05/14/17 08:51 PM
05/14/17 08:51 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
My 70 Cuda is a [censored] to fuel. Cap is behind the plate, you have to hold the plate up with one hand to make sure it doesnt contact the tailpanel and damage the paint while manipulated the nozzle with all its vapor recovery Krap in a tight area.

And the fill nozzle is low on the car, I place a paper towel to prevent spill from running down the tailpanel paint. (In the event I am careless enough to let it burp fuel)

Ain't no way in hell anybody but me is going to fuel the car as long as I own it.

Re: Gangly vapor fillers, our cars, and Oregon [Re: ruderunner] #2304552
05/14/17 10:31 PM
05/14/17 10:31 PM
Eugene, Oregon
M
minivan Offline
master
minivan  Offline
master
M

Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted By ruderunner
I have a theory and maybe some old timers can confirm...

Wonder if pumps today have a higher flow rate than in the 60s?

There are hi flow pumps but not sure if they are used at commercial service stations..

I worked at a gas station in High school when gas was 30 cents a gallon.. I can tell you that the price numbers turn a lot faster than they used to.. The pumps we had were mechanical readouts, not digital like todays......

Re: Gangly vapor fillers, our cars, and Oregon [Re: Secret Chimp] #2304678
05/15/17 02:12 AM
05/15/17 02:12 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
A long time ago when I was a college kid in Oregon I had a '69 Falcon station wagon that hated to be filled up with gas. It would stop, then puke gas and dump gas down inside the inner fender and everything. That was a pain. I also had a '69 Dodge truck that difficult to fill up with gas. These days all of my newer rigs are Oregon pump friendly.

My '65 Coronet doesn't seem to have to much trouble at the gas pump. The filler is behind the license plate which tends to freak out the pump jockeys but it takes gas okay.

Some of the pump jockeys are Nazi about the no self serve but the further away from Portland you get the more normal people are. Portland is full of freaks and I have zero interest of venturing into Portland with a classic car.

Re: Gangly vapor fillers, our cars, and Oregon [Re: AndyF] #2305602
05/16/17 06:12 PM
05/16/17 06:12 PM
Eugene, Oregon
M
minivan Offline
master
minivan  Offline
master
M

Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted By AndyF
the further away from Portland you get the more normal people are. Portland is full of freaks and I have zero interest of venturing into Portland with a classic car.

panic

NO, say it isn't so....... LOL

Re: Gangly vapor fillers, our cars, and Oregon [Re: minivan] #2305660
05/16/17 08:14 PM
05/16/17 08:14 PM
Keizer, Oregon U.S.A.
E
elmor353 Offline
super stock
elmor353  Offline
super stock
E

Keizer, Oregon U.S.A.
I have to agree with AndyF, I live in the Salem/Keizer area and wouldn't even think of venturing to Portland with a classic vehicle. People are screwy in Portland. Good thing our dragstrip isn't up there!

Re: Gangly vapor fillers, our cars, and Oregon [Re: elmor353] #2305662
05/16/17 08:18 PM
05/16/17 08:18 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted By elmor353
I have to agree with AndyF, I live in the Salem/Keizer area and wouldn't even think of venturing to Portland with a classic vehicle. People are screwy in Portland. Good thing our dragstrip isn't up there!

Curious--is the concern that some "environmentalist" might engage in vandalism??? shruggy

Re: Gangly vapor fillers, our cars, and Oregon [Re: Secret Chimp] #2305702
05/16/17 09:30 PM
05/16/17 09:30 PM
Keizer, Oregon U.S.A.
E
elmor353 Offline
super stock
elmor353  Offline
super stock
E

Keizer, Oregon U.S.A.
That is a distinct possibility! lol People drive like their heads are stuck up their tush and with the amount of traffic, it only gets worse.

Re: Gangly vapor fillers, our cars, and Oregon [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2306140
05/17/17 03:47 PM
05/17/17 03:47 PM
SK. Canada
Not_A_Duster Offline
master
Not_A_Duster  Offline
master

SK. Canada
Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda
Curious--is the concern that some "environmentalist" might engage in vandalism??? shruggy

Something similar to that happened here several years ago when someone tried to hold a car show at the city's downtown park, where all the earth-muffins typically hang out to engage in their "culture."

No permanent damage as such, but everybody who left their car unattended for even a few minutes got it papered with anti fossil fuel literature and signage. Not one of the little cowards had the balls to confront any of us directly, and they would run like scared rabbits if any of us tried to engage them.

In response to someone's earlier question about fuel pump volume: My wife manages a commercial fleet fuel outlet. They have high volume pumps on both gas & diesel for filling big trucks there. But she says you don't find them at retail fuel stations...at least in Canada.

....evil is winning....
Re: Gangly vapor fillers, our cars, and Oregon [Re: Secret Chimp] #2306147
05/17/17 04:04 PM
05/17/17 04:04 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted By Secret Chimp
So in a fine turn of events, I'm relocating from Warshington to central Oregon in a few weeks. As you may know, Oregonians can't pump their own gas and no exceptions for weird cars.

The filler on my 67 Coronet wagon has always been unkind to full-flow fills – if I don't hang the nozzle half out of the opening it will back up the filler tube or spash back out of the hole.

The vent tubes work - you can see gas come out of them and squirt back down the filler as the tank starts getting full, but they can't keep up. This is a non-emissions car so I only have the tank-to-filler vents, no engine-side fuel vapor stuff.

Is there later-model hardware or some modification I can do to get the car just take full flow from a modern pump without backing up the tube? I can't take the car to a place where they just lock the pump open and walk away, I will dump gallons down the side of the car...

This is what I would do but you'll have to remove the fuel tank.

If you can get your hand and arm inside the tank from the sending unit drill a hole in the top of the tank. Use a -10AN bulkhead fitting and run some -10 hose or 1/2" aluminum fuel line up into the fender or higher if you can and bend it over to form a J. If you can't get into the tank to reach the top then have a bung welded to it.

You should be able to fill it as fast as the pump will go then.

I did this to the plastic tank on my 1st Gen CTD and now I can fill it all the way up to the top of the filler without a problem.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Gangly vapor fillers, our cars, and Oregon [Re: minivan] #2306586
05/18/17 11:01 AM
05/18/17 11:01 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Originally Posted By minivan
Originally Posted By ruderunner
I have a theory and maybe some old timers can confirm...

Wonder if pumps today have a higher flow rate than in the 60s?

There are hi flow pumps but not sure if they are used at commercial service stations..

I worked at a gas station in High school when gas was 30 cents a gallon.. I can tell you that the price numbers turn a lot faster than they used to.. The pumps we had were mechanical readouts, not digital like todays......

Today's gasoline pumps for cars have a slower restricted flow rate than they used to have. They can't pump faster than 10 gallons per minutes to minimize over fills and spillage. Federal law.

Re: Gangly vapor fillers, our cars, and Oregon [Re: AndyF] #2306775
05/18/17 03:04 PM
05/18/17 03:04 PM
Thigh-Gap Junction
@
@#$%&*! Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@#$%&*!  Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@

Thigh-Gap Junction
Originally Posted By AndyF

the further away from Portland you get the more normal people are. Portland is full of freaks and I have zero interest of venturing into Portland with a classic car.

Hey, I resemble that remark! Is that your way of calling me out, Andy? stirthepot
It's a fact that most people live in cities, particularly big cities. That then means that the city dwellers are more normal, statistically speaking, than those who live elsewhere.
I get no flack for driving my Dart Sport around Portland, just lots of compliments even though I consider it a pos compared to the rest of the fleet. You've just gotta keep in mind that modern vehicles are more nimble and steer and brake better than your old dinosaur.
Wandering back on-on topic, I think having the gas-pump jockeys usually speeds up the process and they never give me any trouble if I want to do something myself. Most are juggling 4 pumps, keeping track of how much is going into each and predicting when they'll be done so they can get the nozzle out and get the line moving. I often hang up the nozzle myself because I'm right there and always get thanked for it.

Originally Posted By elmor353

Oh, but it is! The address to "our" dragstrip is over there <<<---- somewhere scope
Portland International Raceway is a publicly owned dragstrip, road course, moto-x, multi-purpose facility where you can find drag racing under the lights 3 nights a week all summer long: http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/pirbrackets/schedule/2017_2.7schedule.pdf If you prefer standing in the hot sun all day by all means head to Sunburn Dragstrip. But if you prefer racing in the cool evening air blowing up the Columbia River..bring a jacket, no sunblock needed.
If that isn't enough, every Wednesday from June through September the price of admission also gets you into one of the biggest cruise-ins around and there's usually a live band (that sucks). Watch some bracket racing, wander through the hundreds of old cars and other 'special interest' vehicles, show off your car, whatever. I usually park my tow rig where I can watch the cruise in traffic as they come in and leave. It's like the tide: a long steady stream of old cars coming in, then a slack period (not always) and then a long parade of old iron on the way out. Yes, in Portland, where that HUGE automotive swap meet is every 6 months or so.

Page 2 of 2 1 2