Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 108 of 180 1 2 106 107 108 109 110 179 180
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: hemi-itis] #2180402
10/22/16 05:24 PM
10/22/16 05:24 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

That's with you in the bunker right?
Imagine your ride at 3200 Lbs. The amount of air space that that blower takes shows how heavy it is.

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: Thumperdart] #2180422
10/22/16 06:04 PM
10/22/16 06:04 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Lee,
You are definitely an inspiration, so glad Thumper started this thread.

I recently added a fiberglass hood to my 62 Valiant. Not by choice really, the factory hood latch let go at 1100 feet after a hard re-entry on a wheelstand, and the hood ripped off the hinges. I took a spare hood to an old craftsman in Arizona City, and he made a mold, then popped me a hood.
I wanted to go to a more period correct scoop, but the Valiant hood creates many issues. The curve falls off quickly from the cowl area to the fenders, and also towards the radiator. That makes it difficult to run a large diameter breather with the tall intake on the small block.
We attached the hood with four quicklatches, and he recessed the receivers in the hood. He also painted it, and reshaped the bottom of the scoop to drop the back and make it more parallel with the car instead of the quickly sloping hood.

On Drag Week 2015 it weighed 3145 with driver, steel hood and hinges.
On Drag Week 2016 it weighed 3095, but I was running nitrous, so there was a 25lb bottle in the trunk.

Top pic: last pass on old hood
Middle pic: old hood/scoop profile
Bottom pic: New hood with modified scoop (it's subtle)

He charged me $950 to build the mold, pop the hood, mount the hood with the quicklatches, modify the scoop, and paint it. (I supplied the paint). He tends to charge for the work, not his talent...I appreciate the talent!

hoodloser.JPGDW14 Sat.jpg100_1966 - Copy.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: MoparBilly] #2180456
10/22/16 07:18 PM
10/22/16 07:18 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Thank you.
Car looks the part of a force.
Your man there performed and delivered with a great piece. No one out there seems to make anything for those year vintage valiants leaving one with only one choice, to do what you did.
I would.
Love the recessed pin holes. Never seen anything like that.

There may be a lot on that car calling out to you in plain site, though 3095 at the scales is really respectable.

Yeah, Thumper started the fire and now he's having everyone fire up good with his tweaked carbs. Enough so, that he now has no time to lighten up his ride. LOL.
In all seriousness, I'm hoping that this read is inspiring a hunt for the return and love of the sport as well as for art. All I am doing is sharing my ideas with many others on here who have surprised me as well. Though it may seem like a boast fest at times, I just love bouncing ideas off of each other even as I suspect many around the globe are secretly viewing, studying and reaching into their respective tool sheds and inventing things all in the name of weightlessness.
Stay light.

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 10/22/16 09:12 PM.
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2180539
10/22/16 10:13 PM
10/22/16 10:13 PM
Madison, Wisconsin
chrisnben Offline
super stock
chrisnben  Offline
super stock

Madison, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
Dang, never mind the power, that's some torque.
Car looks nostalgically sharp with a nice rake.
You should be able to reach 3200 easily in your sleep. After that, the bug may bite you to go to no-mans land like I did and find all the hidden ounces.
I would suggest to gut the doors sparingly and leave the windows, locks and opening mechanisms to function like stock. You would be surprised on how much can be gutted and still function like stock.
I'm about to install my year one A-990 door panels soon, so I'll photograph the internals and inner skin to show how it can be done.
Suggest chrom-moly roll bar or cage. About a 30-50 lbs savings depending on how many points it ends up being.

Have you removed all of the undercoating/ sound dead material?

Love the "Color me Gone" theme paint.

Lee, thanks! You're the 1st one to notice the Color Me Gone theme. The previous owner did the blue "Ramcharger" stripes (didn't know that was a Dodge, I guess) so I left them on.

Please do post door innards, that could be my next step.

Looks like I'm going with the Caltrac setup & monoleafs. Should shed another 20# or so. I've had them before on other cars, but never compared the weights.

I'll have to save my beans for the new cage ($2000)- maybe next year. Ya see, my other currect project is a 426 Hemi Duster. I'm on the same war path on losing weight (especially on the nose to compensate for the Hemi).

On a side note- I'm having to save many beans for the Foose 18" Rallye wheels (called Challenger) for the Duster. Um, yeah they are $700 a pop! You should ride the black chrome hoops- they are hot!!

I can't recall if you have- or are needing the aluminum bumper brackets? Jeff can hook you up shortly. Mine are his prototypes.

'70 Cuda "Badfish 2"- in the works

Home of MoPar University- We school 'em one at a time!!
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2180550
10/22/16 10:36 PM
10/22/16 10:36 PM
Spahn Ranch
RMCHRGR Offline
top fuel
RMCHRGR  Offline
top fuel

Spahn Ranch
That's with you in the bunker right?
Imagine your ride at 3200 Lbs. The amount of air space that that blower takes shows how heavy it is.

Probably what, like 200 lbs. in gauges right there? There's even a mount without a gauge at the end there. shruggy

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: RMCHRGR] #2180578
10/22/16 11:24 PM
10/22/16 11:24 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Hemi-itis has a lot of clocks to keep an eye on. He's slowly coming around to getting some fat off that pup, though he has hinted many a time for me to make double of everything. LOL.

Man, If I by chance and luck I bumped into a complete Max wedge aluminum front end, I'd give it to him just to see him lighten the load.

Wish it was much more easier since I sometimes spend many a midnight hour fabricating stuff when I have the moment.
Imagine that bad boy 500-600 Lbs lighter. Might be a handful though more than what it is now.

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 10/23/16 12:09 AM.
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2180595
10/23/16 12:01 AM
10/23/16 12:01 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Chrisnben, I might have posted this before somewhere in this oasis, but I hand built relatively stock looking aluminum brackets for my Dodge way back in the early 90's. Now my next plan is to mount the aluminum versions of the longitude braces to accept the bumper brackets themselves. it will save an additional 2 Lbs off the front end.
images attached below.

IMG_4659.JPGIMG_4366.JPG
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2180600
10/23/16 12:06 AM
10/23/16 12:06 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Here's the front longitude brace face. Winter project install.

IMG_4942.JPG
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: chrisnben] #2180614
10/23/16 12:21 AM
10/23/16 12:21 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Chrisnben. Cal tracs will save you a cool 30 Lbs at most which is good, but after some track tuning/adjustments, it should high tail out of the hole and put you comfortably in the mid/high.40's.

I've improved my 60's with the right combo SS springs and some very good adjustable shocks. Cal-tracs are just not in my future plans. I'm too stuck up and hard liner for that factory look.LOL.

Chrysler SS springs weigh in the low 40 Lbs for each side, but are in the rear as semi-sprung weight.
I'm not sure what exact weight for the Cal's.

My friend who is currently building a beautiful stock looking street brawler using Dave Dudek Hemi power is also trying to trim fat off the front end and motor itself to basically try to bring the Elephant in the room down to Wedge weight.

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 10/23/16 12:22 AM.
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2180762
10/23/16 11:19 AM
10/23/16 11:19 AM
Madison, Wisconsin
chrisnben Offline
super stock
chrisnben  Offline
super stock

Madison, Wisconsin
Chrisnben. Cal tracs will save you a cool 30 Lbs at most which is good, but after some track tuning/adjustments, it should high tail out of the hole and put you comfortably in the mid/high.40's.

I've improved my 60's with the right combo SS springs and some very good adjustable shocks. Cal-tracs are just not in my future plans. I'm too stuck up and hard liner for that factory look.LOL.

Chrysler SS springs weigh in the low 40 Lbs for each side, but are in the rear as semi-sprung weight.
I'm not sure what exact weight for the Cal's.

My friend who is currently building a beautiful stock looking street brawler using Dave Dudek Hemi power is also trying to trim fat off the front end and motor itself to basically try to bring the Elephant in the room down to Wedge weight.

Lee, Calvert says the pair of mono's weighs 47# shipping weight, so you might be close on the 30# + savings.

I was also going to ask you how your Braille battery is holding up out back? I have mine up front on a fabbed tray. It's new and only a few starts so far, but it seems to be ok. The 20# savings is a blessing! Originally, I did buy a 3# lithium, but I returned it thinking it wouldn't cut the mustard.

I'll be stuck in the heated garage soon like yourself with the winter approaching. So, fabbing and trimming are on the plate.

Where can a guy buy 3.5" aluminum tubing? Thinking of the collector extensions.

What did your windshield save again? Thinking it should be at least 20#. I might even do the 2 doors in Lexan, keeping the quarters and rear lite for rear ballast.

Lastly, do you have to rob the bank to get the Detroit fender treatment? I have family there, so a trip could be in order! Lighter on the way home too wink

'70 Cuda "Badfish 2"- in the works

Home of MoPar University- We school 'em one at a time!!
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2180805
10/23/16 01:21 PM
10/23/16 01:21 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline OP
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Thank you.
Car looks the part of a force.
Your man there performed and delivered with a great piece. No one out there seems to make anything for those year vintage valiants leaving one with only one choice, to do what you did.
I would.
Love the recessed pin holes. Never seen anything like that.

There may be a lot on that car calling out to you in plain site, though 3095 at the scales is really respectable.

Yeah, Thumper started the fire and now he's having everyone fire up good with his tweaked carbs. Enough so, that he now has no time to lighten up his ride. LOL.
In all seriousness, I'm hoping that this read is inspiring a hunt for the return and love of the sport as well as for art. All I am doing is sharing my ideas with many others on here who have surprised me as well. Though it may seem like a boast fest at times, I just love bouncing ideas off of each other even as I suspect many around the globe are secretly viewing, studying and reaching into their respective tool sheds and inventing things all in the name of weightlessness.
Stay light.

I thank YOU guys w/the mad skills and attention to detail because you make this post what is and my contributions are very little and far between. Goin on 1,000,000 hits.............LOVE IT........... beer

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: chrisnben] #2180904
10/23/16 04:53 PM
10/23/16 04:53 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Starting from the last question to the top.
Are you ready?
Long.......
Kulasa the dipper in Detroit is very fair and very good at what he does. He can discuss with you the amount of metal thus the amount of weight that will be chemically milled off. Just remember that you would want to keep some strength integrity in the fenders so as to not be too fragile at eye site. He does the dipping accordingly to percentage and time. You will be surprised.
On that note, I am constructing a bridge rest that will rest on the inner fender wells and the floor so that I can get at my valves and other things on the engine without leaning directly on my fenders. Mine are true original A-990 aprons and do not want to dent them. So keep that in mind if you go for a dip in Detroit.
As far as cost? It is the shipping and crating that bring things up, so if you are driving there with the fenders, that will save you a lot. I drive there a lot, so I bring things for myself and some good friends.

*The Lexan bubble windshield?
Now that I glimpsed at my notes, the Lexan piece saved an approximate 18-1/2 Lbs. The original windshield at 3/16 thick weighed 30 Lbs. Yours should be more or less the same. The Lexan bubble weighed 11-1/2 Lbs, so it saved 18-1/2 Lbs at the end.
The lexan should also be 3/16 thick to prevent cave in at speed and not need cross braces. I would opt for the molded shield to be a great fit.
It's an art to install a windshield correctly no matter what material it is made of, so be careful and patient.

Stock door main glass, side vent wings and quarter glass weighed 33 Lbs total. Lexan replacements weighed a total of 8 Lbs.
This gimmick saved a total of 25 Lbs. This included the quarter windows that are now fixed in place. For these, 1/8 thick is sufficient. DVW on here has also done his 64' Plymouth most beautifully.
Rear light is an option, but for the most part should be left alone for ballast.

I can get 2.5, 3.5 and even 5. aluminum tubing from any local well stocked speed shop. In my case, S&K speed out on Long Island. Most modern speed shops will have this stuff because most guys nowadays running hairdryer power adders use it for their down pipes or intercooler via ducts.
But a well stocked supplier out West is Burns stainless. They have everything including unobtanium. 304 thin skin stainless is a great option.

The Braile is working out just fine even with aluminum main feed cable to the rear. Disconnect it entirely if not in use for long periods of time.
I make sure to keep her charged and if not, I put it on the Braile 2 amp slow charger and bring it up to par.

Yeah, those mono's are light. I know of a certain set up here in Zoo York using them with fake plastic leafs clamped on to give the look of a stacked stock SS spring set up.
Super trick.

Let us know how it turns out over the Winter. I'm sure to do so as well.
I still wish AMD made aluminum fenders, hoods and doors for our cars being that Camaros never came with them. But I do understand the logic based on market share.

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2181745
10/24/16 09:18 PM
10/24/16 09:18 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

By the way, being that we are talking about Braile batteries and such. I shaved 3 Lbs just with an aluminum strand main battery cable all the way from the firewall to the rear. It does connect at a junction box at the firewall and a copper cable from there on to the starter.
Clean, tight grounds are a must. I have five slim grounds throughout the car.

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2182556
10/25/16 10:01 PM
10/25/16 10:01 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Here's the new super beefy but super lightweight Ring Brothers aluminum hood pins. They sought of look super sized for the car, but at upstairs speeds, there is a sense of security.
Took some time though to properly and neatly install and adjust to proper height while in the peaceful down time in Detroit.

IMG_6002.JPG
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: Thumperdart] #2182696
10/26/16 12:30 AM
10/26/16 12:30 AM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
I'll need 8 of those pleeeeze whistling

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2182773
10/26/16 02:48 AM
10/26/16 02:48 AM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline OP
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Here's the new super beefy but super lightweight Ring Brothers aluminum hood pins. They sought of look super sized for the car, but at upstairs speeds, there is a sense of security.
Took some time though to properly and neatly install and adjust to proper height while in the peaceful down time in Detroit.

Nice touch on the spring loaded watchamacallit button head screwed on clip thingy........... bow

Last edited by Thumperdart; 10/26/16 02:50 AM.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: Thumperdart] #2182829
10/26/16 09:27 AM
10/26/16 09:27 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

sayzawhat?

fuggedaboutit, the thingamajig was a doozy to faniggle into the whatchamacallit.

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: hemi-itis] #2182830
10/26/16 09:29 AM
10/26/16 09:29 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Hemi-itis, don't be adding more weight or even ounces to your ride. Besides, it's been hoodless for ever. LOL.

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2182853
10/26/16 10:29 AM
10/26/16 10:29 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
lee, what is the item around the pin and mounting base [that looks like a a door striker pin], and what is it made of ?
beer

Re: Real world weight loss program and it` cost.......... [Re: Thumperdart] #2182858
10/26/16 10:37 AM
10/26/16 10:37 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
You all know I'm cheap. Summit has aluminum hood pins, not quite as fancy though.
Doug

Page 108 of 180 1 2 106 107 108 109 110 179 180