10/24/14 04:54 PM
10/24/14 04:54 PM
Pennsylvania
S
shantyshakinstud Offline OP
shantyshakinstud  Offline OP
S

Pennsylvania
Current combo: 528" Koleno 440 block, fully ported Indy 440-1 (cast iron)heads with 2.25 intake valve. 4.50 bore, 4.15 stroke. Manley Pro-Series I beam rods, eagle forged crank.

Currently run in a 540" limited truck pulling class, naturally aspirated, single four barrel carb, cast intake.

Tired of guys with big ford A460 heads and big Chevy heads ( different versions) getting out on me in the power department. Now they want to put a rule in to restrict pro stock heads (predators), and hemi heads. So to even get a valve size near them and flow, i am talking B1 MC or PSO. (PSO honestly to be close to the Ford/Chevy Port Programs out there)

Another class is basically run what you brung (any cube, blower, nitrous, turbo, etc). My question: Instead of dropping $10,000 on a top end for naturally aspirated horsepower at 540" in a class that handicaps mopar options, what would be most cost effective as far as a power adder.

I have so much $$$ tied up in this Koleno block, I can't afford to abandon it really. No one really wants Cast Iron Indy 440-1 Heads as they are too heavy, but they do flow well and make decent power. I would only get pennies on my dollars if i abandon them.

I am a big boy, tell me the best options for making significantly more power around what i have. (Maybe my current heads are just not a good candidate, i don't know) You can PM me, e-mail at mattpierce789@yahoo.com, or respond here.

If you got a used top end that will benefit me, let me know. I need options.

Re: Nitrous/Blower/Turbo???? [Re: shantyshakinstud] #1690065
10/24/14 05:05 PM
10/24/14 05:05 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Twin, large, turbo intercooled with good EFI injections on methanol alcholol will make a lot more power than your making now IHTHs,as far as the life limits on that combination in truck pulling that is something that really needs to be understood before deciding, IMO

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Nitrous/Blower/Turbo???? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1690066
10/24/14 05:50 PM
10/24/14 05:50 PM
alaska,usa
9secondsatellite Offline
mopar
9secondsatellite  Offline
mopar

alaska,usa
nitrous would be way more cost effective and easier to install. just a thought. you already have the parts to hold up to it, sounds like.

Re: Nitrous/Blower/Turbo???? [Re: 9secondsatellite] #1690067
10/24/14 06:30 PM
10/24/14 06:30 PM
Stuttgart, Arkansas
rickseeman Offline
master
rickseeman  Offline
master

Stuttgart, Arkansas
I agree with Cab. Twins on meth EFI would give you more than double the power you have now and use your heads.

2011 Drag Pak Challenger
Re: Nitrous/Blower/Turbo???? [Re: 9secondsatellite] #1690068
10/24/14 11:40 PM
10/24/14 11:40 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

nitrous would be way more cost effective and easier to install. just a thought. you already have the parts to hold up to it, sounds like.

you think it's cheaper but not in the long run. How many bottles would he go thru in a day? for the weekend warrior that runs a few times a year yes, but for somebody that goes out every week N02 can get expensive...that said the OP will have to swap pistons and cam for any kind of boost. I'd think for pulling a blower would work better than turbos, unless you can get them spooled up quick.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Nitrous/Blower/Turbo???? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1690069
10/25/14 03:35 AM
10/25/14 03:35 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Twin, large, turbo intercooled with good EFI injections on methanol alcholol will make a lot more power than your making now IHTHs,as far as the life limits on that combination in truck pulling that is something that really needs to be understood before deciding, IMO

That's an easy 10K upgrade, even without the intercooler, which you don't need with alky. Plus you don't see many turbo pulling trucks, at least we don't around here. Bound to be a reason for that. But, if it is truly an "Unlimited" class that you are thinking about stepping into, whatever you do with the motor you have, my thoughts are that you will be SERIOUSLY out horsepowered.

Monte

Re: Nitrous/Blower/Turbo???? [Re: shantyshakinstud] #1690070
10/25/14 08:09 AM
10/25/14 08:09 AM
SW WI
C
cudacustoms1 Offline
cudacustoms1  Offline
C

SW WI
Is this a 4wd or 2wd class. I have been pulling for over 20 years and have not seen nitrous used on any pullers. Probly because it is outlawed. There are a few twin turbo 2wd's around the country. It works but they don't seam to do as well as the blower motors. A blown motor is just more controlable coming out of the hole. What do you have for driveline? What are the trucks in .the open class running now?The best bet in my book would be to see if you could sell your motor and and buy a good blown veney headed hemi. It will be more money but in the long run you will have something that is competive in not only that class but other also. I have been where you are. If I can help message me. I use to run a blown indy weadge head in a 2wd several years ago. Now we run a veney headed hemi. If you want look it up on facebook. chad haggerty

Re: Nitrous/Blower/Turbo???? [Re: cudacustoms1] #1690071
10/25/14 05:13 PM
10/25/14 05:13 PM
Quebec, Canada
D
Diablo Offline
super stock
Diablo  Offline
super stock
D

Quebec, Canada
We really need more info in what the class rules are.

In the open class are people running Pulling tires and unlimited drivetrain?
Give us an idea of what others are using in this open class.
The dual turbo's is probably not the way to go in pulling. Some twd run them but the blowers rule all. With turbo's once you get under them you are done. And if your truck is hooking properly you should be seeing your engine pull down.

In the class you are in now what is the HP of the other guys you are trying to run against? This would give us an idea of what you will need to make the same with the mopar stuff. I also know of a engine out there that runs the 540 class that does very well. Might be for sale.
If you are thinking of just throwing a set of PSO heads on your short block you might as well forget it. unless you find a set out there you won;t be buying a new set. Also what ever head you go with you will have to be prepared to changed pistons.

Send us some more info and we can help you out. I've been fighting to keep up with the Mopar stamp for many years in the pulling world

Re: Nitrous/Blower/Turbo???? [Re: shantyshakinstud] #1690072
10/25/14 06:59 PM
10/25/14 06:59 PM
Pennsylvania
S
shantyshakinstud Offline OP
shantyshakinstud  Offline OP
S

Pennsylvania
Ok, thanks for the replies. Here is some responses.

The open class is pulling tires and open driveline. I know what I am getting into there, been pulling awhile. Currently they handicap blower trucks 600 lbs of weight and run lower hitch height, so although they got double horse power they dont do well. Aside from a few diesel hammers, the bad boy in the class is a nitrous truck with big cubes.

I have 10 yrs pulling naturally aspirated 540" class, thus I am dumb to nitrous. Wondered if it mattered that i have cast iron heads, and what shot, if any my bottom end is suitable for. Motor will be freshened before any changes.

I probably need 150 horse to get up with the couple guys beating me. I know pistons will be required whether I go to B1 or Indy 572_13, but again everyone tells me the 572_13 wont be enough over my current 440_1 set up. Current motor makes great power from 4500 to 6700 rpm, then falls off a cliff to 7400. Pulling is rpm and wheel speed for most part.

My class pays $225 to $250 to win. Open class is 900 to win, but 5th or 6th pays more than my class to win. Dont get me wrong, I want to win like everyone else, and I dont pull for the $, but an $8000 to $10000 upgrade for $250 may not be the best investment. I know a bottle wont put me at top of open class, just seeing if would be possible with my set_up safely.

I hear the survey telling me no turbo as cost effective for pulling. Thought maybe it would be due to all the diesel guys having so much luck, but thats probably comparing apples and oranges.