11/18/14 10:40 PM
11/18/14 10:40 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline OP
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline OP
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
This last weekend we were at the Scottsdale, AZ Good Guys show and more specifically, the autocross! After an online sweeptakes through the Craftsman Made to Race contest, our good friend Mike won a shot at taking down the Craftsman Comet on the autocross course.

https://club.craftsman.com/community/#!/madetorace/challenge

Despite being grossly under powered, Mike was able to consistently put down much faster times than the Comet all day. At the end of Friday, the Craftsman folks figured their chances of closing the 6 second gap were slim to none and declared Mike the winner; showing that you don't need to convert a car to coilovers and multi-link suspensions to have a competitive package. A well thought out, balance and tested Spring, Shock and Sway Bar package can be more than adequate to take on the big boys.

Mikes car was one of our initial prototypes and features all of our current offerings and will be upgraded with our new upper control arms and adjustable strut rods over the winter.

Re: Hotchkis Equipped Mustang vs. Craftsman Comet! [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1700702
11/18/14 10:46 PM
11/18/14 10:46 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline

ok, so it was mercury vs ford

How did the Mopars do? How about some info on those cars, there is a couple on that list/chart thing that is hard to understand. Maybe if I spent more time trying to figuring it all out....

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: Hotchkis Equipped Mustang vs. Craftsman Comet! [Re: amxautox] #1700703
11/18/14 11:14 PM
11/18/14 11:14 PM
Escondido CA USA
Tomswheels Offline
enthusiast
Tomswheels  Offline
enthusiast

Escondido CA USA
Tom, I've had the pleasure of racing against the Green Mustang all year at the San Diego SCCA autocrosses. I've been fortunate to be 2-4 seconds faster than him at each event. Mopar+Hotchkis= Fast...

8335461-image.jpg (134 downloads)
Re: Hotchkis Equipped Mustang vs. Craftsman Comet! [Re: Tomswheels] #1700704
11/18/14 11:29 PM
11/18/14 11:29 PM
amxautox Offline
amxautox  Offline

That's great. Sometimes I wish I could afford to build a good car, let alone a great car. Heck, I can't even afford to go autocrossing anymore, but I should a couple times a year anyway, but I'm still upgrading my boat, to the tune of 6 thousand the past 2 years, and another maybe 4 thousand if I continue with my plans, not counting fishing gear, to the tune of about 2 k the past 2 years. Fishing just happens to be the number one thing to me, cars come second. lol . I REALLY want to go to the Hotchkiss autocross at MATS, and the track day at Spring Fling, but can't afford the 2k each trip. Not to mention better tires, better shocks, stock doesn't get it. And work to be done on the van to tow the car, and all that other stuff like being sure the dog is taken care of in the heat of Ca. and NEV. Maybe some day. At least here in this forum I can read of what others are accomplishing.

Tom

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

Re: Hotchkis Equipped Mustang vs. Craftsman Comet! [Re: Tomswheels] #1700705
11/19/14 12:35 AM
11/19/14 12:35 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline OP
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline OP
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Tom, I've had the pleasure of racing against the Green Mustang all year at the San Diego SCCA autocrosses. I've been fortunate to be 2-4 seconds faster than him at each event. Mopar+Hotchkis= Fast...

So how does the math work when I'm faster than you in the Mustang AND faster than you in your own car?!?

Re: Hotchkis Equipped Mustang vs. Craftsman Comet! [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1700706
11/19/14 01:28 AM
11/19/14 01:28 AM
Escondido CA USA
Tomswheels Offline
enthusiast
Tomswheels  Offline
enthusiast

Escondido CA USA
Dan, if I may refresh your version of history, you did beat me in my stock suspension Barracuda convertible once, with you in the Hotchkis Challenger, by .072 thousandths of a second. Kudos. You did beat me in a Hotchkis 69 Mustang the only time I ever drove it by 1 second in that Hotchkis modified 65 Mustang at Qualcomm. Kudos again. I thought it very courteous of me to let you run a faster lap (on hot tires) at the Hotchkis event we were at in my Valiant, it would be bad form for me to beat you in front of Mr. Hotchkis, no? I would LOVE the chance to race you in the Mustang, me in the Valiant... Anytime, anywhere...

8335632-image.jpg (174 downloads)
Last edited by Tomswheels; 11/19/14 01:43 AM.
Re: Hotchkis Equipped Mustang vs. Craftsman Comet! [Re: Tomswheels] #1700707
11/19/14 01:33 AM
11/19/14 01:33 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline OP
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline OP
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Dan, if I may refresh your version of history, you did beat me in my stock suspension Barracuda convertible once, with you in the Hotchkis Challenger, by less than two tenths of a second. Kudos. You did beat me in a Hotchkis 69 Mustang the first time. I ever drove it once in that Hotchkis modified 65 Mustang at Qualcomm. Kudos again. I thought it very courteous of me to let you run a faster lap at the Hotchkis event we were at in my Valiant, it would be bad form for me to beat you in front of Mr. Hotchkis, no? I would LOVE the chance to race you in the Mustang, me in the Valiant... Anytime, anywhere...

Hahaha! Epic response! You're on buddy. I'd like to see how they stack up as well. And EVERYONE knows that beating your Barracuda is near impossible, so I don't think that ANY of that math is relevant.

Re: Hotchkis Equipped Mustang vs. Craftsman Comet! [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1700708
11/19/14 01:38 AM
11/19/14 01:38 AM
amxautox Offline
amxautox  Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Dan, if I may refresh your version of history, you did beat me in my stock suspension Barracuda convertible once, with you in the Hotchkis Challenger, by less than two tenths of a second. Kudos. You did beat me in a Hotchkis 69 Mustang the first time. I ever drove it once in that Hotchkis modified 65 Mustang at Qualcomm. Kudos again. I thought it very courteous of me to let you run a faster lap at the Hotchkis event we were at in my Valiant, it would be bad form for me to beat you in front of Mr. Hotchkis, no? I would LOVE the chance to race you in the Mustang, me in the Valiant... Anytime, anywhere...

Hahaha! Epic response! You're on buddy. I'd like to see how they stack up as well. And EVERYONE knows that beating your Barracuda is near impossible, so I don't think that ANY of that math is relevant.

Oh boy, a GRUDGE RACE!!!

Drag racers have NOTHING over a REAL ROAD COURSE/AUTOCROSS grudge race.

Beings it's on the West Coast I may just have to fly in to watch. Anybody want to rent me a Cuda to participate?

Last edited by amxautox; 11/19/14 01:40 AM.

Tom

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

Re: Hotchkis Equipped Mustang vs. Craftsman Comet! [Re: amxautox] #1700709
11/19/14 01:45 AM
11/19/14 01:45 AM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

A little off topic did they ver say what broke on the rear of the big tire red vette on Saturday? He had a good running until it went caplooie!

Would of stopped in and said hi if I knew you guys were there. Oh well that show takes more than one day to go thru anyway.

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Re: Hotchkis Equipped Mustang vs. Craftsman Comet! [Re: moparpollack] #1700710
11/19/14 10:42 AM
11/19/14 10:42 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline OP
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline OP
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

A little off topic did they ver say what broke on the rear of the big tire red vette on Saturday? He had a good running until it went caplooie!

Would of stopped in and said hi if I knew you guys were there. Oh well that show takes more than one day to go thru anyway.

Brian's Vette blew a halfshaft
Rodney's Camamo had a balljoint nut that backed off and sent the wheel into the fender
Bruce's Cobra blew a half shaft
The LS powered Dart was having trans puking/starting issues
Ridetech "Grandma's Nova" Blew up it's bottom end.

If you ever see the cars with a Hotchkis Banner on the windshield, say hi. They are members of the H-Team and usually someone from Hotchkis isn't too far away!

Re: Hotchkis Equipped Mustang vs. Craftsman Comet! [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1700711
11/20/14 01:45 AM
11/20/14 01:45 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
I've met Mike (and Tom) at the second Hotchkis Autocross and I can say they're all great guys to hang around. They were always willing to give me pointers even though I was fighting both myself and the traction control in the Scion when I went out. It's pretty amazing what Mike can do with his Mustang. I believe when I talked to him about it, he stated he had some pretty narrow tires on that Mustang. Last I recall they were somewhere in the 215-245mm range.

Re: Hotchkis Equipped Mustang vs. Craftsman Comet! [Re: MuuMuu101] #1700712
11/20/14 02:55 AM
11/20/14 02:55 AM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
This makes me think of E-Booger's Green Brick handily thumping the high dollar cars of Mark Stielow and many others several years back. You don't always have to have the latest trick or bling to make things work.

Carl Kessel
Re: Hotchkis Equipped Mustang vs. Craftsman Comet! [Re: MuuMuu101] #1700713
11/20/14 11:04 AM
11/20/14 11:04 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline OP
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline OP
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Mike runs a 215 front and a 235 rear. The narrowest tire after him at this event was a 255, most were 275+ It's a super fun little car. I've won a lot of Regional SCCA Championships in it.

Re: Hotchkis Equipped Mustang vs. Craftsman Comet! [Re: CKessel] #1700714
11/20/14 12:27 PM
11/20/14 12:27 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

This makes me think of E-Booger's Green Brick handily thumping the high dollar cars of Mark Stielow and many others several years back. You don't always have to have the latest trick or bling to make things work.

A couple of decades ago. Time has flown by.