cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted By poorboy
Originally Posted By cudaman1969
Did you move the headlights off the fender or were the half tons that way? I looked at a 3/4-1 ton and the truck just looks bigger, fenders, hood and cab. Anyone know if they are different?

The 3/4 & 1 ton trucks had larger diameter tires & wheels, requiring larger fenders to clear the tires & wheels. The fenders themselves are larger, and the wheel openings are also larger. (1 1/2 ton or bigger used the same basic fender as the 3/4 & 1 ton, but had larger wheel openings, I believe). The bigger fenders bolt up to the 1/2 ton nose pieces, though the 3/4 & 1 tons may have had a higher grill to accommodate a taller radiator. I believe the hood tops are the same (if the grill was higher, the hood sides would have been as well). According to all the info I've seen, the cabs are all the same, but they are raised up on the 3/4 & 1 ton frames with taller filler plates between the cab & running boards.

Dodge also had thicker & sometimes higher frame rails to accommodate the extra load capacity on the 1 tons and bigger (maybe were used on the 3/4 as well). Gene

Thanks for info. Not seeing a lot of these trucks I wasn't sure but the fenders did look bigger like you said. Now I'm torn between this truck or looking for the half ton. Hate to pass up since it's basically rust free, just some surface rust. A little costly buying the whole truck just for body, hood and doors. I guess I'll make a parts type offer and see where that takes me.

Re: My '47 Dodge Pickup [Re: Pops47] #1960715
12/01/15 03:11 AM
12/01/15 03:11 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Don't know what kind of money your looking at, but a good cab & doors, with a hood & grill pieces are worth spending some money on, especially if it has a title. I've been looking for a decent cab, hood, and grill pieces for a while. They are not easy to find, and most I find that are decent are pretty high priced, or across the country, which adds at least $1,000 to the price. I bought a rusty cab in April, it has no floors, rockers or door bottoms, the doors are gutted and there is no glass, windshield frame or hinges. This is just the rusty body, there is no frame! I did get a hood, grill & box sides, but none of the rest of the box. There are no fenders, and there is no paperwork. I was excited to buy it for less then $1,000! I have a pair of 1 ton front fenders that are in decent condition (I have no rear fenders), if I put fenders on it, I will use the 1 ton fenders.
Modifying the fenders isn't that big of a deal unless your planning on laying it on the ground. The difference between the 3/4 ton and the 1/2 ton fenders are mostly in the back lower section and the wheel opening.

Given 1/2 a chance, I'd buy a 1 or 1 1/2 ton cab & nose,(frame wouldn't matter) if it was priced right, in decent condition (bigger trucks tend to have better condition bodies), and had a title. I've only seen rough ones in the $1500 (too much for me) range that were 1,000 miles away. I did miss out on a nice truck here on Moparts last year, when I didn't have any money. Gene

Re: My '47 Dodge Pickup [Re: poorboy] #1960950
12/01/15 02:43 PM
12/01/15 02:43 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted By poorboy
Don't know what kind of money your looking at, but a good cab & doors, with a hood & grill pieces are worth spending some money on, especially if it has a title. I've been looking for a decent cab, hood, and grill pieces for a while. They are not easy to find, and most I find that are decent are pretty high priced, or across the country, which adds at least $1,000 to the price. I bought a rusty cab in April, it has no floors, rockers or door bottoms, the doors are gutted and there is no glass, windshield frame or hinges. This is just the rusty body, there is no frame! I did get a hood, grill & box sides, but none of the rest of the box. There are no fenders, and there is no paperwork. I was excited to buy it for less then $1,000! I have a pair of 1 ton front fenders that are in decent condition (I have no rear fenders), if I put fenders on it, I will use the 1 ton fenders.
Modifying the fenders isn't that big of a deal unless your planning on laying it on the ground. The difference between the 3/4 ton and the 1/2 ton fenders are mostly in the back lower section and the wheel opening.

Given 1/2 a chance, I'd buy a 1 or 1 1/2 ton cab & nose,(frame wouldn't matter) if it was priced right, in decent condition (bigger trucks tend to have better condition bodies), and had a title. I've only seen rough ones in the $1500 (too much for me) range that were 1,000 miles away. I did miss out on a nice truck here on Moparts last year, when I didn't have any money. Gene

Might be able to get the whole truck for $2500, too much?

Re: My '47 Dodge Pickup [Re: cudaman1969] #1961141
12/01/15 06:54 PM
12/01/15 06:54 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
[/quote]
Might be able to get the whole truck for $2500, too much? [/quote]

Keep in mind, I'm a cheapskate working with a non-existent budget. What is "expensive" to me probably isn't to anyone else. Add to that the nearly everything I've built started out as a pile of rusty junk, I paid $200 for my complete (except what was rusted away) 48 Plymouth 5 years ago. I'll build things for myself most wouldn't, and most of which I would advise others not to pay me to build. I figure my time doesn't cost me anything, but everyone else pays for my services.

If the whole truck involves a good cab & doors, a decent frame, a title, and all the odds & ends that add up pretty quick when your looking to buy them, and its not far from home, $2500 doesn't sound too bad. However, if everything is wore out, or every area needs some kind of attention, or its across the country, $2500 may be on the high side. A point to consider, several years ago, it cost $1.25 per mile (location to location) to haul a car/truck that could be rolled onto the trailer. I suspect that number is low these days. How far away something is has a huge impact on somethings value.

One of the neat things about Dodge was that other then the number of leafs in the spring pack, a 1/2 ton axle will bolt up to where a 1 ton axle used to be, so you have some options with that 3/4 ton.

You want to determine what you want the final product to look like. There is a huge difference between a slammed on the ground pickup, and a converted to 4x4 pickup. There are a lot of options between those two ends, and there are even more extremes on both ends of that story. Different parts, and different sources for parts are required for each project. How much of the original truck can be used will be dependent on what the final vision looks like. Any of them can make nice drivers. The nice driver is a state of what conditions make a nice driver in your mind, and what you will build it to. What I call a nice driver might be a pile of junk to you, or vice a versa.

Probably not very helpful, but this is the reality. Its your truck, build what you want. I suggest that have that vision before you start, then don't change the vision once you start acquiring parts. Built that truck through completion, it costs a lot to change directions. If your vision changes, save those thoughts for the next truck! They used to say you have to build 3 to get the one you want, but I suspect that meant all 3 were similar to each other. The 3 count doesn't start until you build a 2nd one almost like the first. LOL
Gene

Page 2 of 2 1 2