02/22/15 12:16 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

The voltage regulator needs a positive ground.

While I agree with your post, just a note, "a positive ground" in this case DOES NOT mean to ground the positive terminal on the battery.

What it means is a good, solid, clean path to ground.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: Supercuda] #1717540
02/22/15 12:48 PM
02/22/15 12:48 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:

Quote:

While I agree with your post, just a note, "a positive ground" in this case DOES NOT mean to ground the positive terminal on the battery.

Wow I didn't mean to set off a firestorm here. I was originally curious as to if a dying battery would just show the constant charge which ended up being the case. My ammeter is DEAD center now with the new battery.

I am very familiar with the charging system of this car. All grounds are super good as I added a dedicated jumper from the regulator case to the engine ground strap. Voltage drop measured from regulator case to alternator case is just a few mV...my gauge shows 0 ohms. The only resistance I see is from one end of the negative batt cable to the other. When I wiggled it the resistance changed and so did the charging voltage (dropped).

My wiring is all MH reproduction harness including the bulkhead connectors. I packed them in dielectric grease so no corrosion at all.

I just wanted to report back and let you know what the problem was instead of disappearing like so many here do. Maybe somebody else can reference this thread now and fix their mess more easily.

Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: cjskotni] #1717541
02/22/15 02:31 PM
02/22/15 02:31 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

My wiring is all MH reproduction harness including the bulkhead connectors. I packed them in dielectric grease so no corrosion at all.

I just wanted to report back and let you know what the problem was instead of disappearing like so many here do. Maybe somebody else can reference this thread now and fix their mess more easily.

Good job

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: RapidRobert] #1717542
02/22/15 04:55 PM
02/22/15 04:55 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Quote:

Quote:

Good job

X2

Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: DDodger] #1717543
02/22/15 10:32 PM
02/22/15 10:32 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I check my charging voltage and it is closer to 14.9V which is higher than I'd like. I traced the voltage drop to the neg battery cable itself which read ~2.5 ohms.

That is ONE HELL of a lot of resistance if correct.

But don't try to shoot bad grounds and voltage drop with resistance, do so with voltage tests

Just picture in your mind the path that current takes. "th juice" going to the regulator comes off the battery, through the bulkhead and ammeter, through the ignition switch, harness, etc, back out the bulkhead and feeds to the regulator

There are a couple of places, there, namely the bulkhead connector, the ignition switch and the connector on the switch, that can create drop

Turn the key to "run" but with the engine not running

If you have breaker points ignition, make sure the points are closed, and make the test rapidly

Compare battery voltage to voltage feeding the regulator. On a 69 and earlier regulator check right at the regulator ignition terminal

On 70 and later this is harder. you can check at the blue field on the alternator. If you can get to the "key" side of the coil ballast, check there

What you are looking for here is the difference between battery and that point feeding the regulator. You want less, that is "zero" is perfect. If you come up with more than, say 3/10 of one volt, find out why.

Same with ground only this time, check with engine running fast enough to charge. Put your voltmeter on very low DC volts. Stick one lead to the battery NEG post. Stick the other lead to the regulator mounting, "the case." Here again, zero volts is perfect. Anything more than a 1/10 volt or so, you need to work on grounding.

Back to your neg cable. Here again, best way to check cables "bad" or not is under starting current loads. This is made easy with access to a "load tester." But you can "cheat" by just running the starter, ignition grounded. Check voltage across the cables during cranking.

The voltage from the battery leaves it on the negative side just like all batteries and returns through the positive side, the alternator charges from the alternator through the engine wiring harness to the bulkhead connector and then through the under dash wiring harness through the amp gauge and back through the same harness and then goes to the battery to keep it charged. Come on you guys, GET THE BASICS correct before intentionally or unintentionally misleading those that don't know D.C. current flow

you can take your two cents and you can go stick it somewhere

i simply IN SIMPLE TERMS described the CURRENT PATH. the PATH that the current takes, JUST ENOUGH of the description to ILLUSTRATE THE POINT which is the "direction" in which most people probably "think."

It matters not, oh engineering xpert, "which way" the current flows, and by the way, it wasn't all that long ago (in the 20's) when people believed there was "current" going from plus to minus.

I WAS ATTEMPTING TO ILLUSTRATE IN NOT TOO TECHNICAL TERMS how voltage drop occurs. The probability is, if someone is wondering what the drop is "doing" that they will be measuring and troubleshooting "from the positive end" of the system rather than the "ground" end. That is all I was trying to illustrate. THE WAY THAT VOLTAGE DROP HAPPENS

NOW I NOTICE that YOU the ENGINEERING XPERT "did not" attempt to illustrate anything helpful, anything factual, anything concrete. I notice that you made NO helpful contribution AT ALL.

You did not suggest, for example, that the voltage regulator must be held that is "grounded" very very close to the battery NEG and therefore to remove, clean, and retighten the VR mounting bolts. I notice you DID NOT suggest, as an example, to examine and to check the VR connector(s) and to be sure they are clean and tight. I further notice, as yet a further example, that you did not suggest how to functionally go through the checks for bulkhead, ignition switch, and it's related connector. I NOTICE that you did not SUGGEST ANY of this.

Don't you feel "helpful?"

"I'd bet money" I've been involved with things electrical and electronic longer than you. Statistically, it's "bettable."

In hindsight I probaly should have used either Supercuda or TJP post to illustrate that in my opinion they don't understand D.C. Current flow. This post was not intended to put you down in anyway, UNDESTOOD Your posts was the next one available to respond to Now as far as your knowledge in electricity and trouble shooting as well as helping and leading people I think your responce tells me all I need to know about you and your skill sets As far as who has worked with electricity longer I started working for a telephone company in 1964 as a aprrentice lineman, I transfered into installation and maintenance 18 months later and did that work for 16 yrs before being promoted into management. I started taking classes at the local Jr college in 1968 and ended up having to stop from 1975 to 1981 due to the heavy work schedlue and overtime needs of the company. I finally recieved a A.S. degree in electronics in January of 1984, I did that to improve my knowledge of electricity and all things in electronic to help me transition from the transitors and resitor world to the solid state and semi conductor world. No offence meant or intended to you, SIR
What say you now?

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: Cab_Burge] #1717544
02/22/15 11:15 PM
02/22/15 11:15 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Cab old buddy, I'll put my knowledge of DC theory up against your 13 year old girlie emoticons any day.

I have not said anything that isn't true in my posts. You think different, well you know what they say the first thing to go is.

Don't be the exception.
Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: Supercuda] #1717545
02/23/15 12:05 AM
02/23/15 12:05 AM
McGregor,Iowa 52157
500ciDuster Offline
top fuel
500ciDuster  Offline
top fuel

McGregor,Iowa 52157
The sensitivity on those gauges vary from year to year and make and model, some of needles in my mid 80's trucks wouldn't even move but I had a 1968 Dart that the needle was always flopping all over the place especially with a turn signal on

Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: Supercuda] #1717546
02/23/15 02:30 AM
02/23/15 02:30 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Cab old buddy, I'll put my knowledge of DC theory up against your 13 year old girlie emoticons any day.

I have not said anything that isn't true in my posts. You think different, well you know what they say the first thing to go is.

Speaking of focus, what is it with you and 13 yr old girls

Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: 500ciDuster] #1717547
02/23/15 04:18 PM
02/23/15 04:18 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:

The sensitivity on those gauges vary from year to year and make and model, some of needles in my mid 80's trucks wouldn't even move but I had a 1968 Dart that the needle was always flopping all over the place especially with a turn signal on

I had my gauges professionally done by Instrument Specialties but I have found that the gauge ranges from around -40amps (discharge) to 40 amps (charge). Everything in between should be pretty linear.

If your needle is bouncing when the blinker is on, that means your alternator isn't keeping up and you have steep charge/discharge cycle every time the blinker blinks. I'd be willing to bet if you revved the motor a bit with the blinker on, the bouncing needle would go away.

Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: cjskotni] #1717548
02/23/15 11:44 PM
02/23/15 11:44 PM
McGregor,Iowa 52157
500ciDuster Offline
top fuel
500ciDuster  Offline
top fuel

McGregor,Iowa 52157
Naw it didn't matter if if was revving or idle it was just a flopper, its long gone

Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: Cab_Burge] #1717549
02/23/15 11:46 PM
02/23/15 11:46 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

Quote:

You emote like one, it's damned annoying.

Don't be the exception.
Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: 500ciDuster] #1717550
02/23/15 11:48 PM
02/23/15 11:48 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

The 68 Dart had a mechanical voltage regulator, it flops as a somewhat normal course of it's operation. You can adjust them to cure most of it but there is usually a slight amount. That's why the electronic version of that style regulator is popular. The later type, such as the 80's trucks had, does not do that, normally.

Don't be the exception.
Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: cjskotni] #1717551
02/27/15 07:42 PM
02/27/15 07:42 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow I didn't mean to set off a firestorm here. I was originally curious as to if a dying battery would just show the constant charge which ended up being the case. My ammeter is DEAD center now with the new battery.

I am very familiar with the charging system of this car. All grounds are super good as I added a dedicated jumper from the regulator case to the engine ground strap. Voltage drop measured from regulator case to alternator case is just a few mV...my gauge shows 0 ohms. The only resistance I see is from one end of the negative batt cable to the other. When I wiggled it the resistance changed and so did the charging voltage (dropped).

Replaced negative battery cable, now charging at 14.6V. 22mV drop from VR case to negative battery terminal.

Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: cjskotni] #1717552
02/28/15 11:19 AM
02/28/15 11:19 AM
Palmyra, NY
63stabamatic Offline
enthusiast
63stabamatic  Offline
enthusiast

Palmyra, NY
The slight charge says the battery is getting old. On three different stock Mopars, 69 and 70 year the Ammeter would always sit right in the center. On the 70 Roadrunner the Ammeter started showing about 2 needle-widths to the right, the battery was getting weaker, it was about 4 or 5 years old. Replaced the battery and it went back to the center again.

Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: Supercuda] #1717553
02/28/15 03:23 PM
02/28/15 03:23 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm glad you expressed your displeasures on my post, GET USE TO IT This is the U.S.A, many freedoms granted to us Enjoy life and pick your battles carefully

Re: Ammeter Charging Question - Slight Charge Always [Re: Cab_Burge] #1717554
02/28/15 04:02 PM
02/28/15 04:02 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm glad you expressed your displeasures on my post, GET USE TO IT This is the U.S.A, many freedoms granted to us Enjoy life and pick your battles carefully

Yes and one of them is to [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] about things, so get used to it.

Don't be the exception.
Page 2 of 2 1 2