03/29/16 06:47 PM
03/29/16 06:47 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline OP
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline OP
master

South Dakota
Got just the T/A hood that I have to repair and get back in paint. Any suggestions on the repair? It has the usual stress cracks of an original hood. Someone painted it just semi gloss black. Has back hood pin holes in it that I need to repair too. Where they raw underside or painted since I have to fill these 2 holes it will naturally have to be colored under there. Any suggestions?

Thanks
corey

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: T/A hoods? [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #2041685
03/30/16 02:28 AM
03/30/16 02:28 AM
Rescue CA.
joes68340s Offline
mopar
joes68340s  Offline
mopar

Rescue CA.
I will be following this as I have a AAR hood needs the same but mostly cracked through at the Hinge area. Good luck

Re: T/A hoods? [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #2050501
04/09/16 05:22 PM
04/09/16 05:22 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
You could reinforce the hinge areas by sliding some long stiff metal tubing into the fiberglass channel that the original hood hinge brackets are embedded into, and then set it in place with some fiberglass epoxy poured into the channel. I'd drill some holes in the stiffening tubing so the epoxy gets into the tubing as well, not just around it. Repair any issues with the hood hinge bolt threads first, and insert lubed bolts in the threads before pouring in the epoxy. You'd need to jig the hood so it remains straight while the epoxy cures. You can gain access to the channels by opening the very ends of the channels at the back of the hood, where the channels end, by the windshield, then epoxy back the cut pieces. There's no going back after this repair, so make sure any bend due to the flex at the old hinge end point is removed and the hood lines up with the line at the top of the fender.
Not sure as far as the underside finishing goes - whether they tinted the gel coat, dusted the underside with flat black, or just 40+ years of dirt and heat altered the color.
Most guys removed the hinges and pinned them at the rear - pretty common to see them with 4 pins.