01/10/09 12:32 PM
01/10/09 12:32 PM
Mopar Country, Mi
ccdave Offline OP
The Ultimate
ccdave  Offline OP
The Ultimate

Mopar Country, Mi
Since I have my motor all apart. I would like to paint the lifter valley. What paint can I use ?

Re: Painting the valley on bb Mopar ? [Re: ccdave] #189408
01/10/09 12:33 PM
01/10/09 12:33 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Eastwood's "Glyptol" is made for that purpose

Re: Painting the valley on bb Mopar ? [Re: ccdave] #189409
01/10/09 03:43 PM
01/10/09 03:43 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I use Rustoleum Red Damp Proof Primer, others use the G.E. brand of Glyptol and Eastwoods also. Eastwoods doesn't sem as good as the G.E. brand the main thing to do before painting is to get the block super clean and free of oil,I use laquer thinner as the last step in cleaning and then use a heat gun, hair dryer or a propane torch to dry the complete valley any moisture to get it out of the cast iron. Hold the heat source on the metal(20 to 45 seconds or so) until you see the water boil up out of the cast iron, sometimes it takes two or more passes to get them completely dry do it once and come back to where you started at and see if it will dry up some more before paintning some people on this forum thank that the Glyptol is the only sealer to use, Mopar factory racers where successfully using the Rustoleum Damp Proof primer back in the 1960 or earlier

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Painting the valley on bb Mopar ? [Re: Cab_Burge] #189410
01/10/09 04:01 PM
01/10/09 04:01 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Glyptol was developed decades ago as an insulating barrier in between phase windings of induatrial electrical motors, great stuff.

Surface preparation is the key to getting any paint to stick.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: Painting the valley on bb Mopar ? [Re: ccdave] #189411
01/10/09 04:35 PM
01/10/09 04:35 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Online content
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Online Content
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
I, too, prefer the Rustoleum Red Damp Proof Primer. Being oil based it's more forgiving of surface preparation, a little surface rust and oil won't affect the adhesion.

4938253-511.2.jpg (199 downloads)
Re: Painting the valley on bb Mopar ? [Re: John_Kunkel] #189412
01/10/09 06:16 PM
01/10/09 06:16 PM
Mt. Eden Ky.
Hemi Allstate Offline
master
Hemi Allstate  Offline
master

Mt. Eden Ky.

I have always used the Rustoleum.

Mark

http://marsh-racing.com/Mark%20Mahorney-Allstate.htm
1996 Ram 1500 Sport
1968 road runner
1952 Sears Allstate licensed, pump gas, Hemi 5.98 @ 115.73 1.33 60 ft. The best is yet to come. Painless Performance / Street RODDER magazine Top 100 for 2019
Re: Painting the valley on bb Mopar ? [Re: Hemi Allstate] #189413
01/10/09 06:58 PM
01/10/09 06:58 PM
Alexandria, VA
SealockRacing Offline
mopar
SealockRacing  Offline
mopar

Alexandria, VA
so what does painting the valley do?

just make the oil drain back a little faster?

what are the benefits...

John

Re: Painting the valley on bb Mopar ? [Re: SealockRacing] #189414
01/10/09 07:59 PM
01/10/09 07:59 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I paint mine to seal the metal, especially after deburring the valley with a die grinder. I do the cast iron heads also after deburring, any shiny metal stands out really well with that color. the oil drain back is probally a plus also

Re: Painting the valley on bb Mopar ? [Re: ccdave] #189415
01/10/09 11:32 PM
01/10/09 11:32 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Whatever paint you use, don't use a spray can, use a brush to push it into the pores. And let it dry a week at least before putting it into service.

Re: Painting the valley on bb Mopar ? [Re: Sixpak] #189416
01/11/09 02:48 AM
01/11/09 02:48 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Whatever paint you use, don't use a spray can, use a brush to push it into the pores. And let it dry a week at least before putting it into service.

I use to not dry the block with a heat gun, that would make the rustoleum dry slower in the winter than in the summer in the Mojave desert in the summer with the air conditioner off in my engine room. Once I started drying the block out with heat the paint would be dry within two to three hours, if the block was still warm when I started painting it

Re: Painting the valley on bb Mopar ? [Re: Cab_Burge] #189417
01/11/09 08:12 AM
01/11/09 08:12 AM
Ansonia, CT
C
CJK440 Offline
master
CJK440  Offline
master
C

Ansonia, CT
So the paint itself doesn't help drainback compared to iron, its just a "leveling media" used to smooth out a rougher cast surface???

2017 Contusion Blue Challenger T/A 392 M6 "BLKNBLU"
Re: Painting the valley on bb Mopar ? [Re: CJK440] #189418
01/11/09 11:15 AM
01/11/09 11:15 AM
Syracuse,NY
CompWedgeEngines Offline
master
CompWedgeEngines  Offline
master

Syracuse,NY
1) Eastwoods version IS Glyptol, there is no difference other than Eastwood wacks you a small fortune for it. It can be bought elsewhere much cheaper.

2) As mentioned by everyone, clean...clean..clean is the key. I use a lot of it and as long as you spend the time cleaning it, it works fine. I too like to heat the block. I use a radiant propane heater for final preparation and it works well. After the Glyptol has dried for a while, I bake it on. Works much better. I have never used the Rustoleum, some seem to like it. I simply know the GE Glyptol has stood the test of time for me. Again, I spend a fair amount of time prepping.

3) The Glyptol absolutley aids in drain back. I dont think its a life or death situation, but there is no doubt that oil can drain back faster off its surface. Again, thats why I bake it, its glossier that way. The biggest advantage is sealing up the metal. Cast iron bleeds crap out of it constantly, so when its sealed, the engines stay much cleaner. I do it so that when engines come in for freshening, they are so much easier to clean in between rebuilds. A quick jet wash and the usual hand wash afterwards and they are set. No flash rusting, no mess, just blow them dry.

4) I disagree with the " do not use spray can" theory. I have used the Glyptol spray cans in many applications, ( not just for sealing up blocks, it has many other functional uses in the engine). Glptol actually makes 3 different formualtions of their products. Typically you'll only find one available from "retail". There are other mixes for specific applications as well.

Everyone has their own take on this, another Moparts topic that will get many "opinions"

I do what works for me. The main thing is the block/heads have to be clean and dry, and DONT be in a hurry.

My

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.
Re: Painting the valley on bb Mopar ? [Re: CompWedgeEngines] #189419
01/11/09 11:33 AM
01/11/09 11:33 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

1) Eastwoods version IS Glyptol, there is no difference other than Eastwood wacks you a small fortune for it. It can be bought elsewhere much cheaper.

2) As mentioned by everyone, clean...clean..clean is the key. I use a lot of it and as long as you spend the time cleaning it, it works fine. I too like to heat the block. I use a radiant propane heater for final preparation and it works well. After the Glyptol has dried for a while, I bake it on. Works much better. I have never used the Rustoleum, some seem to like it. I simply know the GE Glyptol has stood the test of time for me. Again, I spend a fair amount of time prepping.

3) The Glyptol absolutley aids in drain back. I dont think its a life or death situation, but there is no doubt that oil can drain back faster off its surface. Again, thats why I bake it, its glossier that way. The biggest advantage is sealing up the metal. Cast iron bleeds crap out of it constantly, so when its sealed, the engines stay much cleaner. I do it so that when engines come in for freshening, they are so much easier to clean in between rebuilds. A quick jet wash and the usual hand wash afterwards and they are set. No flash rusting, no mess, just blow them dry.

4) I disagree with the " do not use spray can" theory. I have used the Glyptol spray cans in many applications, ( not just for sealing up blocks, it has many other functional uses in the engine). Glptol actually makes 3 different formualtions of their products. Typically you'll only find one available from "retail". There are other mixes for specific applications as well.

Everyone has their own take on this, another Moparts topic that will get many "opinions"

I do what works for me. The main thing is the block/heads have to be clean and dry, and DONT be in a hurry.

My

Well put..

Here is my take on it. I don't do it. Not because I think the benefit isn't there, but I had an experience some time back with a Chevrolet motor and since then haven't had the desire to do it.

This particular motor(race BBC) was built by a reputable shop and had come to me for oil pressure problems. When I took it apart, it was clear what the issue was. The paint used peeled off in chunks, blocking the oil pump pickup screen. The stuff was stringy and tacky and made a huge mess. Frankly I was surprised oil drained out of the pan as it was all over the bottom of the pan. That was many years ago and I have been gun shy about it since then. My feeling is that even if you do everything right, I suppose there is still a chance that the product itself can be defective. So I just didn't wnat to take the chance. I do however spend a lot of time with, block prep via mechanical means(polishing/ deburring) and drainback and oil control as I believe that it is an essential part of any performance engine build.

MB

Re: Painting the valley on bb Mopar ? [Re: HPMike] #189420
01/11/09 12:05 PM
01/11/09 12:05 PM
Syracuse,NY
CompWedgeEngines Offline
master
CompWedgeEngines  Offline
master

Syracuse,NY
Hey Mike,

I think that that Chevy probably wasnt prepped well. usulally that is exactly how it reacts when oil is underneath it. That is definately the liability to doing it. However, if they had done it right ( you already know that) it wouldnt have happened. With all that said, the Glyptol DOES have a definate shelf life. The engineers there will tell you its approximately 2 years, IF it has been sealed well. So it is possible they had some old product etc.

Damn Chebbies.

I'll try and call you this week to say hey anyhow. Hope all is well.

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.