Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline OP
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline OP
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
If I upgrade to a high volume oil pump on my 440 can I keep the stock pan and pick-up. I am not sure with the pump picking up more oil that it may need a bigger capacity pan? Thanks Jay

Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: ONEBADBIRD] #221898
02/12/09 10:12 AM
02/12/09 10:12 AM
Richmond, VA
VT_Dart Offline
master
VT_Dart  Offline
master

Richmond, VA
Many where will argue, but you should be fine. If you think about it, the pump won't be pumping any more oil most of the time. Most Mopars I've had run on the oil pressure relief spring (70-75 psi) almost all of the time while driving. Pressure and flow are directly related, ie the same engine will flow the exact same amount of oil so long as the pressure is exactly the same. If a pump is trying to put more oil into the engine, the pressure will go up (think about blowing harder and harder through a straw), and once it hits the relief point that extra oil is just bypassed. So... when you're under the relief spring pressure the high volume will be pumping more oil, but once you start riding that spring the amount of oil actually reaching your engine will be the same.

Like I said, some others will argue but it's pretty simple flow principles. Oh yeah, and I run a high-volume with a stock pan lol.

Darrah Heath
Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: VT_Dart] #221899
02/12/09 05:38 PM
02/12/09 05:38 PM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline OP
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline OP
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
VT Dart, Thanks for the reply. Jay.

Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: ONEBADBIRD] #221900
02/12/09 05:46 PM
02/12/09 05:46 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

If the current oil pressure is sufficient, the HV pump isn't an "upgrade", it's merely a change and will actually rob a little power.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: John_Kunkel] #221901
02/12/09 06:29 PM
02/12/09 06:29 PM
Madison Wi
NTOLERANCE Offline
master
NTOLERANCE  Offline
master

Madison Wi
Quote:

If the current oil pressure is sufficient, the HV pump isn't an "upgrade", it's merely a change and will actually rob a little power.

Agreed. IN most applications a HV pump isnt required or necessary. I still run one in every big block I have ever had, since all mine have been street engines. As the engine wears, clearances open up and require more oil. this is the benefitof the HV pump. Race engines are usually rebuilt annually so the clearances arent getting all that much bigger. The achillies heel of the HV pump and stock pan and pick up is when RPMS increase significantly, the pan can get sucked dry.

Although I have never had a pan get sucked dry, even at 6500 rpm. Then again maybe it has and I never knew it......

I used to care but....... things have changed
Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: NTOLERANCE] #221902
02/12/09 07:03 PM
02/12/09 07:03 PM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline OP
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline OP
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
So it sounds like the answer is oil pressure is oil pressure no matter if it comes from a high volume pump or a standard pump. It seems that a standard pump is set up so that engine wear is taken into account when originally built from the factory. Allowing enough oil/pressure as the engine accumulates miles and/or hours of wear and tear on internal moving parts. I may or maynot use one I'll have to toss a coin on this one. Thanks for the input everyone. Jay

Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: NTOLERANCE] #221903
02/12/09 07:48 PM
02/12/09 07:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The achillies heel of the HV pump and stock pan and pick up is when RPMS increase significantly, the pan can get sucked dry.

Although I have never had a pan get sucked dry, even at 6500 rpm. Then again maybe it has and I never knew it......

This is absolutely not true. At the same pressure and rpm on the same engine, a high volume pump will put exactly the same amount of oil to the engine as a stock pump, and that same amount out of the pan. The "suck the pan dry" theory has been around for years, but has been untrue for all those years.

Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: ONEBADBIRD] #221904
02/12/09 07:52 PM
02/12/09 07:52 PM
Rhode Island
G
GoodfellaHenry70 Offline
GoodfellaHenry70  Offline
G

Rhode Island
You can't go wrong with a high volume(not high pressure) oil pump. I use a Milodon.

Do Not Forget to replace the stock shaft with a HD Hardened Input Shaft. Cheap Insurance.

"No big deal...It's called Advanced Dilusionary schizophrenia with involuntary narcissistic rage." Just call me Hank.
Re: High volume oil pump? #221905
02/12/09 08:08 PM
02/12/09 08:08 PM
Madison Wi
NTOLERANCE Offline
master
NTOLERANCE  Offline
master

Madison Wi
Quote:

This is absolutely not true. At the same pressure and rpm on the same engine, a high volume pump will put exactly the same amount of oil to the engine as a stock pump, and that same amount out of the pan. The "suck the pan dry" theory has been around for years, but has been untrue for all those years.

The reasons for concern with a HV pump and a stock pan are real....if you do suck the pan dry at 7000, how long do you think the bearings will last? And we havent even discussed the MP windage tray holding all the oil out of the pan. Weather or not its an old wives tale, it HAS to be considered.

As I stated before, I havent sucked a stock pan dry even at 6500. But if the risk of having no oil at your main and rod bearings at redline isnt an "Achilles heel" I dunno what is.

I used to care but....... things have changed
Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: NTOLERANCE] #221906
02/12/09 08:17 PM
02/12/09 08:17 PM
Not2farfromNashville, TN
R
Rug_Trucker Offline
I Live Here
Rug_Trucker  Offline
I Live Here
R

Not2farfromNashville, TN
Been running an HV pump for close to 200K on my 360. No special shaft, never sucked the pan dry. Of course it is 6 1/2 qts stock and usually never sees anything over 4400 rpm.

"The only thing to do for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"NUNQUAM NON PARATUS!"
Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: John_Kunkel] #221907
02/12/09 08:22 PM
02/12/09 08:22 PM
SoCal
J
jake4cars Offline
top fuel
jake4cars  Offline
top fuel
J

SoCal
Quote:

Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: NTOLERANCE] #221908
02/12/09 08:30 PM
02/12/09 08:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

The reasons for concern with a HV pump and a stock pan are real....if you do suck the pan dry at 7000, how long do you think the bearings will last? And we havent even discussed the MP windage tray holding all the oil out of the pan. Weather or not its an old wives tale, it HAS to be considered.

As I stated before, I havent sucked a stock pan dry even at 6500. But if the risk of having no oil at your main and rod bearings at redline isnt an "Achilles heel" I dunno what is.

If you are going to suck the pan dry with a high volume pump, you will also suck it dry with a standard pump, if you have the same engine and oil pressure. It is simple physics and hydraulics. Do a search on it, and you will find all kinds of technical information showing why it doesn't suck the pan dry, but it all boils down to the fact that the extra oil just goes through the pump bypass because the engine will only take the amount of oil the resistance to flow and pressure dictate. Pump flow does not enter the equation.

Re: High volume oil pump? #221909
02/12/09 08:31 PM
02/12/09 08:31 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

How do you figure that? Per revolution the HV pump is pumping more oil than a standard pump. The excess goes out the pressure bypass. More is being pumped out of the pan, but it's cycling right back into it. Some claim the worry is that if your engine clearances are nice and tight and if your bypass valve cannot flow enough oil. you run the possibility of running oil pressure over 75psi, in which case you would displace more oil from the pan to the bearings, etc. But IMO the bypass valve is up to the task.

In reality I think the HV pumps were developed as a band-aid to engines with worn/loose bearing clearances to maintain an acceptable amount of oil pressure.

Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #221910
02/12/09 08:40 PM
02/12/09 08:40 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Quote:

Quote:

How do you figure that? Per revolution the HV pump is pumping more oil than a standard pump. The excess goes out the pressure bypass. More is being pumped out of the pan, but it's cycling right back into it. Some claim the worry is that if your engine clearances are nice and tight and if your bypass valve cannot flow enough oil. you run the possibility of running oil pressure over 75psi, in which case you would displace more oil from the pan to the bearings, etc. But IMO the bypass valve is up to the task.

In reality I think the HV pumps were developed as a band-aid to engines with worn/loose bearing clearances to maintain an acceptable amount of oil pressure.

Agreed. TO add to this, IF an engine is 'loose' and the result on an HV pump IS higher oil pressure, then more oil is being pumped through the engine (faster) and the pan CAN be sucked dry. Its happened to me on a loose motor/HVpump/stock pan.
If the same pressure results from either pump (on a given engine) then the excess is being dumped back into the pan and the only downside is an increase in parasitic power loss.

Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #221911
02/12/09 08:49 PM
02/12/09 08:49 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
So... if its a near stock engine in decent shape no HV pump needed and stock oil pan OK.

If its modified with bigger clearances and/or full groove bearings a HV pump may be a big benefit for hot idle oil pressure. But this type of engine should have a bigger pan anyhow.

If the engine is worn out or has a problem (leak)and the HV pump is a bandaid better take it easy on her... high RPM not recommended for lots of reasons.

Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #221912
02/12/09 08:52 PM
02/12/09 08:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually, the bypass oil isn't dumped back into the pan, it goes back to the inlet inside the pump, but the effect is the same.

If you have a huge pump and tight engine, you can overload the bypass and climb the pressure, as you said, but then you use more oil through the engine because of the raised pressure it causes. If the pressure doesn't change, the oil flow doesn't change. I have found many new pumps lately to not be of very good quality. I tested a new Melling high volume out of the box, and it flowed less than an old OEM standard pump. The reason was excessive cover clearance and steps in the bottom of the pump housing. When I fixed the problems it picked up 25% in flow. The bypass on the same pump had casting flash over nearly 1/3 of the bypass opening, so it could have beena problem once the pump volume was returned to what it should have been.

I will not put in any new pump until I check the clearances and finishes in it. Most are very bad, and probably explain why a bunch of new engines show low oil pressure. If your stock volume pump is only putting out 75% of what is supposed to, you will be low on pressure at idle.

Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: ahy] #221913
02/12/09 08:54 PM
02/12/09 08:54 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Yea pretty much correct. Loose bearing engines can still be run hard (if everything else is up to the task) but the HV pump will restore the pressure. But again the POSSIBILITY of starvation exists.
HV pumps are not desireable unless required. And if they're need, they're needed.

Re: High volume oil pump? #221914
02/12/09 08:58 PM
02/12/09 08:58 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Booster--correct--on a BB the bypassed oil is recirculated within the pump, on a SB its dumped out a port into the pan as I recall right???

Re: High volume oil pump? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #221915
02/12/09 09:16 PM
02/12/09 09:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Small block recircs within the pump also.

Re: High volume oil pump? #221916
02/12/09 09:44 PM
02/12/09 09:44 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I have heard of alot of purported failures with Melling hi vol pumps(SB's) so be sure & open it up & check clearances/clean it which should be done on any part & as mentioned there are alot of areas that can be ported. I personally dont think a pan can be sucked dry only that the pickup can become uncovered & on a high rpm eng I make sure the pickup/pan clearance is 1/8"-1/4". I think inadequate clearance there will starve an(high rpm) eng quicker than anything. I would think that the vol is going to max out at a certain PSI(maybe when the bypass psi is reached(or even before)) but I have spoken with some highly skilled eng builders who do swear by a hi vol.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Page 1 of 2 1 2