M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

As I said I waited for the cars to launch and leave the line before I started my burnout but he did give the swirling finger to start the burnout and on one pass the guy in the other lane did but I waited. Maybe I am not used to how they do it as I usually pay attention to the guy because I know some tracks wait until the cars racing cross the finish line so I pay attention to be sure I dont start to early. Like I said I never start until the cars have left the line but some tracks tell you to wait longer and thats why I pay attention to the guy. It wasn't a big deal to me but I just thought it seemed different then I have seen or been taught. Ron

You should have give him the one finger to let him know you thought he was #1!

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Burnout at the track ? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1694660
11/05/14 07:54 PM
11/05/14 07:54 PM
Ambridge, Pa.
R
rickraw Online content
top fuel
rickraw  Online Content
top fuel
R

Ambridge, Pa.
It knocks the rocks out of the way so ur not burning out on them.

Re: Burnout at the track ? [Re: rickraw] #1694661
11/05/14 08:51 PM
11/05/14 08:51 PM
Mooresburg, Tn
'
'72CudaRacer Online content
top fuel
'72CudaRacer  Online Content
top fuel
'

Mooresburg, Tn
When the starting line offical motions to me to start my burnout, I take that as my signal from him that its ok to start my burnout AT MY DISCRETION. I WILL NOT start my burnout when there is a car sitting where MY car is going to land. I also won't start my burnout until both lanes have cleared ahead of me, especially if there is a long spot between them.
Even if they're in a hurry up mode, the few seconds for safety ain't gonna make up that much time.
Remember, above all else, that YOU are still the captain of your ship. Don't take that responsibility lightly.

Brian

Re: Burnout at the track ? [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1694662
11/06/14 02:32 AM
11/06/14 02:32 AM
southern Maryland
K
keefe Offline
mopar
keefe  Offline
mopar
K

southern Maryland
Quote:

Quote:

As I said I waited for the cars to launch and leave the line before I started my burnout but he did give the swirling finger to start the burnout and on one pass the guy in the other lane did but I waited. Maybe I am not used to how they do it as I usually pay attention to the guy because I know some tracks wait until the cars racing cross the finish line so I pay attention to be sure I dont start to early. Like I said I never start until the cars have left the line but some tracks tell you to wait longer and thats why I pay attention to the guy. It wasn't a big deal to me but I just thought it seemed different then I have seen or been taught. Ron

Ron.. the reason for the hurry up burnouts was all the oil downs, they were way behind schedule..

Mrmopar622..Depending on who's working the burnout pit that wouldn't be a good idea down here in "good ol southern Maryland"...LOL

Last edited by keefe; 11/06/14 03:39 AM.

1971 duster twister 440, 3380#,509 M/P hyd,906's,full Exhaust,11.06@117.46 1/4,6.95@ 97.03 1/8,1.497 60ft.....
Re: Burnout at the track ? [Re: keefe] #1694663
11/06/14 01:46 PM
11/06/14 01:46 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ron.. the reason for the hurry up burnouts was all the oil downs, they were way behind schedule..

Mrmopar622..Depending on who's working the burnout pit that wouldn't be a good idea down here in "good ol southern Maryland"...LOL

I don't know about good Ol Southern Maryland,but down here in the Good O'll Southern South there ain't nothing we's like better than getting a belly full of beer and having a good o'll fight on a Saturday night! And it does not hurt to be not only Big but in Good health,I'm the one on the left in picture!I do not know which is the best having partners that have enough $$$ that we don't have to Win to have enough $$$ to race next week,or having partners that have shown me how to have fun Racing again.But I am having the most Fun Racing now that I have had since I started Racing at the age of 16.

PS I know the difference between a Yankee and a Daymn Yankee,but I wonder what the difference is between a Southern Red-Neck and a Yankee Red-Neck!

8323155-mmpbsd005.jpg (40 downloads)
Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 11/06/14 06:10 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Burnout at the track ? [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1694664
11/06/14 02:44 PM
11/06/14 02:44 PM
Norwalk Ohio
cudasteve68 Offline
enthusiast
cudasteve68  Offline
enthusiast

Norwalk Ohio
I always make sure the pair ahead of me is clear as well as the track. I had to miss a muffler one time at 110 MPH.
Hitting the throttle before the burn out ensures the tire is wet. Some shorter water boxes will leave a dry spot on your tire. You should never start your burn out in the "water". It should be done on the very edge of it closest to the starting line. Spinning through the water box will cool the tire & throw water all over.

Re: Burnout at the track ? [Re: Quicktree] #1694665
11/06/14 04:24 PM
11/06/14 04:24 PM
Huntsville, AL
A
Airwoofer Offline
mopar
Airwoofer  Offline
mopar
A

Huntsville, AL
Quote:

keep in mind you are the one controlling the car not the guy telling you what to do.

I have had them give me the spin 'em up signal while a guy was mopping the area in front of me. You are the one in charge of your car and the safe operation.

Re: Burnout at the track ? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1694666
11/06/14 08:34 PM
11/06/14 08:34 PM
Byron, NY
W.I.N. Racing Offline
top fuel
W.I.N. Racing  Offline
top fuel

Byron, NY
Quote:

Speaking of "bozos" in the water box.......who in the crap started this "blip the throttle, spin the tires, in the water" and then roll up to do the burnout, that all the water box cowboys seem to encourage people to do now............All I see that does is throw water everywhere under the car. I DO understand that some guys can't break the tire loose on dry pavement if the tire is dry, but you are rolling through a puddle of water. If that is a concern, the puddle only need be wider, or start the burnout on the edge of the wet spot. And by "puddle" I just mean the wet spot on the track they hose down.

Monte

I couldnt agree more...see it all the time and wonder where is the water dripping????

'01 P1500, Blown/Inj BAE,/Veney ,Bruno/CS2,Dana 60
'01 Dodge 3500 S Cummins Auto, Fresh air kit, 4" Exhaust,
'05 Dodge Magnum R/T - Too Much to list
'60 Willys CJ5
'01 International LPX - Project,DT466, Allison
'64 Plymouth Valiant, Inj 528 Hemi, 2spd
Re: Burnout at the track ? [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1694667
11/07/14 05:47 AM
11/07/14 05:47 AM
southern Maryland
K
keefe Offline
mopar
keefe  Offline
mopar
K

southern Maryland
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know about good Ol Southern Maryland,but down here in the Good O'll Southern South there ain't nothing we's like better than getting a belly full of beer and having a good o'll fight on a Saturday night! And it does not hurt to be not only Big but in Good health,I'm the one on the left in picture!I do not know which is the best having partners that have enough $$$ that we don't have to Win to have enough $$$ to race next week,or having partners that have shown me how to have fun Racing again.But I am having the most Fun Racing now that I have had since I started Racing at the age of 16.

PS I know the difference between a Yankee and a Daymn Yankee,but I wonder what the difference is between a Southern Red-Neck and a Yankee Red-Neck!

Mr622 nice dragster.Having fun is what it's all about...

1971 duster twister 440, 3380#,509 M/P hyd,906's,full Exhaust,11.06@117.46 1/4,6.95@ 97.03 1/8,1.497 60ft.....
Re: Burnout at the track ? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1694668
11/08/14 04:28 AM
11/08/14 04:28 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
Quote:

Speaking of "bozos" in the water box.......who in the crap started this "blip the throttle, spin the tires, in the water" and then roll up to do the burnout, that all the water box cowboys seem to encourage people to do now............All I see that does is throw water everywhere under the car. I DO understand that some guys can't break the tire loose on dry pavement if the tire is dry, but you are rolling through a puddle of water. If that is a concern, the puddle only need be wider, or start the burnout on the edge of the wet spot. And by "puddle" I just mean the wet spot on the track they hose down.

Monte

Must have been some one before 1966 , thats when I started being a BOZO I guess LOL

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Burnout at the track ? [Re: rowin4] #1694669
11/09/14 01:02 AM
11/09/14 01:02 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Must have been some one before 1966 , thats when I started being a BOZO I guess LOL

Went to the track today, thought about this post so I watched from behind the starting line for a couple rounds. The burn out box guy only motioned the cars to start their burnout after the cars completed their run { 1/8 mile } and for the BOZO'S, I would say 95% of the door slammer cars blipped the throttle as they drove threw the water box. Even a few dragsters did the ordeal, must have been previous door slammer drivers

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Burnout at the track ? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1694670
11/09/14 10:50 AM
11/09/14 10:50 AM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Quote:

Speaking of "bozos" in the water box.......who in the crap started this "blip the throttle, spin the tires, in the water" and then roll up to do the burnout, that all the water box cowboys seem to encourage people to do now............All I see that does is throw water everywhere under the car.

I prefer a long wet spot to just roll across before doing the burnout. If you have tires over 100" circumference, the wet spot needs to be at least that long (9 feet). If they just have a 24" long puddle, that is unsatisfactory. I also don't like standing water puddles, just a wet surface to roll across is fine with me.

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1
Re: Burnout at the track ? [Re: 440Jim] #1694671
11/10/14 05:38 PM
11/10/14 05:38 PM
P
Paul_Fancsali Offline
master
Paul_Fancsali  Offline
master
P

This past Sat at PRP the water box had too much water but it was a TnT so they really were not concerned . At least they sprayed the lanes several times. But street tires would not bite period too cold and wet M&H's did the trick

Page 2 of 2 1 2