Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Originally Posted By terzmo
Originally Posted By Tom_Quad
I am not going to continue to provide any more mopar technical support here on moparts. As I provide technical support in my employment on very very complicated technology this is not my first technical information rodeo. I might have a clue on how to analyze information and create proper technical documentation/information. The six pak tuning guide is a perfect example of well researched information that does not get used before coming on here complaining that the damn thing doesn't work correctly and getting bad advice from the uninformed.

Some of you are very uninformed and are incapable of comprehending anything that makes good sense. You pollute threads with hearsay, old wives tales/opinions and refuse to use good technical advice. Diplomacy prevents me from speaking directly to a few of you and telling you in plain english that children should be seen and not heard.

Good luck with your 160 or 180 degree thermostats in your "old iron" and your fast wearing - poor running engines. BTW in 1970 the thermostats were 190 degrees from the factory...

I've run mopars with 160 and no stat for over 50 years...pump yourself up with "ideas" and feel great while MY test of time has succeeded over and over.

I think this still applies !

They may not kill there motor,but it will eventually shorten it's life span.Also,a real race engine is rarely street driven and the percentages of each are quite different,the OP ask about a street driven car,not a race car.If your 160* makes you happy,good luck with that.

Re: Help .Which thermostat ? [Re: BlueRacer69] #2334068
07/09/17 01:43 PM
07/09/17 01:43 PM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
I agree that we are talking about vastly different engines, my cars are street driven so they are not all out race cars, but obviously my 600+ HP engine is gonna create heat much quicker than a stock type motor. I've never had a bone stock motor in an old Mopar my whole life so I should have just avoided a thread like this as I usually do.

For the original poster, these guys are right, you should run a higher temp thermostat for your combo. My motor with a 160 will run 178 all day, and sitting in really bad traffic on a 90 degree day it will creep up to 190 or 195 which is fine, I'm sure my cooling system isn't perfect but it certainly does the job as the temp will come back down once I'm out of the traffic, maybe a 180 will make it more stable.

Sometimes our street/strip motors will only be at 140 degrees in the staging lanes and run the same 9 or 10 second ET's as they do when fully warmed. Stock motors are a different ball game, 3 tenths faster at 20 degrees warmer is a HUGE difference.

I'm gonna try a 180 after reading some of this info but I know when I did that years ago the temp seemed to climb over 200 while in traffic since the temp was already 180 or higher to begin with, but I doubt I had a great cooling system back then.
And I know for a fact my motor is not happy cruising around at 210 degrees.

As far as the name calling and stuff, that's pretty sad, we used to be able to debate or explain stuff here on this forum without that kind of behavior but I have thick skin, so no biggie. up I'll try to keep my knowledge and years of experience in the Race Section.

1970 Challenger, all aluminum 528 Hemi, HDK suspension, Tremec 5 speed manual
Re: Help .Which thermostat ? [Re: terzmo] #2334097
07/09/17 02:13 PM
07/09/17 02:13 PM
jersey
S
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
Originally Posted By terzmo
Originally Posted By Tom_Quad
I am not going to continue to provide any more mopar technical support here on moparts. As I provide technical support in my employment on very very complicated technology this is not my first technical information rodeo. I might have a clue on how to analyze information and create proper technical documentation/information. The six pak tuning guide is a perfect example of well researched information that does not get used before coming on here complaining that the damn thing doesn't work correctly and getting bad advice from the uninformed.

Some of you are very uninformed and are incapable of comprehending anything that makes good sense. You pollute threads with hearsay, old wives tales/opinions and refuse to use good technical advice. Diplomacy prevents me from speaking directly to a few of you and telling you in plain english that children should be seen and not heard.

Good luck with your 160 or 180 degree thermostats in your "old iron" and your fast wearing - poor running engines. BTW in 1970 the thermostats were 190 degrees from the factory...

I've run mopars with 160 and no stat for over 50 years...pump yourself up with "ideas" and feel great while MY test of time has succeeded over and over.

During your "test" how many of those engines were torn down, to check bore wear, and at what milage was that done? How much was the bore wear?

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3