Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
This cutting the huge percentage wise holes in the TB crossmember seems to ignore the main purpose of the crossmember's function, and effectively weakens it, to gain stiffness of the FC. The TB crossmeber is ALWAYS taking load, except when on jackstands or wheelstand when airborne. The FC does not. I would strongly suggest thinking this solution, at this scale (size of holes), over very carefully, as it is hard to reverse. I mentioned and others have mentioned alternative solutions. twocents

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Frame connectors [Re: jcc] #2095434
06/21/16 02:27 AM
06/21/16 02:27 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted By jcc
This cutting the huge percentage wise holes in the TB crossmember seems to ignore the main purpose of the crossmember's function, and effectively weakens it, to gain stiffness of the FC. The TB crossmeber is ALWAYS taking load, except when on jackstands or wheelstand when airborne. The FC does not. I would strongly suggest thinking this solution, at this scale (size of holes), over very carefully, as it is hard to reverse. I mentioned and others have mentioned alternative solutions. twocents

So you cut holes-whatever and not weld them back to the new tubing (box or round)?? The x member is SPOT welded to the sill and SPOT welded to the front frame, now a tube is laid into the x member, welded all around, and the x member is weaker? I'm sure some person can botch this up with sloppy welds-poor fitment but done properly it will be stronger.

Re: Frame connectors [Re: cudaman1969] #2095521
06/21/16 10:17 AM
06/21/16 10:17 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Yes the crossmember is weaker, but my concern is more with larger holes and their shape, like the 2x3 already mentioned, any hole makes it weaker, even when the cut out is welded 100%, unless the intersecting member has its own internally added gusset, the point being, bigger hole is worse. Whether the decrease in strength is acceptable, is why people drive fords, chevys, and mopars. twocents

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Frame connectors [Re: Tech Instructor] #2095602
06/21/16 12:50 PM
06/21/16 12:50 PM
East Coast
A
A/MP Offline
super stock
A/MP  Offline
super stock
A

East Coast
I can understand that cutting front and rear holes in the front member is stronger if you have a new chassis. If we are speaking of factory steel that is 50+ years old, I'd say no. I don't like hanging pipe just off the back side if the crossmember. After looking at bolt on frame connectors, I built a flange that gives me some beef to hang that connector while I also tie it directly, at that point, to the crossmember. Then I pick up a few more good tacks where the flange meets the crossmember, about 2-3" right and left. For my next build, I will fabricate a U channel that I will slip over the crossmember with welds on both sides. This should strengthen the crossmember. It will then place stress where the frame connector is attached. I never believed that the factory sheet metal and tubing was ever that great. Add 50+ years of stress and rust and then add heat from your welds and it just adds the to weakness of the steel in general. So whatever bracing that you can do to force the load over a longer distance, is in my opinion, a better solution.

Re: Frame connectors [Re: jcc] #2095616
06/21/16 01:25 PM
06/21/16 01:25 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Originally Posted By jcc
You could take a hole saw and cut holes all through the TB crossmember and not weaken it. You could also do the same to your front frame rails and 2x3 subframe connectors and not weaken them in the direction they are designed to support. This is simple engineering principles. The purpose of the TB crossmember is to hold the front of the car up. That's where the springs(torsion bars) mount. The bars are basically trying to twist that crossmember out of the car in a vertical motion. Since they can't twist the crossmember out, they push the car up. Drilling holes will not effect the strength of that crossmember in a vertical plane.

Plus when I say I cut holes, I do it for a purpose. I cut a hole right behind the front frame rail and actually insert my tubing up INTO to the front frame rail and plug weld it, plus plate it inside the TB crossmember, as well as plating the outside where the tubing enters. All this actually ties the frame connector TO the front frame, which is the point of the entire exercise.

Frame ties do exactly THAT. They tie the front and rear frame rails together...........so to properly DO that, the tie needs to actually attach TO the front frame rail, not the backside of a sheetmetal crossmember welded behind it. As I said, I run the tie inside the front rail, but I have seen guys bring the tubing through the TB member and weld it to a plate on the side of front frame rail, where it kicks out

Re: Frame connectors [Re: Tech Instructor] #2095635
06/21/16 01:55 PM
06/21/16 01:55 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Drilling or cutting a hole through a piece of tube or box, passing a piece of tube or box of proper strength through it and welding both sides is much preferred (to me anyways) to just welding something to the side of the main member. Especially if it is subject to flex. It acts as a reinforcement to the main member rather than flexing and maybe cracking it at the weld. Done all the time, suspension mounts, weight bars, anything substantial or heavy enough to crack the piece it's being attached to.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Frame connectors [Re: Monte_Smith] #2095720
06/21/16 04:14 PM
06/21/16 04:14 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Originally Posted By jcc
You could take a hole saw and cut holes all through the TB crossmember and not weaken it. You could also do the same to your front frame rails and 2x3 subframe connectors and not weaken them in the direction they are designed to support. This is simple engineering principles. The purpose of the TB crossmember is to hold the front of the car up. That's where the springs(torsion bars) mount. The bars are basically trying to twist that crossmember out of the car in a vertical motion. Since they can't twist the crossmember out, they push the car up. Drilling holes will not effect the strength of that crossmember in a vertical plane.

Plus when I say I cut holes, I do it for a purpose. I cut a hole right behind the front frame rail and actually insert my tubing up INTO to the front frame rail and plug weld it, plus plate it inside the TB crossmember, as well as plating the outside where the tubing enters. All this actually ties the frame connector TO the front frame, which is the point of the entire exercise.

Frame ties do exactly THAT. They tie the front and rear frame rails together...........so to properly DO that, the tie needs to actually attach TO the front frame rail, not the backside of a sheetmetal crossmember welded behind it. As I said, I run the tie inside the front rail, but I have seen guys bring the tubing through the TB member and weld it to a plate on the side of front frame rail, where it kicks out

Exactly, what I was trying to say and what I do, you said it much better.

Re: Frame connectors [Re: cudaman1969] #2095741
06/21/16 04:50 PM
06/21/16 04:50 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
"You could take a hole saw and cut holes all through the TB crossmember and not weaken it. You could also do the same to your front frame rails and 2x3 subframe connectors and not weaken them in the direction they are designed to support. This is simple engineering principles."

Whatever.

Re: Frame connectors [Re: jcc] #2096030
06/22/16 02:18 AM
06/22/16 02:18 AM
Thigh-Gap Junction
@
@#$%&*! Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@#$%&*!  Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@

Thigh-Gap Junction
I'm with you, JCC. And instead of casually stating "engineering principles" I actually went to engineering school for 7 years...

Re: Frame connectors [Re: Tech Instructor] #2096055
06/22/16 04:37 AM
06/22/16 04:37 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Well then, how about explaining how a few holes in a piece of 2x3 tubing radically weakens it on the vertical plane, when you have it standing up. I am all ears

Re: Frame connectors [Re: Monte_Smith] #2096088
06/22/16 09:34 AM
06/22/16 09:34 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Well then, how about explaining how a few holes in a piece of 2x3 tubing radically weakens it on the vertical plane, when you have it standing up. I am all ears

then welding said "passing through" tubing to both sides plus adding reinforcement plates to both sides as well. i'm not picking sides here. in over 50 years of playing, plus 42 1/2 years of machining stuff for a living, i have seen text book "proper principals" fail miserably and "hill billy engineering" succeed way beyond anything should be allowed to do going against "proper practices.
beer

Re: Frame connectors [Re: Tech Instructor] #2096194
06/22/16 12:53 PM
06/22/16 12:53 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
This isn't hillbilly engineering. This is the same principle that means a truss is just as strong as a solid beam in some instances.

Page 2 of 2 1 2