M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Originally Posted By mopar dave
I was reading something the other day that said nascar engines run as little as .001 on bearings and those engines spin 9000+ for hours at a time. Also, used to know an old guy that built many circle track engines. He once told me he sets all bearing clearace to .002, when the overlayment wears off there at .0025. Interesting stuff.
You are correct. They also have 1.88 rod journals, as well as mains under 2.0. They have some of the most precisely machined and engineered parts in the world, run oil about the weight of water, with LOTS of friction modifiers in it and also run at a more or less steady rpm for 500 miles or so. When the motors come down after a 500 mile race, the bearings, rods and usually the crank are junk from the intense heat. Tight clearance also equals HIGH heat in both the oil and the bearing. The cranks are machined perfectly and micropolished to a 2 or less microinchess RA. And even though the motors don't make huge power, they run very expensive, high quality steel rods. Why?......because rods deform at both TDC and BDC elongating the hole an changing bearing clearance. Cheap rods deform MORE. Cheap heavy cranks also deform. So comparing a CUP motor to your run of the mill performance motor, is about like comparing a Pro-Stock motor to the one in your minivan. Guys who try and apply cutting edge racing technology to their motor with run of the mill, Chinese made parts are ASKING for trouble. Makes no difference if it checks perfect in the shop. It will NOT be when it's running. THIS is the part guys don't get. .....So, can you run a motor tight and it live? yes sir, but you better have some damn good parts and that list doesn't include $1500 rotating assemblys

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 05/14/16 01:34 AM.
Re: Your prefered minimum bearing clearances? [Re: gregsdart] #2073137
05/14/16 10:30 AM
05/14/16 10:30 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Mine just freshened. 2.2 rods@.0028, mains .0039 both+/- .0001. Has 55psi hot idle, 80psi at speed with 5w30. Lifter bores are up towards .0025 as well. Single line Indy pump. More than enough oil pressure. I will trim the relief spring and bring it down.
Doug

Re: Your prefered minimum bearing clearances? [Re: dvw] #2073188
05/14/16 12:19 PM
05/14/16 12:19 PM
Lynchburg, VA
Leon441 Offline
master
Leon441  Offline
master

Lynchburg, VA
I run tighter clearance used nascar stuff. The cup engines I have show no heat in the bearings. Restrictor plate engines run the 2.000" main journals, I don't.

I got talked into tighter clearances years ago. But, I run top quality American cranks and rods.

NASCAR engines never start cold. Racers shouldn't either. But, I'm lazy when it comes to that. Treat it like Herb McCanders suggested with aluminum rods. Crank it fast idle until tge temp gsuge moves then shut it down.

My 2.00" Dyers rods are .0018". 2.500" mains in aluminum block with steel caps are .003". It gets bigger when hot. I want to find coated bearings with a .001" tight top half. The dry sumps are set up for tight clearance as they pressure oil everything in these engines. I have sped the pump up and the idle pressure will just keep the idiot light out.

Previous builder ran tighter coated mains. They had no trouble running outlaw late model with 50 weight oil and always preheated and primed the pump. I run 10w30 only preheat in freezing temps. Prime only after oil changes or repairs.

The only bearing hurt in 20 years was on my W8 na combo. It ran a real tight main. Took 4 years of racing to do it. But, index racing not shutting engine down for hard braking and starving the sump ignoring the idiot light eat this one up. Big clearance molasses combo would have survived.

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.
Page 2 of 2 1 2