Minnesota
R
RROD Offline OP
mopar
RROD  Offline OP
mopar
R

Minnesota
Anyone drill holes for hood pins in a hood without the holes. AMD no longer makes a challenger shaker hood with the hood pin openings. You buy the hood without the holes and drill the openings yourself.

Re: Challenger shaker hood [Re: RROD] #2013541
02/16/16 11:36 PM
02/16/16 11:36 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Done all the time, for decades, best to install/align the hood as you desire, install the hood pins in the proper holes located on the inner fenders, install them lower than needed, just enough to touch the underside of the hood as it's barely closed, put a daub of paint on top of the pin, close the hood, the daub will transfer to the underside of the hood, drill a starter hole using the daub as a guide to locate, remove the pins, close the hood, use the pins bezel on the outer skin to locate the main pin hole size and 4 screws holes need to secure said bezel, I like to use an electrical "knock out" known in the trade by the brandname GreenLee to "pop" the main pin hole required in the hood, no messy drilling, or torn/twisted/distorted sheetmetal by trying to drill a 3/4" diameter hole

Greenlee below, available at most electrical supply store, in case your not familar with it's use....nice clean punched holes, no distortion, factory looking to boot!

Mike

greenlee.jpggreenlee2.jpg
Re: Challenger shaker hood [Re: RROD] #2013550
02/16/16 11:44 PM
02/16/16 11:44 PM
Arizona
A
AzMoparMike Offline
AzMoparMike  Offline
A

Arizona
I've always preferred the hood without holes so I align the hood perfectly then open the hood and install the pins on the core support while applying a dab of paint on top of them. I gently close the hood until they touch the pins and then open the hood where I can see the paint and exactly where to drill for the pins with a small pilot hole and then finish it off with a larger hole and install the rest of the hardware. For me this guarantees each hood and pin alignment is perfect.

Re: Challenger shaker hood [Re: AzMoparMike] #2013571
02/17/16 12:04 AM
02/17/16 12:04 AM
Minnesota
R
RROD Offline OP
mopar
RROD  Offline OP
mopar
R

Minnesota
Thanks for the advise. You guys are great.

Re: Challenger shaker hood [Re: DAYCLONA] #2013582
02/17/16 12:19 AM
02/17/16 12:19 AM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Done all the time, for decades, best to install/align the hood as you desire, install the hood pins in the proper holes located on the inner fenders, install them lower than needed, just enough to touch the underside of the hood as it's barely closed, put a daub of paint on top of the pin, close the hood, the daub will transfer to the underside of the hood, drill a starter hole using the daub as a guide to locate, remove the pins, close the hood, use the pins bezel on the outer skin to locate the main pin hole size and 4 screws holes need to secure said bezel, I like to use an electrical "knock out" known in the trade by the brandname GreenLee to "pop" the main pin hole required in the hood, no messy drilling, or torn/twisted/distorted sheetmetal by trying to drill a 3/4" diameter hole

Greenlee below, available at most electrical supply store, in case your not familar with it's use....nice clean punched holes, no distortion, factory looking to boot!

Mike

Mike,

Your just full of helpful information.

Thanks
Chris