02/02/09 04:00 PM
02/02/09 04:00 PM
bristol tn
J
jbcuda Offline OP
jbcuda  Offline OP
J

bristol tn
i purchesed a kit from march performance to eliminate my v-belts and old pumps and alternators but my thermostat housing apparently must run parallel with my radiator to keep from shimming my power steering pump has any one had this prob

Re: 71 440 with march performance front kit problems [Re: jbcuda] #212001
02/02/09 04:03 PM
02/02/09 04:03 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
I've put two Marhc sytems on. There's usually some spacing and fitting to those kits. They look good, and usually can be made to fit. But they dont just jump on themselves.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: 71 440 with march performance front kit problems [Re: moper] #212002
02/02/09 04:07 PM
02/02/09 04:07 PM
bristol tn
J
jbcuda Offline OP
jbcuda  Offline OP
J

bristol tn
my power steering pump will need about 3/4 of an inch to get it to align with the rest some one once told me i may have the wrong waterpump housing i didnt know if that made a diff

Re: 71 440 with march performance front kit problems [Re: jbcuda] #212003
02/02/09 05:31 PM
02/02/09 05:31 PM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
Quote:

i purchesed a kit from march performance to eliminate my v-belts and old pumps and alternators but my thermostat housing apparently must run parallel with my radiator to keep from shimming my power steering pump has any one had this prob

I called March about this "parallel" requirement on the thermostat housing bolts. The fellow said it was not necessarily a requirement, just that the factory WP housings that had the parallel bolts had the extra boss and and machining near the thermostat housing to attach the alternator bracket. My WP housing is an MP unit, WP is an MP unit, damper is 440Source chrome fluid damper (same crank pulley spacing as factory damper). Engine is a B-block. As Moper said, the kit doesn't jump on itself. I had to add some .060 washers behind the WP pulley to get it to line up with the crank pulley properly. I had to mess with the alternator bolt spacer between the alternator bolt hole tabs so that the heater hose bracket would fit in behind the front tab, rather than between the front tab and the alternator bracket. It doesn't quite look "correct", but with the March setup, obviously "correctness" is out the window anyway. Upper alternator mounting bolt works with the Edelbrock aluminum heads, but there's only about 3-4 threads of engagement, so Loctite was necessary. Also had to "fiddle" with the alternator pulley on the shaft to get proper alignment with the crank pulley.

As for yours, 3/4" sounds like a ton of misalign on the P/S pulley. You sure you got the right P/S pump on there? I thought that there were two different pumps available on our cars. I don't have P/S, so that's as far as my thinking goes.

Good luck.