C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted By twayne24365
I don't know if it's true or not, but I was once told that an old superstock trick was draining the oil and running it, less windage I suppose but bye bye motor. Maybe someone else could confirm or deny that?
That was common on both SS and modified Chevy racers shruggy I never heard of any BB Mopar racers doing that work I did have one of the better SO CA dyno shops make a comment on loosing HP by adding one aditional quart of oil one of my 440 motors I was dynoing there and they where shocked when adding the fifth quart didn't make any measureable differences in torque or HP on that motor work They did a lot of dynoing NHRA Chevy and Ford class motors, SS, Comp and blown alcholol motors shruggy They did share that using the zero weight Royal Purple synthetiic oils in a N/A Comp eliminator motor was good for one pass only, those motors would run faster the first pass on that oil and break on the second pass if you didn't change it shock That was back in the late 1990s and early 2000s shruggyMaybe things are better now with those type oils shruggy

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 07/11/16 04:42 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: NHRA PRO STOCK [Re: Thumperdart] #2109513
07/13/16 06:13 PM
07/13/16 06:13 PM
TN
S
SCATPACK 1 Offline
pro stock
SCATPACK 1  Offline
pro stock
S

TN
Originally Posted By Thumperdart
I don't know if it's true or not, but I was once told that an old superstock trick was draining the oil and running it, less windage I suppose but bye bye motor. Maybe someone else could confirm or deny that?

3 quarts maybe but no oil wouldn`t fly I would think.......

Thumper
Back in early 70's Gene Snow ran a funny car and Wolf's head Racing Oil ran an add in National Dragster and several magazines at the time. Stating he drained the oil to change it, but forgot to put the new oil in to complete the change. Then he made a full run down the track as I remember it and had no issues when he pulled it apart back in the pits. Not sure if it was true or not, but he swore by it.

Old Geezer Racing
Re: NHRA PRO STOCK [Re: SCATPACK 1] #2109527
07/13/16 06:29 PM
07/13/16 06:29 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
If you think about it a garden hose is nominally about 25-30PSI, if you have sufficient volume of a thin oil I see not much issue of a motor living on fairly low pressures compared to old school 30/40/50 weight standards.

I remember that Gene Snow ad....heck, Wolfs Head had enough Pennsylvania Parrafin wax in it the bearings couldn't spin if the motor sat after the run for 40 years!

Last edited by Streetwize; 07/13/16 06:32 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: NHRA PRO STOCK [Re: SCATPACK 1] #2109535
07/13/16 06:58 PM
07/13/16 06:58 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline OP
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Originally Posted By SCATPACK 1
Originally Posted By Thumperdart

3 quarts maybe but no oil wouldn`t fly I would think.......

Thumper
Back in early 70's Gene Snow ran a funny car and Wolf's head Racing Oil ran an add in National Dragster and several magazines at the time. Stating he drained the oil to change it, but forgot to put the new oil in to complete the change. Then he made a full run down the track as I remember it and had no issues when he pulled it apart back in the pits. Not sure if it was true or not, but he swore by it.

That`s crazy and maybe the bearings/motor was treated somehow cos Bob Pettis told me years ago that the family was coming back from up north and he lost oil pressure many miles from home. He figured screw it and if it blows oh well which it made it back home and they pulled it down for inspection, and it was in good shape considering. His tried n true trick is Pro-blend which is where he gives credit and it apparently coats the vital areas w/something special and actually worked............

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: NHRA PRO STOCK [Re: Cab_Burge] #2109557
07/13/16 07:32 PM
07/13/16 07:32 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
That was common on both SS and modified Chevy racers shruggy I never heard of any BB Mopar racers doing that work I did have one of the better SO CA dyno shops make a comment on loosing HP by adding one aditional quart of oil one of my 440 motors I was dynoing there and they where shocked when adding the fifth quart didn't make any measureable differences in torque or HP on that motor work They did a lot of dynoing NHRA Chevy and Ford class motors, SS, Comp and blown alcholol motors shruggy They did share that using the zero weight Royal Purple synthetiic oils in a N/A Comp eliminator motor was good for one pass only, those motors would run faster the first pass on that oil and break on the second pass if you didn't change it shock That was back in the late 1990s and early 2000s shruggyMaybe things are better now with those type oils shruggy
That's because of the skirted block. The windage is horrific in a non dry sump skirted block with a little oil or a lot of oil, so it didn't matter

Page 2 of 2 1 2