05/30/16 01:14 PM
05/30/16 01:14 PM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
I had a brake issue YIKES!!! and I decided to get a new master cylinder & brake booster for my '70 Roadrunner power front disc/rear drum car. My original booster went out back in 1990 and I replaced it with one from a power drum/drum brake car since that was all that was available at the time. Anyway, there's a new reproduction brake booster out there and I bought one from "pirate jack".
[​IMG]
The references I've seen say "hub of booster is larger than original and requires some modification" which I "think" might be the big hole in the firewall has to be enlarged or maybe a bracket around that hole inside the car?

Has anyone put on one of these repro brake boosters? What kind of modifications do I have to do? I want to be prepared when the part arrives. Thanks!

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"
Re: Repro 70 Brake Booster - Firewall or Bracket Modification? [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2082809
05/30/16 01:46 PM
05/30/16 01:46 PM
PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
superwrench Offline
master
superwrench  Offline
master

Does your car currently have a bracket on the firewall that the booster is attached to and the articulating linkage is outside the firewall?? I just did a '69 Charger for a booster and the replacement ones have too big of a bolt pattern to mount to the existing bracket hole spacing and the actuator rod's hole is too big for the stock linkage pin. Pain in the a**......but it can be modified...

Re: Repro 70 Brake Booster - Firewall or Bracket Modification? [Re: superwrench] #2083002
05/30/16 08:18 PM
05/30/16 08:18 PM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
Originally Posted By superwrench
Does your car currently have a bracket on the firewall that the booster is attached to and the articulating linkage is outside the firewall?? I just did a '69 Charger for a booster and the replacement ones have too big of a bolt pattern to mount to the existing bracket hole spacing and the actuator rod's hole is too big for the stock linkage pin. Pain in the a**......but it can be modified...

Hmmm....I have to check to see if I have a bracket on the firewall or not. If I remember right, there's nothing but holes on the engine compartment side & there is some type of bracket inside the car by the driver's feet that is part of/next to the pedal brackets (4spd). I believe the "linkage" on the back of the booster connects to the pedal linkage under the dash, by the driver's feet too.

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"
Re: Repro 70 Brake Booster - Firewall or Bracket Modification? [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2083209
05/31/16 01:07 AM
05/31/16 01:07 AM
Georgia
69bfan Offline
enthusiast
69bfan  Offline
enthusiast

Georgia
I have a customer at this time fighting the same battle. This is a 70 B-Body using the power disc brake conversion kit from Right Stuff. Everything fit wells with the exception of the lines coming up the inner fender to the master cylinder. The customer has been on the tech line at Right Stuff twice trying to determine the fix. The supplied brackets is wanting to lift the booster and master cylinder too far forwards and high. There is no way that I am going to ask the customer to modify the firewall. For everything else to fit so nicely, the owner is completely dumb founded. Has anyone else had a similar issue with this conversion kit? Thanks for any input.

www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com
Correct Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock and supply a wide assortment for all of your restoration needs.

www.dalescudashop.com
Correct style exhaust tips and hardware, fresh air seals, go wings, Cuda & Challenger rear window louvers, hood pin kits
Re: Repro 70 Brake Booster - Firewall or Bracket Modification? [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2083297
05/31/16 10:09 AM
05/31/16 10:09 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Online content
master
fastmark  Online Content
master
F

Abilene, Texas
Well I need to get mine out and check it because I just bought one from doc diff. I hope I don't have to hack thing up or I'm sending it back.

Re: Repro 70 Brake Booster - Firewall or Bracket Modification? [Re: 69bfan] #2083321
05/31/16 11:13 AM
05/31/16 11:13 AM
Morristown Tn.
71birdJ68 Offline
master
71birdJ68  Offline
master

Morristown Tn.
I call anything from the Right Stuff, the Wrong Stuff. They can't make anything that fits or works the way it is supposed to. Let me guess, when you talked to them they said that you were the first person that has had any problem? With all of the conversion kits out there now a days that don't fit or work, I don't understand why people fail to use the bolt on factory parts?

Re: Repro 70 Brake Booster - Firewall or Bracket Modification? [Re: 69bfan] #2083374
05/31/16 01:41 PM
05/31/16 01:41 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted By 69bfan
I have a customer at this time fighting the same battle. This is a 70 B-Body using the power disc brake conversion kit from Right Stuff. Everything fit wells with the exception of the lines coming up the inner fender to the master cylinder. The customer has been on the tech line at Right Stuff twice trying to determine the fix. The supplied brackets is wanting to lift the booster and master cylinder too far forwards and high. There is no way that I am going to ask the customer to modify the firewall. For everything else to fit so nicely, the owner is completely dumb founded. Has anyone else had a similar issue with this conversion kit? Thanks for any input.

So make new brake lines then , I don't see the problem ?

Re: Repro 70 Brake Booster - Firewall or Bracket Modification? [Re: 69bfan] #2083378
05/31/16 01:46 PM
05/31/16 01:46 PM
superwrench Offline
master
superwrench  Offline
master

It's that "conversion" bracket that I'm referring to. The Charger had this bracket from the factory....and that is where we had the problem mating the booster studs to it. Yes, it makes the master and booster about 2 1/2" higher and 5" more forward. And makes for a tight fit to get the left valve cover off a big block when using a big bendix booster.

Re: Repro 70 Brake Booster - Firewall or Bracket Modification? [Re: superwrench] #2084409
06/02/16 12:40 AM
06/02/16 12:40 AM
Houston,Tx.
L
Lee446 Offline
pro stock
Lee446  Offline
pro stock
L

Houston,Tx.
I bought the repro bendix booster and M/C from Dr. Diff. I have a 70 GTX that was originally a power drum brake car. The only mods made are opening up the I.D. of the bracket by approx. 1/8", when it fits the booster register, just take it off the booster, place it against the firewall and mark the firewall with a Sharpie to match the mods made to the bracket I.D. I used a die grinder with a carbide cutter to open both holes, it took about 10 minutes and you will never see it. The repro M/C mounted up perfectly and the lines are at the correct height. It was easy and straightforward with no problems and works perfectly. All of the original brake pedal linkage hooked right up. I am pretty sure that there is only one repro Bendix being made, I bought mine from Cas(Dr.Diff) because of the customer service and the fact that he always answers his phone and will help you out if you need it.

Re: Repro 70 Brake Booster - Firewall or Bracket Modification? [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2084517
06/02/16 09:42 AM
06/02/16 09:42 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Online content
master
fastmark  Online Content
master
F

Abilene, Texas
That's good to hear. 1/8" of grinding is not bad.

Re: Repro 70 Brake Booster - Firewall or Bracket Modification? [Re: Lee446] #2086154
06/05/16 01:20 AM
06/05/16 01:20 AM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
Originally Posted By Lee446
I bought the repro bendix booster and M/C from Dr. Diff. I have a 70 GTX that was originally a power drum brake car. The only mods made are opening up the I.D. of the bracket by approx. 1/8", when it fits the booster register, just take it off the booster, place it against the firewall and mark the firewall with a Sharpie to match the mods made to the bracket I.D. I used a die grinder with a carbide cutter to open both holes, it took about 10 minutes and you will never see it. The repro M/C mounted up perfectly and the lines are at the correct height. It was easy and straightforward with no problems and works perfectly. All of the original brake pedal linkage hooked right up. I am pretty sure that there is only one repro Bendix being made, I bought mine from Cas(Dr.Diff) because of the customer service and the fact that he always answers his phone and will help you out if you need it.

Thanks for the advice & that's exactly correct. I just had to open up the center hole a little bit.

Anybody know a good trick to get the brake linkage top bolt (one in back of booster) back in? Dang, there's not much clearance to slip that bolt back in...help!

Re: Repro 70 Brake Booster - Firewall or Bracket Modification? [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2086799
06/06/16 01:38 AM
06/06/16 01:38 AM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
I did finally figure out that it's much easier to take the bracket off the firewall (one nut) & open up the center hole until the plate just slips onto the booster. There was a little bit of firewall metal that stuck into the hole too, but not very much.