10/23/14 12:16 AM
10/23/14 12:16 AM
Southern Wisco
J
Jethrobodean Offline OP
Jethrobodean  Offline OP
J

Southern Wisco
65 original top. need to replace the elastic strap for the top to the rear window. Questions,Need to replace the elastic holding the rear plastic window up. Is the main top stapled to the rear bow? How do I remove the rear window top attachment to re-sew the elastic back on? anybody good with top replacement have any instructions? where can I buy the elastic that stretches width wise?

Re: 65 Convertible need help on restoring a original top. [Re: Jethrobodean] #1689477
10/25/14 09:52 PM
10/25/14 09:52 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Well, I guess I'll be the one to tell you what you don't want to hear...By the time you get a top off in that condition it's easier to install a new one and be done with it...I'm all for reusing all you can but that one looks too far gone and won't hold up to the procedure needed to repair it...I just took a 64 white convert top off a vehicle and it was in better shape than that but it's still crispy around the edges and not worth the hassle...

Re: 65 Convertible need help on restoring a original top. [Re: screamindriver] #1689478
11/16/14 12:56 AM
11/16/14 12:56 AM
St Louis, MO 63026
convx4 Offline
super stock
convx4  Offline
super stock

St Louis, MO 63026
I have a 65 coronet convertible with a white top. Its top was bad when I got the car. I replaced the top with one from Legendary. Not super happy with it. The under side was black not white like the original. This made me rattle can black the header and bows. The seams on the top were not smooth they have wrinkles in them. No amount of stretching or heat would remove them. I see this every time I get in the car when the top is up. I also bought a new boot. My original was fine but it had shrunk, putting extra stress on the clips and molding. The new one from legendary was worse. These are some things to look for when buying a new replacement top. If I were you keep what you got as long as you can.

You might be able to talk an upholstery shop in replacing the material above the window. You need to tell them you want to preserve the original top. Because they will want to sell you a new top install.

I have never seen a chrome strip like the one on you car before. Maybe some one has gotten under there and fixed the rear window before.

Last edited by convx4; 11/16/14 01:03 AM.