Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City

As far as the comments about NOT putting up money before you get your "custom ordered" block........well, if you don't, you won't be getting a block from ANYBODY. I have ordered blocks from INDY, Brodix, Donovan and others. Just ONE slight variation from anything considered "standard" and you pay for the block up front. It's just how it is.

Just like the custom Donovan I have here. Oddball deck height, Wayne County bolt pattern, raised 60mm cam tunnel and custom lifter locations. What block company in their right mind would build an oddball monstrosity like that, without payment upfront. Any and I mean ANY variation from stock production is considered custom and you will be required to pay up front [/quote]

Well Monte, I have never ordered an aftermarket block with all of the bells and whistles you are talking about here. But I have ordered a block with a raised cam location, and push rod oiling. There was no money up front until the block was ready to ship. And it did! And it came only needing the typical machine work expected.

I'm in the situation now that I'm so afraid to hurt my block because I wont be able to replace it, that every little thing has me gun shy.

I have never called a place like Sunset Racecraft or Sunset Engines, but as I said earlier, if I am able to sell my Mopar stuff, I will. And I would be willing to bet they charge you when it's ready to ship. I would just order one of their "off the shelf" models as you said, I just want to be able to race and know there are replacement parts.

So if one of you bleed Mopar guys wants an honest a 1100-1220 HP Mopar Predator deal, step up to the plate.

Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: moparroad] #2117566
07/25/16 08:26 PM
07/25/16 08:26 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
I stand corrected. Called Sunset today, and they want 1/2 up front.

Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: camastomcat] #2118167
07/26/16 03:55 PM
07/26/16 03:55 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

After all that hot air and now you "stand corrected"?

I think you owe a couple of guys an apology. Yes, they're big boys and can take care of themselves, but.......

R.

Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: dogdays] #2118914
07/27/16 10:59 AM
07/27/16 10:59 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By dogdays
After all that hot air and now you "stand corrected"?

I think you owe a couple of guys an apology. Yes, they're big boys and can take care of themselves, but.......

R.

At least I admit it. They would have you a complete engine in 1 month, and I was talking to him about a 674, 5" bore space deal, if you know what that means. But you should order a KB block. See how that works out for ya.

Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: moparroad] #2118983
07/27/16 12:36 PM
07/27/16 12:36 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Sunset won't have you a 5" bore 674 in a month unless they have EVERY piece of it on the shelf and ready to assemble. Nobody can get parts right now. You find a crank it's pure luck. Usually at least a 3-4 month wait. Sunset will also be at the mercy of whoever they get castings from, just like the rest of us. Our new 5" 762 is going on 7 months now and still not done

Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: moparroad] #2119063
07/27/16 02:15 PM
07/27/16 02:15 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Just ask yourself a few simple questions,how many pattern designers, mold makers and foundrys are commited to building mopar blocks that have a retail demand of less than a 1000 units per year and even less in a 5 year projection.Many attempts by suppliers to aquire blocks are at the mercy of the foundrys for the raw castings and producers that have the programs and machine capabilities to produce the finished product.Many attempts of retail suppliers to get these blocks in their hands have resulted in some less than quality pieces.
We have talked with some noted people that have claimed they can provide quality finished blocks at reasonable pricing and in a reasonabale time frame.We were looking to purchase a minimum of 6 blocks.This effort has be unfulfilled for more than 3 years and waiting with one story and excuse after another.
We have been and still deal with Indy for aluminium blocks and have gone from a 2 to 3 week delivery to 8 to 10 weeks but at least we get them.We are still waiting for calls from the others.Good luck.

Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: moparroad] #2119088
07/27/16 02:56 PM
07/27/16 02:56 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Anyone try getting one through Bill Mitchell in the last few months?
Their website says something about having them available after Feb of this year.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: Monte_Smith] #2119218
07/27/16 06:32 PM
07/27/16 06:32 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Sunset won't have you a 5" bore 674 in a month unless they have EVERY piece of it on the shelf and ready to assemble. Nobody can get parts right now. You find a crank it's pure luck. Usually at least a 3-4 month wait. Sunset will also be at the mercy of whoever they get castings from, just like the rest of us. Our new 5" 762 is going on 7 months now and still not done

Monte,
I'm just telling you what the guy said. I would bet it would be sooner than I could get a mopar wedge block though. It doesn't matter anyway right now, because my inventory of Mopar heads is worthless without a block, and it doesn't look too promising for selling my Predator engines. I'm stuck with what I have, 2 complete engines and a B1/MC head package. Lovely.

Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: moparroad] #2122629
08/01/16 02:26 PM
08/01/16 02:26 PM
michigan
turbo toad Offline
enthusiast
turbo toad  Offline
enthusiast

michigan
I wasnt able to make it to Norwalk over the weekend and I'm curious if anyone may have gotten any more info about the new blocks from the guys at MM. Or if anyone got any pics of the new blocks can you post them up.
Thanks Aaron

Check out my build on Facebook Ttoad Hurley its updated regularly
Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: moparroad] #2123372
08/02/16 01:09 PM
08/02/16 01:09 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
IMO, with regards to the deposit and how much it should be, is it should vary with how much of an "oddball" piece you require.
One of the purposes of the deposit should be holding your place "in line".
If you want what is likely going to be one of the more popular configurations(std cam bearings, a fairly normal bore size, std lifter bore spacing and angle), then the deposit should be pretty nominal....... Like $500.
On the other hand, if you want something totally off the wall, then it would seem reasonable to have to pretty much pay most or all of it up front. However.... In that scenario, I would still like to see the $500 deposit in place, to hold your place in line. Then when it came time for your particular block to go through the machining operations that separated it from the "normal" stuff, then you have to pay the balance before those operations take place.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: jim sciortino] #2123568
08/02/16 06:30 PM
08/02/16 06:30 PM

6_pack_runner
Unregistered
6_pack_runner
Unregistered

Originally Posted By jim sciortino
Originally Posted By turbo toad
Heres the info i just got from the guys at muscle motors take it for what it is.........heres the response i got asking about there low deck block.

Yes its true. We will have a machined block next weekend at the Monster Mopar show @ Norwalk. We will also have them at the Mopar Nations in Columbus a few weeks after that. Yes we have a cross bolted, big bore 400 block available. 400 or 440 main sizing is available and well as big diameter cams. Priority main oiling and oil to the lifters is standard. We don't anticipate having inventory for about a year. Everything is built to order for right now. $1700 deposit gets your place in line. then 6-8 weeks we will be ready to deliver the block and the balance is due when it is ready to ship.

All block B, RB wedge, RB Hemi all start @$3800 and are small bore

Big bore
big cam
Big main in 400 block
cross bolt #5
Bushed lifter bores
Are all upgrades and will incur additional cost.

Cast and machined in the USA, steel billet caps and ARP main studs std.
It's good to hear somebody is trying to supply blocks, but......

A 300# iron block, with a 4.500 bore, a 55/60mm tunnel, all five cross-bolted and bushed lifter bores, will cost what.....somewhere around $5500 to $6000 BEFORE a lightening program???

Yikes. What's left of my bankbook clearly shows I have no problem spending money on this stuff, but that's in the vacinity of aluminum block money, only without the general repairability and a 150+ pound heavier car.

Mr Sciortino.....can you tell me who this quote is by..."I'm a BUYER of parts and 'whine" because I'm sick of idiots complaining about the cost of the few parts that become available"........ shruggy

Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: Monte_Smith] #2123572
08/02/16 06:37 PM
08/02/16 06:37 PM

6_pack_runner
Unregistered
6_pack_runner
Unregistered

What ?? It's been beatin' into our heads that every other brand has all the best parts available at the drop of a hat......and it's just because Mopar guys are so cheap that there are no parts available shruggy

Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: ] #2123671
08/02/16 09:26 PM
08/02/16 09:26 PM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
Originally Posted By 6_pack_runner

What ?? It's been beatin' into our heads that every other brand has all the best parts available at the drop of a hat......and it's just because Mopar guys are so cheap that there are no parts available shruggy

A 5" bore space Chevy isn't something you'd use in an apples to apples comparison. A 555 BBC built from shelf parts yes.

Furthermore, facts are facts, look at the parts available for GM and Ford, far greater than what's available for Mopar. I'll leave you to contemplate as to why that is

Alan Jones
Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: ] #2126764
08/06/16 09:54 PM
08/06/16 09:54 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Originally Posted By 6_pack_runner
Originally Posted By jim sciortino
Originally Posted By turbo toad
Heres the info i just got from the guys at muscle motors take it for what it is.........heres the response i got asking about there low deck block.

Yes its true. We will have a machined block next weekend at the Monster Mopar show @ Norwalk. We will also have them at the Mopar Nations in Columbus a few weeks after that. Yes we have a cross bolted, big bore 400 block available. 400 or 440 main sizing is available and well as big diameter cams. Priority main oiling and oil to the lifters is standard. We don't anticipate having inventory for about a year. Everything is built to order for right now. $1700 deposit gets your place in line. then 6-8 weeks we will be ready to deliver the block and the balance is due when it is ready to ship.

All block B, RB wedge, RB Hemi all start @$3800 and are small bore

Big bore
big cam
Big main in 400 block
cross bolt #5
Bushed lifter bores
Are all upgrades and will incur additional cost.

Cast and machined in the USA, steel billet caps and ARP main studs std.
It's good to hear somebody is trying to supply blocks, but......

A 300# iron block, with a 4.500 bore, a 55/60mm tunnel, all five cross-bolted and bushed lifter bores, will cost what.....somewhere around $5500 to $6000 BEFORE a lightening program???

Yikes. What's left of my bankbook clearly shows I have no problem spending money on this stuff, but that's in the vacinity of aluminum block money, only without the general repairability and a 150+ pound heavier car.

Mr Sciortino.....can you tell me who this quote is by..."I'm a BUYER of parts and 'whine" because I'm sick of idiots complaining about the cost of the few parts that become available"........ shruggy
Allow me to reply, since I may not have been clear.......

I am thrilled another block option is being made available and I hope it's a successful endeavor, with Muscle Motors selling trillions of copies.

The only issue I commented on, is the close proximity in price to an already available block option. One that has 2 major benefits. One, being weight and the 2nd being repairability. If the MM iron piece was the only game in town, I'd have no problem forking over the required amount. The problem is, it's not the only game in town and the other 'game', the INDY MAXX has a similar price-point, depending on options, along with the aforementioned advantages.

Nowhere did I say I wouldn't purchase this product due to the cost factor. I simply stated the possible economic disadvantage of a bottom line so close to an already existing product.....minus the inherent positives of the already existing product.

If I were in the market for a block to build a wedge, or HEMI and my only choice was a 300# iron piece in the 6K range optioned to my needs, I'd spring just like I've sprung countless times before. Fortunately for buyers and perhaps unfortunately for MM......there is another choice and IF KB gets their act together, there will be yet another choice.

This may not bode well for MM and that pains me, since I'm always rooting for people who would bring quality parts to market for MOPAR types.

Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: moparroad] #2126818
08/06/16 11:37 PM
08/06/16 11:37 PM
Charlotte, North Carolina
sgcuda Offline
master
sgcuda  Offline
master

There's also the Bill Mitchell aluminum blocks.

[image][/image]
Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: moparroad] #2127064
08/07/16 12:14 PM
08/07/16 12:14 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Bill Mitchell is having issues with his Foundry and machining in Canada as well.

As for cranks I just toured a large billet manufacturer who said 7 weeks from order to delivery. They are that busy..

They have plenty lined up and everyone is busy working

These are all 5.0 and 5.3 stuff, one of a few pallets of them

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: moparroad] #2127078
08/07/16 12:46 PM
08/07/16 12:46 PM
sgcuda Offline
master
sgcuda  Offline
master

Man, that's a lot of cranks. (without starting a pissing match) are they American made? Feel free not to answer.

I lived on Long Island and worked in Ronkonkoma before moving to NC. Never got the opportunity to run down to Bill Mitchell. For that matter, never went over to Kooks either. They were located in Dix Hills. Don't know if Jack Merkell is still around. I had Lee at Lab Machine do all of my work. Real smart guy. Great at thinking out of the box.

[image][/image]
Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: sgcuda] #2127226
08/07/16 04:56 PM
08/07/16 04:56 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Originally Posted By sgcuda
There's also the Bill Mitchell aluminum blocks.
Just from reading the usual internet back and forth, I was under the impression the INDY MAXX is currently the one block that can be had in multiple configurations in a reasonable time frame and in useable condition when purchasing from one of the reputable dealers for INDY's products.

I didn't realize Mitchell has blocks at the ready.

Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: sgcuda] #2127319
08/07/16 07:48 PM
08/07/16 07:48 PM
PA
S
Scully Online content
enthusiast
Scully  Online Content
enthusiast
S

PA
Originally Posted By sgcuda
Man, that's a lot of cranks. (without starting a pissing match) are they American made? Feel free not to answer.

I lived on Long Island and worked in Ronkonkoma before moving to NC. Never got the opportunity to run down to Bill Mitchell. For that matter, never went over to Kooks either. They were located in Dix Hills. Don't know if Jack Merkell is still around. I had Lee at Lab Machine do all of my work. Real smart guy. Great at thinking out of the box.

I worked for Lee back in the mid 70s, Mitchel used to operate out of his garage in West Islip a few blocks away from me, I could hear him doing dyno pulls from my driveway.

Re: New Wedge and Hemi blocks [Re: moparroad] #2127801
08/08/16 12:55 PM
08/08/16 12:55 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Very much American made. All done in house, as in 100% in house manufafturing done in Denver Colorado. Winberg Cranks, just one of many V Gaines Companies. One building housing GRP, Gibtek Pistons and Winberg Crankshaft.

Oh yeah just FYI he aint done, just might be done with a certain brand....

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7