12/17/14 01:46 AM
12/17/14 01:46 AM
Sorrento, BC, Canada
4speeds4me Offline OP
master
4speeds4me  Offline OP
master

Sorrento, BC, Canada
Hi Guys! I'm doing a 5.7 GenIII/A833 setup in a 68 Charger. I'd like to bring the car into the 21st Century for handling as much as possible, but also trying to respect the budget. My head starts swimming when I look at all the different options (adjustable strut rods, UCA's, etc) so I'm hoping you guys can give me a "best bang for the buck" list for the car?

Thanks in advance!

2 Demons...no, not my kids!
Re: B-body, GenIII, First Timer Here...Best Bang For Buck? [Re: 4speeds4me] #1711815
12/17/14 01:54 AM
12/17/14 01:54 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
We have the most developed system on the market right now and sell it as individual pieces or as a complete package. Feel free to look around.
www.Hotchkis.net

Re: B-body, GenIII, First Timer Here...Best Bang For Buck? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1711816
12/17/14 08:51 AM
12/17/14 08:51 AM
The Netherlands, OV
D
dickdale Offline
enthusiast
dickdale  Offline
enthusiast
D

The Netherlands, OV
Start with subframeconnectors/torqueboxes, replacing the bushings. That will be a difference...

Re: B-body, GenIII, First Timer Here...Best Bang For Buck? [Re: dickdale] #1711817
12/24/14 03:36 PM
12/24/14 03:36 PM
Sorrento, BC, Canada
4speeds4me Offline OP
master
4speeds4me  Offline OP
master

Sorrento, BC, Canada
I kinda figured that went with out saying. The car is getting a 4-speed, so the torque boxes were happening regardless, and subframe connectors at the same time. My question is more to the suspension mods. Are uber adjustable UCA's worth it? QA1 tubular lowers? Fat T-bars? Sway bars? No offense to Dan@Hotchkis ...they make some nice stuff, but not totally budget friendly...at least not my budget... This is to be a daily driver that need to be able to handle the highway more like a new car. Will there be a noticeable enough difference in camber/caster adjustability with Moog offset bushings, or will adjustable UCA's be a must? Adjustable strut rods? I need advice on where the $ is best spent for now...

Re: B-body, GenIII, First Timer Here...Best Bang For Buck? [Re: 4speeds4me] #1711818
12/24/14 05:35 PM
12/24/14 05:35 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
In simplest terms, a modern car runs more wheel rate and has more aggressive alignment that is all support by a more rigid chassis.

To duplicate that, you will need to shore up the unibody flex and step up in the t-bar, s-bar, and leaf spring rates. That is where the package approach of Hotchkis is nice, however, Firm Feel can provide similar appointments in a piece meal approach or a packaged set. Unfortunately, t-bars and s-bars are not necessarily inexpensive, so you will have to pony up some dollars here for good pieces.

The alignment part is where some of the more adjustable suspension parts come into play. Without adjustable struts or upper arms, you can improve things quite a bit over stock by using offset upper bushings. However, the adjustable pieces can allow you to take that further into the higher performance realm. Think of it like building an engine; a few small bolt ons help step up power, but to really turn it loose, you have to get inside and deal with detailed work. Suspensions respond in much the same way.

So if your just driving around for pleasure, hitting the occasional show, or doing bracket drags once in a while, go with conservative springs rates, big anti-sway rates, as much shock as you can afford, subframe connectors, and an alignment comparable to a 2001 Mustang (this is easier for the techs to look up than giving them custom specs).

Re: B-body, GenIII, First Timer Here...Best Bang For Buck? [Re: TC@HP2] #1711819
12/24/14 05:43 PM
12/24/14 05:43 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Just a tidbit, doing some math with another persons formulas that has setup MANY successful race cars, with the KPI of our 73+ Abody spindles we should be running 7.5-9 degrees of positive caster at ride height with -1 degree of camber to get our front tires to keep MAXIMUM available contact patch in all situations. Seems extreme until see the alignment specs of new Vettes, Vipers, Benz and the like.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: B-body, GenIII, First Timer Here...Best Bang For Buck? [Re: 4speeds4me] #1711820
12/24/14 06:19 PM
12/24/14 06:19 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
There are some good books that you should start with. The classic Mopar Suspension is one of the best. Old Mopar Performance publications have a lot of chassis stuff in them. The old Chevy Power book had some great chassis stuff in it. The B-body book that I wrote a few years ago has a modern twist to it but you really need to the read the older books first before you'll understand my book.

Re: B-body, GenIII, First Timer Here...Best Bang For Buck? [Re: AndyF] #1711821
12/25/14 04:56 AM
12/25/14 04:56 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
As TC said, getting the chassis stiffened up is first step and you have that covered.

Getting more aggressive alignment is a critical part of better handling. Something in the ballpark of 5 degrees positive caster and -.75 degree camber. You generally can't get there with stock parts. Stock UCA's with offset bushings installed correctly can get you close. Aftermarket UCA's help a lot. The FF UCA's with bushings got me there and can handle 3 season driving without problem. The full adjustable UCA's generally have Heim joints which don't handle bad weather so well... and also make you and your alignment guy suspension geometry engineers.

I started with stock strut rods and poly LCA bushings. On one side, the strut rods did not hold the LCA snug... about 1/8" slop which did not help alignment or stability. I added the adjustable strut rods to get it dialed in and its good now. Unless you are really lucky, I consider the adjustable rods pretty much a necessity with poly LCA bushings. Either that or be ready to trim the front bushings as needed... and each iteration requires pulling the front suspension apart. It is not as sensitive with rubber LCA bushings as they hold the LCA in position... still the adjustable rods could help bring in alignment in case of any tolerance stackups (which I had).

Re: B-body, GenIII, First Timer Here...Best Bang For Buck? [Re: ahy] #1711822
12/25/14 05:09 AM
12/25/14 05:09 AM
Sorrento, BC, Canada
4speeds4me Offline OP
master
4speeds4me  Offline OP
master

Sorrento, BC, Canada

Re: B-body, GenIII, First Timer Here...Best Bang For Buck? [Re: 72Swinger] #1711823
12/25/14 06:32 PM
12/25/14 06:32 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

Just a tidbit, doing some math with another persons formulas that has setup MANY successful race cars, with the KPI of our 73+ Abody spindles we should be running 7.5-9 degrees of positive caster at ride height with -1 degree of camber to get our front tires to keep MAXIMUM available contact patch in all situations. Seems extreme until see the alignment specs of new Vettes, Vipers, Benz and the like.

Absolutely. And when you look at the impacts of dynamic caster on the dynamic camber curve and its relationship to body roll, you an easily see why its that high up there, never mind the actual feel of stability it imparts.

This is when you start getting serious about putting the grip down and stepping beyond just bolt on stuff. Again, the engine bolt on analogy applies here.

Re: B-body, GenIII, First Timer Here...Best Bang For Buck? [Re: TC@HP2] #1711824
12/25/14 07:20 PM
12/25/14 07:20 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
The theory is the more caster you can obtain, shoot for a caster number 1-2* higher than your spindle KPI. I believe the KPI or SAI number is what determines the amount of dynamic camber possible when the outside tire is turned and in a corner. The problem comes when people add a bunch of static camber, any static negative camber while helping the outside tire in a corner, does the opposite to the inside tire as far as contact patch. In a nut shell the more caster you can run, the less static neg camber is required. Also the Mopar A-body front suspension gains caster on compression which is good for the outside tire but bad for the inside.

Mopar to the bone!!!