11/04/14 11:50 AM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
HI!

I have a rotating assembly for a HEMI that has been balanced using a solid HuB instead of a vibration damper (no elastomer or fluid).

I was wondering if by using one of these gilmer pulley and belt setups I would absorb the harmonics just like on Blower equippped engines? My engine is gonna be naturally aspirated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Chrysler-B...b97&vxp=mtr

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694290
11/04/14 01:27 PM
11/04/14 01:27 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
If the solid hub is a neutral balanced hub(no offset weight) then it dosen't matter what hub(neutral balanced) you use.Usually any internally balanced assembly is balanced without any neutral balanced componants,(dampners,flywheels,etc.).The dampners have two functions,one to dampen any harmonics and the other is for torsional twisting of the crank under loads.The heavy balancer or dampener helps bring the crank back to centerline alignment as the front of the crank tends to twist ahead of the true centerline.It offsets the twisting load.Heavy loads like turning of a blower act similarly and you don't need a heavy balancer.With this being said,because of the tremendous loads placed by pressurized cylinders and heavy fuel loads as well as heavy rotational loads is is why you find cracks in most all cranks used in these applications.If your not turning any accessories with the crank then you can get away with a lite balancer an hub.Balancers with no dampening effect will allow any harmonics from the cam and valve train to effect the crank.If you are running a N/A engine with a solid hub and balancer it would be wise to run a belt driven cam to interupt those harmonics.

Last edited by B G Racing; 11/04/14 03:10 PM.
Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: B G Racing] #1694291
11/04/14 05:17 PM
11/04/14 05:17 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Thanks for the reply Bob!

Well, let me explain a lil bit further...

Thing is I haev enough parts to put together a 500 cid HEMI from parts I have sitting on the shelf.

All these parts came as part of package deals or freebies when I bought some cars...so they came at practically no cost tome...still these parts are seconds, or brand new parts that got machined etc in a way that I woukd probably havent done, or had done....but they are what they are....either they remain on my shelf collecting dust, or I assemble them together and build a HEMI at almost zero cost to me.

Turns out that the rotating assembly I have is a 4.375" stroke bryant billet crank, childs and albert pistons and stock rods polished, resized and w new bolts installed. but the thing is that these have been already balanced by cutting the crank counterweights and then by having an offset balance flywheel and solid hub installed. The hub has a considerable offset balance, and the whole rotating assy has been balanced like that.

Yes, I could get a new balancer, new flywheel etc, rebalance and do it "right" but that will mean added costs which I dont want to incurr in since these are all "junk" parts.

So...having said this, I suppose that a way to make this work without having a time bomb is to use that gilmer pulley setup and then getting the belt driven cam gears???? Now that seems like I could do....

My total cost on building this hemi will only be labour, gaskets, bearings and piston rings. most everything else I already have! -cracked but welded heads, they dont leak, used rocker arms, the rotating assembly mentioned, a new MP siamese water block that had the core shift issues and says not to bore over 4.31", etc.

Be nice to build a HEMI that will last for at least a while and not spending much in putting it together....

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: B G Racing] #1694292
11/04/14 09:59 PM
11/04/14 09:59 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
Quote:

Balancers with no dampening effect will allow any harmonics from the cam and valve train to effect the crank.If you are running a N/A engine with a solid hub and balancer it would be wise to run a belt driven cam to interupt those harmonics.

Bob, shouldn't you have typed "Balancers with no dampening effect will allow any harmonics from the crank to effect the cam and valve train"?

While I don't have near the engine building experience that Bob has, personally, I would not run a solid hub on a crank for any reason, even if it was free. It can't be good even if a belt is used as a band-aid. You should look at the potential long term costs.

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: Locomotion] #1694293
11/04/14 10:29 PM
11/04/14 10:29 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Quote:

Balancers with no dampening effect will allow any harmonics from the cam and valve train to effect the crank.If you are running a N/A engine with a solid hub and balancer it would be wise to run a belt driven cam to interupt those harmonics.

Bob, shouldn't you have typed "Balancers with no dampening effect will allow any harmonics from the crank to effect the cam and valve train"?

While I don't have near the engine building experience that Bob has, personally, I would not run a solid hub on a crank for any reason, even if it was free. It can't be good even if a belt is used as a band-aid. You should look at the potential long term costs.

But dont blown engines run solid hubs?? Why not run a solid damper with a belt?? Wouldnt it be the same??? And I could also add the belt driven timing gears....

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694294
11/05/14 02:48 AM
11/05/14 02:48 AM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
I've always heard that solid hubs also crack cranks. It is out of my "familiarity zone" and it's been done without issues, but I tend to be over-cautious.

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: Locomotion] #1694295
11/05/14 03:57 AM
11/05/14 03:57 AM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
I think Im just gonna take a stab at it....

Better trying and seeing it blow in a thousand pieces rather than keep the parts collecting dust on a shelf forever!!!

Lets see how it goes...

D

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694296
11/05/14 05:01 AM
11/05/14 05:01 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
A stock damper would be better than a solid hub. Solid hub equals broken crank sooner than later.

As was said earlier, if the rotating assembly is neutral balanced then just get a neutral balance damper in whatever brand you like. It will NOT require you to rebalance the rotating assembly.

Kevin

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: Locomotion] #1694297
11/05/14 01:37 PM
11/05/14 01:37 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Read my post carefully,I never suggest running a balancer/dampner with out harmonic control.However many applications are run and have been run with only a hub and a timing wheel.We ran many this way years ago on injected engines when we never drove any accessories of the crank and drove the fuel pumps off the cam.Most all blower applications are run with out a Balancer/dampner.I tried to explain the purpose of the componant as far as torsional twisting and harmonics and the effects caused by the use and non use of the componant.We qualified the issues by saying that is why you find most cranks use this way crack.To further explain harmonics tend to kill bearings,cause cap metal transfer and loosen or stress componants.Torsional twisting with out any means of returning to centerline alignment will stress the crank and cause it to crack as well as throw any accurate indexing out the window.A good example is take a blowen engine,in many cases the twisting under load will cause the pistons on some cylinders to travel higher in the bores.
To further explain there are more harmonics generated at the valve train componants than at the crank.If the crank is creating harmonics than you have a wacked out balance and the engine should have never been run.The first and most critical part of any engine is a strong,balanced rotating assembly,without this the engine is going to self destruct and everything else is moot point.As far as harmonics the 16 cam lobes,16 lifters,16 pushrods,16 rockers,16 valve springs,cam drive,pump drives and related componants can reek havoc on an engine.Listen to most any good solid running engine and the most predominate noise you will here and vibration you feel will be from the valve train.A good rotating assembly balance will cost you a few hundered dollars,a good valve train assembly will cost you thousands of dollars.

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694298
11/05/14 01:51 PM
11/05/14 01:51 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Thing is I haev enough parts to put together a 500 cid HEMI from parts I have sitting on the shelf.

All these parts came as part of package deals or freebies when I bought some cars...so they came at practically no cost tome...still these parts are seconds, or brand new parts that got machined etc in a way that I woukd probably havent done, or had done....but they are what they are....either they remain on my shelf collecting dust, or I assemble them together and build a HEMI at almost zero cost to me.

Turns out that the rotating assembly I have is a 4.375" stroke bryant billet crank, childs and albert pistons and stock rods polished, resized and w new bolts installed. but the thing is that these have been already balanced by cutting the crank counterweights and then by having an offset balance flywheel and solid hub installed. The hub has a considerable offset balance, and the whole rotating assy has been balanced like that.

Yes, I could get a new balancer, new flywheel etc, rebalance and do it "right" but that will mean added costs which I dont want to incurr in since these are all "junk" parts.

So...having said this, I suppose that a way to make this work without having a time bomb is to use that gilmer pulley setup and then getting the belt driven cam gears???? Now that seems like I could do....

My total cost on building this hemi will only be labour, gaskets, bearings and piston rings. most everything else I already have! -cracked but welded heads, they dont leak, used rocker arms, the rotating assembly mentioned, a new MP siamese water block that had the core shift issues and says not to bore over 4.31", etc.

Be nice to build a HEMI that will last for at least a while and not spending much in putting it together....

Domingo, to address your situation,if the rotating assembly was balanced with this external weighted hub and flywheel then some one is compinsating for heavy rods and pistons used on a lightened crank that may have been setup for a light aluminium rod assembly and it would be very expensive to add heavy metal to the counter weights.It's always easier and cheaper to balance to a lighter assembly,you just need to remove metal.You can add any neutral balance dampner to the assembly as long as you attach it to the weighted hub or have a custom dampner made with the same offset weight added to it,similar to some Chevy dampners that have the bolt on weights.They can be use on internally balanced assemblies without the weight and on externally balanced assemblies with the weight.

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: B G Racing] #1694299
11/05/14 02:09 PM
11/05/14 02:09 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Quote:

Domingo, to address your situation,if the rotating assembly was balanced with this external weighted hub and flywheel then some one is compinsating for heavy rods and pistons used on a lightened crank that may have been setup for a light aluminium rod assembly and it would be very expensive to add heavy metal to the counter weights.It's always easier and cheaper to balance to a lighter assembly,you just need to remove metal.You can add any neutral balance dampner to the assembly as long as you attach it to the weighted hub or have a custom dampner made with the same offset weight added to it,similar to some Chevy dampners that have the bolt on weights.They can be use on internally balanced assemblies without the weight and on externally balanced assemblies with the weight.

Well yes, probably the way to go would be to figure out a way of fabbing a dampner with the same balance offset as the solid piece I have on the engine right now....That way I could spend the money there instead of buying one of those expensive camshaft belt drives!!! Uhmmmm.....Ill take a closer look at that solid offset balance I have there and will see what can be done.....

Maybe I can sacrifice an old elastomer HEMI damper and make it the same offset balance....

Thanks to all you guys for the heads up and being insisting enough to have this sink into my thick skull!!!

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694300
11/05/14 02:16 PM
11/05/14 02:16 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Can you show us a picture of your weighted hub?Keep in mind this is nothing new,when Chrysler added the heavy rods and pistons to the 6 Pack engines they balance them this way.Just buy a cheap aftermarket dampner or use a stock one and have it offset balanced to your assembly.A good machinist should be able to determine how much weight and where it needs to be placed on the dampner,just remember to use the weighted flywheel with the balance process.We had a machine shop that took a neutral balanced stock dampner and offset balanced it to an external assembly buy first removing a lot of material from the heavy ring then spun it on the balance machine adding the weight where it was needed with a couple of slugs of heavy metal

Last edited by B G Racing; 11/05/14 02:27 PM.
Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: B G Racing] #1694301
11/05/14 02:46 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
OK guys! Here go the pics!!!!

As you can see somebody was dead set on making things lighter

Here are the pistons

8322209-001.JPG (47 downloads)
Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694302
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
nuther one of the pistons

8322211-002.JPG (43 downloads)
Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694303
11/05/14 02:48 PM
11/05/14 02:48 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
polished stock rods, they also went kinda crazy shaving off the balance pads....I corrected them to make em weight the same on both sides with my rod scale but some were not possible to equialize perfectly, still, no worse than a set of untouched stock rods....

8322214-003.JPG (42 downloads)
Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694304
11/05/14 02:49 PM
11/05/14 02:49 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Now here is the 143 tooth flywheel and dual disc clutch assy. Check out how they machined it to lighten it and also check out the chunk they took out making it external balance....

8322216-004.JPG (43 downloads)
Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694305
11/05/14 02:51 PM
11/05/14 02:51 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Now this is the killer....the damper.

Dont know why they went into the trouble of making a damper that looks exact to a stock street HEMI damper on the outside....its machined out of a solid piece of steel. The went "concourse show poodle correct" on the external appereance of the damper!!!! Its machined out of a single piece of billet steel.

8322223-005.JPG (46 downloads)
Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694306
11/05/14 02:52 PM
11/05/14 02:52 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Now this is the backside of the damper....and the heavy offset balance chunk of steel bolted to it.

8322224-006.JPG (38 downloads)
Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694307
11/05/14 02:54 PM
11/05/14 02:54 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Here are the turned down counterweights on the crank....you can still see the chunks of mallory in the counterweights, when it was turned down some portiones of the mallory were shaved away

8322225-007.JPG (39 downloads)
Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694308
11/05/14 02:55 PM
11/05/14 02:55 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Do you think I risk these coming loose? Should I weld them to secure them in place? If welding, what should I use???

8322227-008.JPG (37 downloads)
Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694309
11/05/14 02:56 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
I think its a Bryant Billet crank...here are the markings....can anybody confirm what I have here?

8322229-009.JPG (33 downloads)
Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694310
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
It reads PRO CRANK on one of the counterweights

8322231-010.JPG (31 downloads)
Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694311
11/05/14 02:57 PM
11/05/14 02:57 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
4.375"

8322232-011.JPG (26 downloads)
Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694312
11/05/14 02:59 PM
11/05/14 02:59 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

A belt drive on the camshaft will NOT protect the crank. There isn't enough mass on the other end of the belt to have any damping effect on the crankshaft. The belt does dampen the vibrations going to the camshaft, which is why some have found 20+ hp by switching from chain or gears to belt.

Back in the day, chevy 283s with forged cranks did not have dampers. 3" stroke, 200hp or thereabouts.
My Poly 318, 200hp, 3.31" stroke, did not have a damper on the end of its forged crank.

Dirt track racers have tried over the years to use solid hubs instead of the heavier dampers, because the dampers are additional rotating mass to accelerate. But they found out that the cranks, even decent forgings, would break. To finish first, first you have to finish. I remember reading about the need for dampers back in the '70s, and that was with 3.5" stroke cranks.

Now, if you have an engine with a solid hub and a big supercharger hanging on it, connected by belts, I can see how the rotating mass of the supercharger, the horsepower drag of compressing the air, and the flexibility of the belt would serve as a damper.

But take that belt off and I guarantee, you'll break the crank. It may take a while, but it'll break.

R.

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694313
11/05/14 05:13 PM
11/05/14 05:13 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
All the Bryant cranks we have seen and the ones here in the shop have Bryant stamped on the front counter weight.It appears that the counterweights where excessively cut for piston/block clearence and externally balanced because too much was removed to be able to internally balance it.Those street hemi rods are questionable at best,years ago we would go through 3 to 4 sets to get 1 good set.So if you have some way of checking them like magging or zilego(penatration) testing it would be a good idea.That flywheel maybe matched to the clutch and external assembly.
You must ask yourself,"when is a deal not a deal" and do you want to "risk the time and effort" for a "hopeful chance of success"My advise is not to use any of the stuff but if you want to take a chance have the crank checked before anything,that might be the deciding factor.
Respectfully Bob

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: B G Racing] #1694314
11/05/14 06:26 PM
11/05/14 06:26 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

All the Bryant cranks we have seen and the ones here in the shop have Bryant stamped on the front counter weight.It appears that the counterweights where excessively cut for piston/block clearence and externally balanced because too much was removed to be able to internally balance it.Those street hemi rods are questionable at best,years ago we would go through 3 to 4 sets to get 1 good set.So if you have some way of checking them like magging or zilego(penatration) testing it would be a good idea.That flywheel maybe matched to the clutch and external assembly.
You must ask yourself,"when is a deal not a deal" and do you want to "risk the time and effort" for a "hopeful chance of success"My advise is not to use any of the stuff but if you want to take a chance have the crank checked before anything,that might be the deciding factor.
Respectfully Bob

it is what it is. I either use it and try to do somethign with it and have some fun, or i leave it on a shelf collecting dust forever.

I have enought "junk" parts to put together a 500 cid hemi without having to go buying expensive stuff...

and this stuff I would not use along with other "brand new nice stuff" for the obvious reasons....

So im gonna have some fun putting this thing together and flog it till it blows. I think that the 3k that I might have to throw in it to make it a running engine will be worth the fun for the time it lasts.....

Im just gonna make sure it last for as long as possible. Heck it might run for years! If it runs for years I think it would be a bargain for the 3k I have to throw in it to make it run.

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: Twostick] #1694315
11/06/14 02:01 AM
11/06/14 02:01 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Quote:

A stock damper would be better than a solid hub. Solid hub equals broken crank sooner than later.

As was said earlier, if the rotating assembly is neutral balanced then just get a neutral balance damper in whatever brand you like. It will NOT require you to rebalance the rotating assembly.

Kevin

Quote:

having an offset balance flywheel and solid hub installed. The hub has a considerable offset balance, and the whole rotating assy has been balanced like that.

Belay my last response. I missed this part of the thread.

Apologies.

Kevin

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: Twostick] #1694316
11/06/14 11:10 AM
11/06/14 11:10 AM
back in Georgia
dthemi Offline
master
dthemi  Offline
master

back in Georgia
Just to cut to the chase. Don't run that pulley set up instead of a damper. The blower pulley/belt set up works because there's around 30 +pounds of rotating rotors and gears in the blower that provide the damping effect through the belt, that is under constant strain. No rotors, no damping.

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: dthemi] #1694317
11/06/14 12:06 PM
11/06/14 12:06 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Just to cut to the chase. Don't run that pulley set up instead of a damper. The blower pulley/belt set up works because there's around 30 +pounds of rotating rotors and gears in the blower that provide the damping effect through the belt, that is under constant strain. No rotors, no damping.

gotcha!!!!!

Im gonna see what can be done to put a damper in there....gonna take my rotating assembly and an elastomer damper to my buddy who balances rotating assemblies down here in Peru and see what can be done....

Likewise, Im trying to keep things CHEEEEP.

I see the HEMi dampers are THICKER, do you think I can get away with a cheap narrow 440 damper? And which one would you guys suggest? It would be nice if it already has the bolt provisions for adding a counterweight.

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694318
11/06/14 12:58 PM
11/06/14 12:58 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
most race hemis used the thin dampner similar to the 440. Just machine it and offset balance it like your solid hub is.I suggest you do some checking to find if that flywheel was balanced to that dual clutch setup

Re: Using a solid hub instead of a damper? Will this fix it [Re: domingo] #1694319
11/06/14 03:31 PM
11/06/14 03:31 PM
Norway (old world)
Oyvind Mopar Offline
mopar
Oyvind Mopar  Offline
mopar

Norway (old world)
If you are just going the cheap way, you can buy a chinese damper for 360 that has attachable weights inside. It is simple to adapt it to the hemi, my

Page 1 of 2 1 2