03/02/15 07:00 PM
03/02/15 07:00 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
i have the mopar rear springs on my car, and they have sagged over time. i'm going to order eaton springs, but i want to figure out what i need to order to get the correct stance that i want.

if you look in my sig picture, that is the car with the stock mopar hemi springs, and 28" tall tires. the measurement from the ground to the wheel well is about 25". i think my front end sits a little lower than normal, which helps the stance.

right now, again with 28" tires, the measurement at the wheel well is 24". i jacked the rear end up to 25", and that is what i want. 26" was too much.

so the question is, will stock height springs, plus my 28" tires put the car back where it was, or do i need an extra inch of arch?

i'm assuming that since the stock mopar springs put the rear where i wanted it, that stock eaton springs will do the same, but want to make sure. that's an expensive mistake to make.

Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: mickm] #1769394
03/02/15 08:00 PM
03/02/15 08:00 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Since the springs ain't new & have sagged over time I'm thinking it'd gonna be hard to get a baseline anywhere to start from. What I'd do is remove the springs and set em on the ground (reversed) & measure the arch from the nub bolt down to the concrete the order ones with an additional inch of arch & maybe another inch if there is a possibility of them sinking a bit right off the bat when new (ask them). Downside would be the car would be up on stands for awhile unless you immed reinstalled em after measuring. If it ends up being a bit too tall with 2" then you could redrill the side to side holes in the front perches higher and possibly raising the rear shackle or shortening the 2 vertical bars. Nothing definite but here's a BTT for ya

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: RapidRobert] #1769395
03/02/15 10:32 PM
03/02/15 10:32 PM
Detroit
T
TX91971 Offline
TX91971  Offline
T

Detroit
First off I would not raise the car as it will not handle like it does now. We have a local spring shop that rebuilds your original springs they re arch them to factory or where you want them to be. They have a spec book about 6 inches thick with every car and truck that was made with leaf springs. They look up the factory specs and go from there. good luck

Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: mickm] #1769396
03/02/15 11:26 PM
03/02/15 11:26 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
The problem you're going to have is that all springs, leaf,coil,or torsion bar will sag or take a set after they are installed and have a load placed on them. Coils can be shimmed, and torsion bars can of course be readjusted. The difference between good springs ie. ones that are well,designed and have good quality control over the metallurgy and the heat treat and lesser ones is that the good ones won't sag much and once they have taken their initial set they will hold it for quite a long time. Poor springs sag more and then continue to do so, albeit at a reduced rate. So first you have to be sure of the quality and then allow for a certain amount of sag in the first few months of service. There is also the option of keeping your present springs and replacing the front spring hangers with custom ones that have different mounting positions. The straight super stock hangers can be redrilled for this purpose. They also have the virtue of being much stronger than the production hangers. Changing the front spring eye location from stock will change the anti-squat percentage, but that may actually work in your favor. Good luck whichever way you go.

Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: mickm] #1769397
03/03/15 01:10 AM
03/03/15 01:10 AM
MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
E
ek3 Offline
top fuel
ek3  Offline
top fuel
E

MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
get a set of stock height + 1 inch springs. if they are not high enough , you simply put them in a press and add some arch at the {rear} of the spring eye . do this cold . measure the free standing arch first and then bend to your desired height + 1/8 ". if they come to high ,reverse the direction in your press. you can re-arch a full set of springs in a -big- press . I would suggest you change height by the first method as small changes at the eye will have quick effects to ride height. a hi quality spring will keep its arch much better but, they all are subject to loss of some arch from hard use. I have never had any issues in 35 + years as a result from this method..

Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: mickm] #1769398
03/03/15 10:52 AM
03/03/15 10:52 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
You need to know two and preferably three things besides the current height.
Spring rate of existing springs.
Free arch of existing springs.
Weight on the springs.

Then you can spec the free arch for a spring if know its rate and get close to the same ride height you are targeting.

Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: mickm] #1769399
03/03/15 12:05 PM
03/03/15 12:05 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
I have never see a factory spec on ride height in the FSM I've looked through, so duplicating it isn't easy. However, I think I came across a factory document on it once on the Hamtramck Historical site once. I've not been able to find it recently though.

Like Mattax said, determine those three things and you can have a custom set made to do exactly what you want.

Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: Mattax] #1769400
03/03/15 01:54 PM
03/03/15 01:54 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

Weight on the springs.

Then you can spec the free arch for a spring if know its rate and get close to the same ride height you are targeting.

so where do i get all that info from? weight i assume i can get an approximation by weighing the back end of the car? just the rear wheels on a scale?

Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: mickm] #1769401
03/03/15 02:47 PM
03/03/15 02:47 PM
Columbia, Missouri
D
dtedler Offline
dtedler  Offline
D

Columbia, Missouri
Here is what I did with my Challenger. I was in the very same situation that you are. What is the "Stock" ride height at a given point? No answers. Since I was replacing everything from the hangers to the pivot brackets in front I decided to go with the +1 springs (I know they sag over time) and AR Engineerings (purchase from Mancini) spring pivot brackets that allow you to adjust the ride height. If I didn't like where it was setting - I figured that I could adjust it down if I needed to. I ended up with a perfect ride height with the +1 and the stock location on the pivot brackets. Best of luck to you!

Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: dtedler] #1769402
03/03/15 04:11 PM
03/03/15 04:11 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

Here is what I did with my Challenger. I was in the very same situation that you are. What is the "Stock" ride height at a given point? No answers. Since I was replacing everything from the hangers to the pivot brackets in front I decided to go with the +1 springs (I know they sag over time) and AR Engineerings (purchase from Mancini) spring pivot brackets that allow you to adjust the ride height. If I didn't like where it was setting - I figured that I could adjust it down if I needed to. I ended up with a perfect ride height with the +1 and the stock location on the pivot brackets. Best of luck to you!

thanks for the input, i may end up doing something like that. you are the second person to say they got the +1

as i stated earlier, i just have to assume that mopar springs and a 28" tall tire gave my car the stance i like.

if i get new eaton springs that are stock specs, that SHOULD give me the same height. but the only way i will know is to try.

i know there is no science to this, but wanted to get people's experience with this.

Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: mickm] #1769403
03/04/15 01:15 PM
03/04/15 01:15 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Yes. Rear wheels on the scale will be close. Obviously the springs don't carry the weight of the wheels and axle, so if you want to go the extra step, you can subtract them.

Existing spring rate. Load spring with known weight and measure the deflection. wt/distance = rate
This is close enough for your purpose, especially for determining static ride height. An arched multi-leaf pack will have some on-linear characteristics, but not important here.
You need something that weighs at least 100 lbs! Be careful when you step off the arch, some friends of mine have been tossed as the weight shifts and the spring springs back.

The only ride heights I've seen in an FSM is the front end setting for the LCA. Like TC I've seen an old factory paper somewhere on the 'net, maybe the Hamtramck website, listing body heights. Considering what you're doing with the rear wheels, not sure this would be useful in anyway. One potential issue with the rear chassis higher, be it be wheel diameter or other methods, is getting positive caster. Factory caster specs were pretty conservative, like +1 degree, so you'll probaby be OK. Just a heads up on that, and also watch the pinion angle.

Stengle Bros springs carries Stanley - another US made spring to consider. Stanley just don't have many retailers with on-line info (other than Stengle Bros). Arch and length dimensions are all there. In addition to the factors Supercuda mentioned, leaf thickness along with the shape and placement of the front end of the leaves also plays a role in durability. Engineers are taught to design springs for 1 million cycles. So if properly designed and made, they should not noticibley lose shape under normal loads and deflections until they've been through 1000s of cycles. Of course the aftermarket doesn't always make things that way. Also, with a multi-leaf, there is hysterisis between the leaves and in the bushings - a car sitting higher initially can be in part due to this as well.

Quote:

Quote:

Weight on the springs.

so where do i get all that info from? weight i assume i can get an approximation by weighing the back end of the car? just the rear wheels on a scale?

Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: mickm] #1769404
03/04/15 07:32 PM
03/04/15 07:32 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
Overall I think you've gotten some good advice. In order to keep it simple I suggest that if you were happy with the way the car sat when the springs were new, just measure your existing springs and order new ones with 1.5-2 inches more arch. Since the modulus of elasticity of spring steel is all pretty much the same, if you order springs that have same number of leaves and are the same length,thickness and width as the originals the spring rate will be the same. The extra arch will restore the ride height. It may take six months or so depending on how much you drive the car for it to settle to the level you're happy with. It's a safe bet that it will settle some so you want enough extra arch to start with to allow for that. IMO it would be better to have it sit just a little high since you can always use a small lowering block if necessary, but if you don't get enough arch to start with you'll be right back where you are now and be out the price of the new springs.

Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: 5spdcuda] #1769405
03/05/15 01:13 AM
03/05/15 01:13 AM
Indiana
68_661charger Offline
super stock
68_661charger  Offline
super stock

Indiana
I used the Eaton + 1 many years ago on a 68 charger and it was pretty much where I wanted it. Maybe a bit on the high side but I figured it would sag eventually. Never seemed like it did but that was ok. I remember thinking a plus 2 would have been way too much.

Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: 5spdcuda] #1769406
03/05/15 04:23 PM
03/05/15 04:23 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

Overall I think you've gotten some good advice. In order to keep it simple I suggest that if you were happy with the way the car sat when the springs were new, just measure your existing springs and order new ones with 1.5-2 inches more arch. Since the modulus of elasticity of spring steel is all pretty much the same, if you order springs that have same number of leaves and are the same length,thickness and width as the originals the spring rate will be the same. The extra arch will restore the ride height. It may take six months or so depending on how much you drive the car for it to settle to the level you're happy with. It's a safe bet that it will settle some so you want enough extra arch to start with to allow for that. IMO it would be better to have it sit just a little high since you can always use a small lowering block if necessary, but if you don't get enough arch to start with you'll be right back where you are now and be out the price of the new springs.

ok, so how do i figure out that arch on the old spring? just lay it out on a flat surface and measure the distance from the surface to the first spring?

and yes, i agree, too high is probably better.

Re: determining leaf spring height [Re: mickm] #1769407
03/05/15 08:17 PM
03/05/15 08:17 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
Sorry I left out how to measure the existing arch, but you've got it right. Put it on the floor with middle of the spring up and measure from the floor to the main leaf. Once you get your new springs my previous comments regarding the use of a multi hole front spring hanger still apply in case the car sits either higher or lower than you want it to. I have them on my 'Cuda. I simply had my machine shop drill extra holes in a set of extended super stock spring hangers. You can do it yourself at home if you measure carefully and have a drill press and some big bits.