North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
A relatively stock chassied car, with a stock tunnel and a couple loops................when it breaks a steel or aluminum shaft, the whipping tubing literally destroys the rear of the car, if it doesn't break at the joint. The only way to remotely "contain" a broken shaft, is with some of the moly driveshaft "enclosures" like tube chassis cars have and those still take a serious beating.

Some may remember a few years ago the lady, Barb Nesbitt, who was trying to sue NHRA because her car broke a shaft, got in the car, wrapped her arm around it, and nearly pulled it off. If carbon, she may have had a splinter at worst

Re: Driveshafts: Steel vs. Aluminum vs. Carbon Fiber [Re: sgcuda] #1898826
08/25/15 02:29 AM
08/25/15 02:29 AM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
Re: "it's a law of diminishing returns"
The amount of power required to change rotational speed is exactly the same regardless of what speed.

Re: aluminum vs. steel
As MR_P_BODY said above, the diameter is too small for the rotational inertia to be much different. What you're left with is the actual "dead" weight difference, which is a very expensive way to save weight.
If I didn't have one, and I could afford it, I'd buy aluminum.
As Vizard points out, there is no way to tell whether a CF D/S is a great product or a bomb due to quality control issues.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: Driveshafts: Steel vs. Aluminum vs. Carbon Fiber [Re: sgcuda] #1898842
08/25/15 03:04 AM
08/25/15 03:04 AM
IL
E
EchoSixMike Offline
mopar
EchoSixMike  Offline
mopar
E

IL
There's a nifty chart out there on the internet that shows what diameter and material you need for X length to stay below the critical RPM at which your DS turns into a slinky.

Aluminum is less weight than steel, so for the same weight, an aluminum DS will be stiffer; going backwards, the same stiffness DS will weigh less in aluminum. Diameter is the easy way to gain stiffness, same as pushrods (or anything else) vice increasing wall thickness. Less weight is better. S/F.....Ken M

Re: Driveshafts: Steel vs. Aluminum vs. Carbon Fiber [Re: Monte_Smith] #1899187
08/25/15 04:52 PM
08/25/15 04:52 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Theory says the engine has to accelerate two different things.
1. The weight of the car.
2. The rotational inertia of everything on the car that accelerates when the car accelerates. That means engine rotating mass, flywheel and all clutch parts, all transmission parts involved at any one time, the driveshaft, ring and pinion, axle shafts, wheels and tires, brakes.

In Mark's Mechanical Engineering handbook, 7th ed., there is an interesting statement that tfor a popular car of I believe the '50s, with a total gear ratio of around 14:1 the engine spend as much power accelerating the rotating parts as the static parts.

The issue is that rotational inertia is influenced by the distance of the mass from the rotational axis, I believe by something like the 4th power. Realistically this means that as the diameter decreases, the rotational inertia decreases rapidly. So the contribution of things like axle shafts is usually neglected. So with shafts in transmissions. Acceleration is change in rotional speed divided by time. If you think about it you see that the engine parts change rpm much more than say a driveshaft, which accelerates more slowly than any other shaft except the axles themselves. Plus the driveshaft is maybe 4: in diameter, which means that even though it has length, it doesn't contribute very much to the rotational mass the engine is trying to accelerate.

So the real contribution a lightweight driveshaft makes is to static mass reduction. This is, I believe, why the auto manufacturers are making them out of aluminum. Every pound of vehicle mass requires energy to move and the CAFE standards are tightening.

There's another factor that has been mentioned and that is stiffness. A driveshaft in a drag car is long and slender and unsupported on both ends, so it is prone to vibration. Building a stiffer driveshaft is easier when using a lightweight material like aluminum or carbon fiber, as it can be made larger in diameter for the same weight, and larger in diameter is better than wall thickness for increasing the resonant frequency.

Thus, using a lightweight driveshaft won't really make a difference in acceleration due to reduction in rotating mass, but it will make a difference in reducing static mass. It will also allow a stiffer driveshaft which will be safer. Go as light as you can afford.

R.

Re: Driveshafts: Steel vs. Aluminum vs. Carbon Fiber [Re: dogdays] #1899205
08/25/15 05:22 PM
08/25/15 05:22 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Originally Posted By dogdays
Theory says the engine has to accelerate two different things.
1. The weight of the car.
2. The rotational inertia of everything on the car that accelerates when the car accelerates. That means engine rotating mass, flywheel and all clutch parts, all transmission parts involved at any one time, the driveshaft, ring and pinion, axle shafts, wheels and tires, brakes.

In Mark's Mechanical Engineering handbook, 7th ed., there is an interesting statement that tfor a popular car of I believe the '50s, with a total gear ratio of around 14:1 the engine spend as much power accelerating the rotating parts as the static parts.

The issue is that rotational inertia is influenced by the distance of the mass from the rotational axis, I believe by something like the 4th power. Realistically this means that as the diameter decreases, the rotational inertia decreases rapidly. So the contribution of things like axle shafts is usually neglected. So with shafts in transmissions. Acceleration is change in rotional speed divided by time. If you think about it you see that the engine parts change rpm much more than say a driveshaft, which accelerates more slowly than any other shaft except the axles themselves. Plus the driveshaft is maybe 4: in diameter, which means that even though it has length, it doesn't contribute very much to the rotational mass the engine is trying to accelerate.

So the real contribution a lightweight driveshaft makes is to static mass reduction. This is, I believe, why the auto manufacturers are making them out of aluminum. Every pound of vehicle mass requires energy to move and the CAFE standards are tightening.

There's another factor that has been mentioned and that is stiffness. A driveshaft in a drag car is long and slender and unsupported on both ends, so it is prone to vibration. Building a stiffer driveshaft is easier when using a lightweight material like aluminum or carbon fiber, as it can be made larger in diameter for the same weight, and larger in diameter is better than wall thickness for increasing the resonant frequency.

Thus, using a lightweight driveshaft won't really make a difference in acceleration due to reduction in rotating mass, but it will make a difference in reducing static mass. It will also allow a stiffer driveshaft which will be safer. Go as light as you can afford.

R.

Thats why I'm glad my DS is short... I dont need the
big diameter or thick wall... yes the other shafts would
be lighter BUT at double the cost... and as a bracket car
I dont worry about that .. cost vs weight.. yes I could
have knocked another 50# out of my car but the cost didnt
justify it
wave

Re: Driveshafts: Steel vs. Aluminum vs. Carbon Fiber [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1899367
08/25/15 09:43 PM
08/25/15 09:43 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

No sweat, you decide what you can or want to afford. A bracket car needs to be consistent, may not be looking for the last tenth. My steel driveshaft works just fine, except when I lift it into place I wish it was lighter!

R.

Re: Driveshafts: Steel vs. Aluminum vs. Carbon Fiber [Re: sgcuda] #1899404
08/25/15 10:40 PM
08/25/15 10:40 PM
Charlotte, North Carolina
sgcuda Offline OP
master
sgcuda  Offline OP
master

Charlotte, North Carolina
Well, I haven't done any pricing yet. How much are aluminum drive shafts going for these days. How much are steel ones in comparison. Can't be too cheap. My Mark Williams slip yoke wasn't cheap when I purchased it last century. At least I can reuse that for the new shaft. Already set up for 1350 u joints.

[image][/image]
Re: Driveshafts: Steel vs. Aluminum vs. Carbon Fiber [Re: sgcuda] #1899433
08/25/15 11:14 PM
08/25/15 11:14 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Get one made local, there are a ton of places that make them in Charlotte.

Re: Driveshafts: Steel vs. Aluminum vs. Carbon Fiber [Re: Challenger 1] #1899449
08/25/15 11:28 PM
08/25/15 11:28 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Can a CF DS be shortened? work

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Driveshafts: Steel vs. Aluminum vs. Carbon Fiber [Re: dogdays] #1899845
08/26/15 04:49 PM
08/26/15 04:49 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
For a typical bracket car the driveshaft probably doesn't matter much. But, once the driveshaft speed starts getting fairly high it becomes a safety issue and you have to change materials. There are driveshaft calculators out on the web. The critical speed depends on the length and the diameter. We had to change one car from steel to aluminum just because the steel shaft was close to reaching critical speed in high gear.

Re: Driveshafts: Steel vs. Aluminum vs. Carbon Fiber [Re: sgcuda] #1899919
08/26/15 07:33 PM
08/26/15 07:33 PM
Florida
CJD AUTOMOTIVE Offline
mopar
CJD AUTOMOTIVE  Offline
mopar

Florida
CF shafts can be made to have a much higher critical speed and more importantly, they store energy, like a spring. They wind and unwind, taking some of the driveline shock away that tends to break parts. They absorb a great deal of harmonic energy as well, i.e vibrations. Best of all they "broom" when they fail. The cost to fix any tunnel or trans damage, even with loops, is far more than an upgrade to a CF shaft. Just my .02. Maybe not quicker, but easier on parts, less vibration, and no huge damage when broken.

Craig Scholl
CJD Automotive, LLC
Jacksonville, FL
www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com
904-400-1802

"I own a Mopar. I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification"
Page 2 of 2 1 2