesting if you don't really understand what's going on.

That's how pretty much all ball type sports are for me. I don't know the rules, don't follow the teams or players....... So I don't really care who wins...... So I get bored watching it.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: The Pro-Stock circus continues. [Re: pittsburghracer] #2366491
09/06/17 05:06 PM
09/06/17 05:06 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
I go with the "relate idea" I watch MOPARS not other "cars" in any class, if the Mopar is done, so am I. Been that way since 1963. Doesn't matter who's driving, I'm rooting for the car! (Plymouth). I have one pro football team, baseball team and one college basketball team. If they're not in the championship game I don't watch it. Same with pro stock. Has nothing to do with technology (whitch I appreciate but it doesn't relate)

Re: The Pro-Stock circus continues. [Re: pittsburghracer] #2366636
09/06/17 09:30 PM
09/06/17 09:30 PM
back in Georgia
dthemi Offline
master
dthemi  Offline
master

back in Georgia
I wish there were something I could say to reignite the interest in PS. Losing it as a class would be the worst dumbing down of the sport I could imagine.

A quart of fuel and 200 mph... Don't know what else to say.

Re: The Pro-Stock circus continues. [Re: dthemi] #2366692
09/06/17 11:09 PM
09/06/17 11:09 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Pro Stock evolved from racing and winning on Sunday selling new muscle cars on Monday, correct work Same thing as NASCAR, neither of those race cars look like or have any stock car parts on them now, do they work
No easy solution to either dilemma shruggy
As far as paying spectator in the stands, the kids today are not car people like us shock whistling shruggy

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: The Pro-Stock circus continues. [Re: Cab_Burge] #2367155
09/07/17 08:26 PM
09/07/17 08:26 PM
Ohio
shorthorse Offline
enthusiast
shorthorse  Offline
enthusiast

Ohio
Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Pro Stock evolved from racing and winning on Sunday selling new muscle cars on Monday, correct work Same thing as NASCAR, neither of those race cars look like or have any stock car parts on them now, do they work
No easy solution to either dilemma shruggy
As far as paying spectator in the stands, the kids today are not car people like us shock whistling shruggy

Cab, you're right about the dilemma and today's fans. My take on the evolution of Pro Stock is a tad different. Stockers escalated to Super Stockers and they escalated to Pro Stockers but I'm talking about the early Pro Stockers that still had a recognizable body. In my mind, today's Pro Stock along with all the "Pro" classes is the creation of some marketing people that don't know about cars and only care about the money. After all, we already had Pro Stock, Top Fuel Dragsters, Funny Cars etc. It was the creation of the "Pro" category by NHRA that segregated itself for the grass roots racers and turned it into what we see today.

Re: The Pro-Stock circus continues. [Re: pittsburghracer] #2367337
09/08/17 06:09 AM
09/08/17 06:09 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Myself I grew up in the 60's and 70's and loved the factory wars as it was so cool. But most were using their brand of eng which made it even cool when a Mopar beat a Chevy or an Olds beat a Ford or whatever. You could tell what the car was and you wanted the car like what you had to win. Honestly on TV I never cared to watch Top Fuel and I hate to watch bikes and even Funny car now. And thats because I just dont like any class that I cant relate to what kind of car it is. Top fuel and bikes all look the same so I am bored with it and I guess its because I grew up loving muscle cars that all had their own look so you knew what you were watching. I am also one of the ones who never cared who was driving the car because I voted for the car I liked to win and not the driver. Heck if my own brother was driving a Camaro and someone else was in a Mopar I would want the Mopar to win because I like them best. I also would much rather watch Stock and Super Stock then the Pro classes. But my favorite is Nostalgia Super Stock because they are all 60's and 70's cars that I love. I am also not a big fan of the Stock and SS classes where they put V/8's in front wheel drive cars and I like the naturally aspirated cars the most. Nothing wrong with the other classes that others love I just happen to love what I grew up with and cant help it but thats what I love.
I am the kind of guy who at a car show will walk right buy a car thats all customized with alot of chrome under the hood or a muscle car with a modern eng just so I can look at the all original looking 68 Cuda 383 car or a Max Wedge era car that looks original or like a Super Stocker from back in the day kinda like how I did my car. I know I am really stuck with the things I love from the old days but I have never cared much for any racing class where all the cars or bikes look the same. But I also do respect them classes for the hard work the people put into them and I respect the people who do like them. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 09/08/17 06:12 AM.
Re: The Pro-Stock circus continues. [Re: an8sec70cuda] #2367409
09/08/17 12:26 PM
09/08/17 12:26 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
Originally Posted By bonefish
Originally Posted By hemi-itis
Look at the RICER events!! Packed and plenty of FEMALES!!
the ricer events are less about the RACE CARS and more about the party.

iagree It's a T and A show w/ some cars parked around.

Fixed

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It sure beats a tire melt down of any kind

Re: The Pro-Stock circus continues. [Re: pittsburghracer] #2367511
09/08/17 03:59 PM
09/08/17 03:59 PM
Monrovia, So-Cal, USA
racerhog Offline
mopar
racerhog  Offline
mopar

Monrovia, So-Cal, USA
Bring It... Grab a lane bitches !!!!!
http://www.matchracemadness.com/

Bob(Cowboy)Hogan