02/12/09 09:59 PM
Florida STAYcation
BeEtLeJuIcE ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
BeEtLeJuIcE !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Yet again .. this topic appears !

Come of guys .. through a given and set passage size(in the block and heads) ..... there is no diff between a hi-pressure and HV pump.

Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: BeEtLeJuIcE !] #221918
02/12/09 10:22 PM
02/12/09 10:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Yet again .. this topic appears !

Come of guys .. through a given and set passage size(in the block and heads) ..... there is no diff between a hi-pressure and HV pump.

Yep, just like a bad check, just keeps coming back and coming back.

An interesting observation on the last engine (sb) I worked on. I was having some rocker and valve oiling issues and was trying different parts with the engine on the stand. This engine had the reworked Melling hv pump I mentioned earlier (I need it for turbo oiling). With that pump, I could get 10 psi oil pressure turning the oil pump primer by hand with a vise grip on it. That is probably not even 30 rpm on the pump. I can't count how many engines I have seen that needed an electric drill on the primer to get decent pressure. As Robert said too, check that pump carefully before you put it in. A blueprinted standard pump will probably outperform an out of the box hv pump.

Re: High volume oil pump? #221919
02/13/09 01:14 AM
02/13/09 01:14 AM
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
HV pump is a waste of money, adds heat, and a power robber.

I've told this story before, but I will tell it again.

I reringed a 440 a while back(a year or so), and threw in fresh rod and crank bearings.
No crank machining or rod resizing was done. Clearances were .002 on the rods and mains when done.

When I started the motor, the pressure relief on the std vol pump stuck. This means that full volume of oil was pumped into the engine.

Keep in mind,
Oil Pressure in an engine is the result of forcing a volume of oil through the clearances. More oil = more pressure, and less clearance = more pressure. A high volume pump will restore pressure in worn engines, because it forces more oil through the clearances. A high pressure pump simply has a different pressure relief.

Back to my motor....
At low idle speed, the motor immediately blew the filter off, and destroyed the electric oil pressure sender.

So, in a motor with relatively loose clearances (compared to a freshly machined motor) a std volume oil pump moved enough oil to blow the filter and sender up at IDLE speed.

I will never put a hv pump on a fresh motor.

They are for restoring pressure in worn out engines, NOT for providing some sort of magically improved oiling in a freshly machined motor

Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: GoodfellaHenry70] #221920
02/13/09 05:04 PM
02/13/09 05:04 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Quote:

You can't go wrong with a high volume (not high pressure) oil pump. I use a Milodon.

High volume pumps have the high pressure spring.

The biggest mistake is thinking that the relief valve can handle any amount of excessive volume, it can't. A quick look at the relief valve will show that the vent openings are pretty small, so the excess volume that the valve can't handle turns into higher pressure regardless of the spring value.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: John_Kunkel] #221921
02/13/09 06:32 PM
02/13/09 06:32 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
My street 512 has fairly tight clearances in it but it does have full groove mains. With a HV pump on it I can get 60+ psi with just a speed wrench on the pump shaft. So that is turning the pump by hand with a speed wrench and I see over 60psi. I don't think I turn it more than about 100 rpm or so since I'm not strong enough to go much faster. That tells me right there that I don't need a HV pump on the motor!

Page 2 of 2 1 2