B
belv2vert66 Offline OP
pro stock
belv2vert66  Offline OP
pro stock
B

Back In Iowa
Hey Everybody.

I am giving up and installing a GM automatic trans in my Mopar. Specifically the 4L60E into my 65 Newport. The car has a 383 bored and stroked to 496 with 3:55 gears. It is unbelievably fun but just too harsh out on the interstate. My question is I can't decide between Silver Sport or TCI. Both build automatic transmissions that will handle my torque and hp. The TCI uses a mid plate (I am told) to mount it to the Chrysler block. Silver Sport uses a JW (?) bell. The TCI appears to be quite a bit cheaper but not sure I like the idea of the mid plate (adaptor). Has anybody else had to make this decision ? what are the pros and cons of each ?

Also, how are people shifting these things ? I really want to keep my original column but it is the hybrid column shift with cables to the trans.

Thanks !

Re: Silver Sport or TCI for 4L60 E Overdrive ? [Re: belv2vert66] #1814754
04/29/15 07:47 PM
04/29/15 07:47 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
I can't speak for the TCI unit, but the Silver Sport (formerly Keisler Engineering)unit I have installed, very straight forward install, .070 OD ratio, the 4L60E's overall profile is slightly smaller than that of a 727 so no trans tunnel mods needed, the factory kick down linkage is eliminated and replaced with a TV (throttle valve) cable, the transmission cooling lines (supplied braided SS) are now on the passenger side of the transmission, you combine them to your factory lines to complete the install, there is a module that needs to be wired to the transmission, very simple....I don't know if Silver Sport is offering any updated modules with dash control to tailor on the fly shift points, lock up, etc?...the stock program module with require a laptop interface if you desire to change the preprogramed performance settings...the install kits address the mods needed for console or column shifters (but check with Silver Sport before you purchase to check your application) you can retain your stock shifter set up for a "stock" look for most Mopar application, the kit is pretty much complete from bellhousing to driveshaft, and everything needed between, it's about a 4 hr install for the experienced mechanic

I'd recommend you talk to Jeff Kaufmann at Silver Sport for any questions about your application/needs, he's straight forward, no BS, if he can help you, he will

Mike