Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Starting restoraton on my 68 Coronet RT need input... [Re: 268RTs4ME] #207129
02/02/09 07:31 PM
02/02/09 07:31 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Never take more than 1 car apart at a time. Doing 2 is to much. The bagging ideas are great. But these cars are pretty simple to put back together. I agree, PRE-FIT,PRE-FIT,PRE-FIT. nothing is more disappointing than opening a brand new shiny repop part and having not fit. This goes for factory as well. When I did my Challenger I had to cut off all the weld studs for the window trim. They were located over .100" high or low to the edge of the body. Test all the dash Functions with a Battery before you install it in the car. Drill 1/8" holes in the hinges before you take them apart so they are easy to locate. I would line up the sheet metal before disassembly so you know what you have as far as fit. Even if your replacing some of it.
good luck Doug

Re: Starting restoraton on my 68 Coronet RT need input... [Re: dvw] #207130
02/02/09 09:59 PM
02/02/09 09:59 PM
Arizona
68CoronetRT Offline
super stock
68CoronetRT  Offline
super stock

Arizona
Quote:

. . . I would line up the sheet metal before disassembly so you know what you have as far as fit. Even if your replacing some of it.
good luck Doug

This is a critical step in my opinion. Try to get all of your doors, fenders, hood and trunk lid lined up and with even reveals. You may not be able to get them perfect but it will help you to see where your problem areas are and then you can notate what needs to be done to fix them.

Re: Starting restoraton on my 68 Coronet RT need input... [Re: 68CoronetRT] #207131
02/02/09 10:15 PM
02/02/09 10:15 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Everything I have read so far seems to be right on. I took dad's Challenger apart over 10 years ago and am going to have a very hard time putting it back together. If I would have taken my time with the dissasembly, I wouldn't be searching for all the fender bolts and little pieces right now.

I did read something in Mopar Muscle a few years back that made a lot of sence too. THey suggested taking the car apart in larger assemblies and leaving them that way until you are ready to restore the whole thing at once. What I mean is...take the engine/trans out the bottom and leave them connected to the K-member along with all the suspension parts. Leave everything together until you are ready to restore the entire assemblly. That way there are less pieces to loose and you will remember how it all goes back together. Good luck on your progect and wish me luck on mine.

Page 2 of 2 1 2