Z
zrxkawboy Offline
super stock
zrxkawboy  Offline
super stock
Z

SD
Quote:

And all I can do i hope that they care enough about it not coming back to do it right. I realize in their mind they're trying to get it out with loosing as little money as possible and yes, they will try to cut corners.

Sorry, but I don't see this shop doing it right. Look how bad they bungled it the first time, when they were being paid. The second time around, when they're doing it on their dime...

It's Swifty! Swifty, you toad sucker!
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: zrxkawboy] #1780042
03/17/15 02:40 AM
03/17/15 02:40 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
I guess what I would do then is pull the pan and inspect some of the bearings to see what they look like. If they don't look like new take them down to the machine shop and have them look at them or take pictures of the crank and bearing surface. With those miles they should look new, no scratches or wear.If it looks bad , call a tow truck and deliver it to them.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: zrxkawboy] #1780043
03/17/15 02:50 AM
03/17/15 02:50 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I have several thoughts about this but not enough time to post. I will say try to get as much back from him without going to court. Use that money to buy a junkyard mill and hope for the best while you find a real machine shop. Not sure how this one has stayed open. maybe a front for drug operation/money laundering.

I want my fair share
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: gdonovan] #1780044
03/17/15 09:10 AM
03/17/15 09:10 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Quote:

My advice? Pull it.

Usually when something like this happens there is never a happy ending. Bite the bullet and yank it out and investigate.

I couldn't agree more. We can try to bench race this to death but until a main and rod cap gets pulled, nobody is going to know what is going on. As others have mentioned, the amount of brass in the filter and the minimal wear on the intermediate shaft bushing points to a bearing problem. There is no doubt in my mind the bearings are toast. Why? Again, won't know until it's torn down and even then the cause may not be obvious. It's like looking at a catastrophic overspeed failure, what went first? Who knows.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: 6PakBee] #1780045
03/17/15 12:59 PM
03/17/15 12:59 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Just me, what I would do is let them do it over. The threat of legal action likely will force them to do it right but I would not go that route up front. I would assume they have the knowledge to go it correctly but they put a newbie on it for some reason & pretty much fubared the rebuild or something (its hard to second guess peoples' motives). You do not have the money or time or desire to take it somwhere else. I would give them the chance to rectify it & very likely you will get a meticulous job this time (their a$$ is on the line). From what I have observed locally small claims court/lawyers/lawsuits take forever & cost more in time/anquish & still hard to get your money (small claims court) & is a good plan only in some cases. I've heard that alot of dealerships even have a percentage number for the number of comebacks they anticipate having to correct in a fiscal year & how much that will cost them. Most customers dont stand up for themselves & if you are one of the ones that do they will (very) likely take care of you. Firm/no shouting constant regular pressure is the key. cool/calm/regular contact/firm/non threatening insistance. You're an actor and you have a part to play. Good luck with it & post how it turns out. On a side note what I have seen that works in severe cases is an ad in the paper badmouthing their service/parking a lemon car in front of their dealership/demonstrating with a sign in front of their business on the sidewalk (demonstration? permit may be required) . Good luck bro

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780046
03/17/15 03:42 PM
03/17/15 03:42 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
I think you have been beat up enough over not going back to them.

I understand you are in a pinch and have to.

I suggest that after they get it back to you Do the following.

1. Rotate the crank and check for binding before you do anything else.

2. Pop at least 1 main (preferably all) and a rod (Preferably all) and use plastigauge to check clearances. I know platiguage isn't the preferred method but it will be good as a secondary checking tool.

3. Check crankshaft endplay.

4. Take a rocker arm off and check for any brass remnants in the shaft and the arms.

5. Disassemble the oil pump and check for brass filings

6. Meticulously clean or preferable replace the pickup.

All that should take about an hour or two.

In a perfect world I would pull the cam and check those bearing but that is an extra hour or two.

If anything is wrong fix it or get them to fix it before break in. A couple hours may save yourself a lot of time and effort in the long run.

Again I hope it goes well and they make it right and this thread was just unnecessary stress.

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: IMGTX] #1780047
03/17/15 04:09 PM
03/17/15 04:09 PM
Western Md.
skicker Offline
"The Champ"
skicker  Offline
"The Champ"

Western Md.
Keep the info you've learned to yourself when talking to the machine shop. Let them figure out what went wrong. In all honesty they may work with you and they may not. Trying to sue and threaten a civil case will just muddy the waters and you will spend more than $1400.00 anyway. Then there's the hassle and the BS. of he said...he said in court. If your time is worth anything pick-up another motor and put it in while you try and workout what's wrong with this one.

In todays society you might as well roll over and play dead...40 years ago he would have taken an a$$ whippin for what's been done. Gee isn't society so much better...

...FAFO...
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: skicker] #1780048
03/17/15 04:38 PM
03/17/15 04:38 PM
San Diego
Instigate Offline OP
Instigate  Offline OP

San Diego
Quote:

Keep the info you've learned to yourself when talking to the machine shop. Let them figure out what went wrong. In all honesty they may work with you and they may not. Trying to sue and threaten a civil case will just muddy the waters and you will spend more than $1400.00 anyway. Then there's the hassle and the BS. of he said...he said in court. If your time is worth anything pick-up another motor and put it in while you try and workout what's wrong with this one.

In todays society you might as well roll over and play dead...40 years ago he would have taken an a$$ whippin for what's been done. Gee isn't society so much better...

I wouldn't waste my time with a civil case. Costs more, takes more time, and I would be looking at getting a lawyer to help with all the bs. But I've been in small claims before and it's cheap, fast and I represent myself. It's only a $30 filing fee for anything under $1500.

Quote:

Just me, what I would do is let them do it over. The threat of legal action likely will force them to do it right but I would not go that route up front. I would assume they have the knowledge to go it correctly but they put a newbie on it for some reason & pretty much fubared the rebuild or something (its hard to second guess peoples' motives). You do not have the money or time or desire to take it somwhere else. I would give them the chance to rectify it & very likely you will get a meticulous job this time (their a$$ is on the line). From what I have observed locally small claims court/lawyers/lawsuits take forever & cost more in time/anquish & still hard to get your money (small claims court) & is a good plan only in some cases. I've heard that alot of dealerships even have a percentage number for the number of comebacks they anticipate having to correct in a fiscal year & how much that will cost them. Most customers dont stand up for themselves & if you are one of the ones that do they will (very) likely take care of you. Firm/no shouting constant regular pressure is the key. cool/calm/regular contact/firm/non threatening insistance. You're an actor and you have a part to play. Good luck with it & post how it turns out. On a side note what I have seen that works in severe cases is an ad in the paper badmouthing their service/parking a lemon car in front of their dealership/demonstrating with a sign in front of their business on the sidewalk (demonstration? permit may be required) . Good luck bro

For sure. I haven't said a word about small claims to them and I wouldn't until I was sure I would have to go that route. I've won in small claims before and I realize it can be difficult to get the money you have been awarded. I won against a person I was renting a room from for my deposit. I won, but I never got the money. But that is my own fault. I just never went back to the courhouse to file the needed paperwork to get the person's wages garnished.

Last edited by Instigate; 03/17/15 04:38 PM.
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780049
03/17/15 08:01 PM
03/17/15 08:01 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

For sure. I haven't said a word about small claims to them and I wouldn't until I was sure I would have to go that route. I've won in small claims before and I realize it can be difficult to get the money you have been awarded. I won against a person I was renting a room from for my deposit. I won, but I never got the money. But that is my own fault. I just never went back to the courhouse to file the needed paperwork to get the person's wages garnished.

Hmm, funny how states do things different. When my daughter went into the Army she sold off a bunch of stuff. Part of it was to a coworker, her manager, who ended up welching on paying. Wife had the power of attorney, took her to court, won, filed the paper for the sheriff to come collect. Sheriff simply collected enough items to auction off for enough to pay the debt.

All she had to do was pay what she owed us, but ended up paying that, court fees, sheriff;'s fees and lost big time.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Supercuda] #1780050
03/17/15 08:23 PM
03/17/15 08:23 PM
San Diego
Instigate Offline OP
Instigate  Offline OP

San Diego
Quote:

Quote:

Hmm, funny how states do things different. When my daughter went into the Army she sold off a bunch of stuff. Part of it was to a coworker, her manager, who ended up welching on paying. Wife had the power of attorney, took her to court, won, filed the paper for the sheriff to come collect. Sheriff simply collected enough items to auction off for enough to pay the debt.

All she had to do was pay what she owed us, but ended up paying that, court fees, sheriff;'s fees and lost big time.

OMG that's crazy. I haven't heard of that kind of thing going on here. As far as I know police only take property like that in drug related cases around here. But I recently heard that they're not allowed to do asset forfeiture anymore.

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780051
03/17/15 08:31 PM
03/17/15 08:31 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Well, there is a more involved and detailed process to get to that point, which we had to go thru. But ultimately, we got our money and the deadbeat may have learned a lesson. If you are interested here's a link to the process, it's a 171 page .pdf of the rules and process.

http://www.txsheriffs.org/content/CP_Manual.pdf

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780052
03/18/15 08:08 AM
03/18/15 08:08 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
With the amount of debris I see in the filter - the engine is hurt, and not going to "fix" itself and needs to come out for repair.

The damage could have started at the intermediate shaft bushing, from debris in the oiling system, a nicked crank, etc. and carried through the system. And realistically, if the old motor failed from spun bearings, there could have been that much debris left in the oiling passages if they didn't properly hot tank and prep the block. Might be hard to pinpoint the root cause at this point.

I understand being on a budget, and this isn't intended to be insulting, but I keep reading about the engine being "rebuilt" for $1400 - I'm curious about what "rebuilt" means at that shop.

Reason I say that is in this area - Southern Mi - you wouldn't get an engine torn down, rebuilt, and assembled (even wrong LOL) for anywhere near $1400. For $1400 you wouldn't get any real MACHINE work done - you might get a basic hot tank, ball hone, and the rings, bearings, timing chain, oil pump and gaskets replaced job, along with the valves and seats ground, etc. But that is far from being "rebuilt". It surely WOULDN'T INCLUDE - boring cylinders, new pistons, align honing, reconditioning rods, grinding crank, deck/head milling, valve guide work, thread cleaning/repair, crack detection, etc. - the things that are usually expected to be done if an engine is getting a quality rebuild.

I hope you can get the "vendor" to step up and make their work right, because you should be able to get a sealed up and functioning engine back for $1400, assuming no hard parts were broken in the core engine, and no real "machine" work was needed.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Evil Spirit] #1780053
03/18/15 05:21 PM
03/18/15 05:21 PM
San Diego
Instigate Offline OP
Instigate  Offline OP

San Diego
Quote:

With the amount of debris I see in the filter - the engine is hurt, and not going to "fix" itself and needs to come out for repair.

The damage could have started at the intermediate shaft bushing, from debris in the oiling system, a nicked crank, etc. and carried through the system. And realistically, if the old motor failed from spun bearings, there could have been that much debris left in the oiling passages if they didn't properly hot tank and prep the block. Might be hard to pinpoint the root cause at this point.

I understand being on a budget, and this isn't intended to be insulting, but I keep reading about the engine being "rebuilt" for $1400 - I'm curious about what "rebuilt" means at that shop.

Reason I say that is in this area - Southern Mi - you wouldn't get an engine torn down, rebuilt, and assembled (even wrong LOL) for anywhere near $1400. For $1400 you wouldn't get any real MACHINE work done - you might get a basic hot tank, ball hone, and the rings, bearings, timing chain, oil pump and gaskets replaced job, along with the valves and seats ground, etc. But that is far from being "rebuilt". It surely WOULDN'T INCLUDE - boring cylinders, new pistons, align honing, reconditioning rods, grinding crank, deck/head milling, valve guide work, thread cleaning/repair, crack detection, etc. - the things that are usually expected to be done if an engine is getting a quality rebuild.

I hope you can get the "vendor" to step up and make their work right, because you should be able to get a sealed up and functioning engine back for $1400, assuming no hard parts were broken in the core engine, and no real "machine" work was needed.

I got several quotes for long block rebuilds and they were all between $1400-$2000. I was told it was going to be a full rebuild. I was not given specifics. And my receipt doesn't have a detailed parts list. Which is in violation of the Automotive Repair Act so besides small claims I could have the Bureau of Automotive Repair on them.

The old motor didn't fail from a spun bearing, it's cam lift was way under spec and when I opened it up to put a new cam in I decided to just have it rebuilt. Had 300,000 miles on it. I didn't want to put the cam in it then need to have the lower end dealt with who knows when. Seems now I would have been better off just putting a cam and lifters in and call it good. But all I can do now is try to correct this situation I'm in. I know you're right in thinking they cut corners to give a cheap price. I noticed that they failed to chase some of the threads on the heads. So ya, I'm concerned about that but like Robert said their ass is on the line to do it right this time.

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780054
03/20/15 09:17 AM
03/20/15 09:17 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Quote:

...... their ass is on the line to do it right this time.

Hmm. It's been my experience that the only way a poor marksman hits the bullseye is by sheer luck. And that only after a number of failed attempts.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780055
03/20/15 08:51 PM
03/20/15 08:51 PM
Lost and Spaced
B
bboogieart Offline
master
bboogieart  Offline
master
B

Lost and Spaced
I have been waiting for someone to mention the price.
Seemed way low to me.
On the thought of them telling you to just run it.
I'm leaning towards a voided warrenty.
They will just deny telling you that.
I wouldn't trust that shop with my lawn mower.
Here's wishing for the best.

I have mechanical Aptitude.
I can screw up anything.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4