11/16/14 11:14 AM
11/16/14 11:14 AM
ON, Canada
A
AMC400Mopar Offline OP
AMC400Mopar  Offline OP
A

ON, Canada
It was explained to me by one of the body shop techs that the rust forms quickly because of the constant and severe heating and cooling cycles the frame is subject to right beside the catalytic converters.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: AMC400Mopar] #1686545
11/16/14 11:51 AM
11/16/14 11:51 AM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
I'll have to take a look at that area of the frame on my 2007 SRT8 when I do the exhaust swap next summer. It's not driven during the winter, but it was by the original owner for the first 3 years of it's life. Mine only have 47k miles and honestly, I've never been under the car.

Maybe it's just the pics, but it doesn't look that bad to me, definitely not enough to be a safety issue.

No longer taking $h!t from anyone!
Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1686546
11/16/14 12:29 PM
11/16/14 12:29 PM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Quote:

Something else must be happening here. Even a piece of bare metal on a var mot driven winters won't rot out like you describe.

It was discussed here in the past about steel brake and fuel lines rotting prematurely. It was brought up that MFGRS use recycled steel. Recycled steel certainly does not have the durability as virgin steel. I wonder if this plays in with this Magnum. I feel bad for the OP. Taking pride in a Dodge product- keeping it pristine and maintained just to face $$$$$$$$$$ to repair something that should not be. These scenarios drive brand loyal folks away- for good!

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: 2boltmain] #1686547
11/16/14 01:48 PM
11/16/14 01:48 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

It was discussed here in the past about steel brake and fuel lines rotting prematurely. It was brought up that MFGRS use recycled steel. Recycled steel certainly does not have the durability as virgin steel. I wonder if this plays in with this Magnum.

Dunno where you got that from, you'd be hard pressed to buy steel anywhere that didn't have recycled steel in it.

Also sounds like you have no idea how steel is recycled.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: Supercuda] #1686548
11/16/14 03:10 PM
11/16/14 03:10 PM
ON, Canada
A
AMC400Mopar Offline OP
AMC400Mopar  Offline OP
A

ON, Canada
I wish I could take better photos to show you all, but as mentioned it is a very difficult area to see let alone get good photos. It would be easier to take photos with at least the downpipes and cats removed.

I have had my car inspected by two trusted independant garages, the local chrysler dealer, two chrysler bodyshops and two independent bodyshops. I kept getting the same shocked look on the technicians faces when once they got my car up on the hoist, brought out the big lights and really saw the extent of the damage. It was estimated that over a foot of frame material on each side of the car adjacent to the catalytic converters was severely rust perforated.

The way Chrysler Canada has brushed me off, and their refusal to acknowledge the situation by getting other LX owners to bring in their cars for inspection, has really shaken my faith. My last vehicle was a jeep TJ, my wife drives a Nitro, my inlaws drive a Caliber...in the past 15 years I have owned a Jeep Cherokee and my wife had a Turbo Daytona. Heck, even my '74 AMC Javelin has a mopar engine and drivetrain in it!

I've loved the Magnums ever since the first 'Hey man, whattaya got in that thing?' TV commercial came out. I knew I'd get one someday. But now I am regretting selling my Jeep, which I sold to my neighbor when I finally found what I thought was a nice clean Magnum RT. I should again mention the staff and management at Niagara Chrysler, Performance Chrysler's bodyshop and Dixons Bodyshop (used by Rose City Chrysler)have all been kind and professional. To a man they were visibly upset to see what happened to my car and were concerned about my safety when driving it.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: AMC400Mopar] #1686549
11/16/14 03:48 PM
11/16/14 03:48 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Quote:

The way Chrysler Canada has brushed me off, and their refusal to acknowledge the situation by getting other LX owners to bring in their cars for inspection, has really shaken my faith.

It doesn't surprise me a bit. Playing devil's advocate here and by no means demeaning your concern, because I'm sure you are frustrated as any one in your position would be;

First, you have an old platform that was developed by a previous owner. By now the design or quality issue that caused it has been resolved so it's no longer a concern from a production or warranty stand point.

Second, Chrysler has enough problems with convincing the public that they build quality vehicles. It doesn't help that the public keeps citing old problems as a reason to hate Chrysler, dragging up a problem with a 10 year old car and creating their own recall would just add fuel to the fire.

Finally, if this is a known issue with the early LXs I'm sure Chrysler has done their research to determine if it is a safety concern, and if it was I'm sure they'd take action as a lawsuit over rusted frames would surely hurt their reputation, which already is been slow to heal.

The thing is all steel rusts eventual. Even though they have come a long way in rust prevention nothing is perfect. It's a 9 year old car with almost 100k on the clock, it's reasonable to assume it will have some rust.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: AMC400Mopar] #1686550
11/17/14 02:41 PM
11/17/14 02:41 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

It was explained to me by one of the body shop techs that the rust forms quickly because of the constant and severe heating and cooling cycles the frame is subject to right beside the catalytic converters.

I don't believe that one. If that were the case, any car out there with a cat or muffler getting hot would be rotting out frames and floors in all kinds of cars. I would bet there's water pooling in that part of the frame because of the way the frame steel overlaps internally. Then the freeze/thaw cycle sets in, exacerbated by the exhaust heat and it rusts out.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1686551
11/18/14 10:54 AM
11/18/14 10:54 AM
ON, Canada
A
AMC400Mopar Offline OP
AMC400Mopar  Offline OP
A

ON, Canada
I understand what you are saying. Believe me, I have owned lots of cars with rust problems over the years. But this is different. As someone quoted earlier in this post and originally over on the LX Forum

As quoted "I was the Service and Parts Director for the past 26 years at a metro Chrysler Jeep dealership and I can tell you I have seen this issue.
> The only vehicles I have seen this on were police vehicles, which in my opinion may be more alarming!
> Police have a tough enough job without worrying if their cruiser's frame is going to fail during a high speed chase at 100 MPH or more!
> Chrysler does know about the issue and it seems to effect only vehicles that are exposed to prolonged idling.
> The cats get hot and bake the e coat off the frame rails.
> The last one that I inspected was about 2 years ago and Chrysler did offer the local police department help.
> The offer was that the was to pay $1,000.00 betterment to have the frame rails replaced.
> The police department refused to pay for the defect and auctioned the cruiser to the highest bidder.
> Mopar does need to take action with this and at the least inspect all LX vehicles to be sure we are safe."

This isn't a witch hunt against Chrysler--I just want a known issue dealt with in my case, and to have Chrysler notify other LX owners to bring their cars in for inspection and repair as necessary. How many magnums/chargers/300s do you see in congested urban areas where they are subject to long periods of idling? How many of them share the same problem as my car, and the police cars the Chrysler service manager told us about? There is only one way to find out, and all it takes is a little pre-emptive action on Chryslers part.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: AMC400Mopar] #1686552
11/18/14 11:57 AM
11/18/14 11:57 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
While your frustration is understandable, I still think something else is going on here. Steel does not spontaneously rust just because it's hot. Not to the extent you describe. Especially on a car you say was not winter driven. If it did, exhausts and all kinds of other parts would be falling off cars left and right. I still believe water is collecting back there somehow. Possibly due to a design flaw.

Either way, that doesn't help you in this situation any. I just wonder how many more years you could have driven it and never noticed...

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1686553
11/18/14 12:06 PM
11/18/14 12:06 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

While your frustration is understandable, I still think something else is going on here. Steel does not spontaneously rust just because it's hot. Not to the extent you describe. Especially on a car you say was not winter driven. If it did, exhausts and all kinds of other parts would be falling off cars left and right. I still believe water is collecting back there somehow. Possibly due to a design flaw.

So, how young are you? Back before stainless steel exhausts the exhaust systems did routinely fall off left and right. Especially in high salt usage areas. How you northerners can live with new vehicles being deliberately destroyed by the use of salt on the roads is beyond me. I remember my old man's Buick having nothing between his feet and the road but carpet when it was about 10 years old. Hell, the trans cooling lines rusted thru.

Don't be the exception.
Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: Supercuda] #1686554
11/18/14 01:44 PM
11/18/14 01:44 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

Quote:

So, how young are you? Back before stainless steel exhausts the exhaust systems did routinely fall off left and right. Especially in high salt usage areas. How you northerners can live with new vehicles being deliberately destroyed by the use of salt on the roads is beyond me. I remember my old man's Buick having nothing between his feet and the road but carpet when it was about 10 years old. Hell, the trans cooling lines rusted thru.

You missed the part where he said the car wasn't winter driven?

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1686555
11/18/14 01:59 PM
11/18/14 01:59 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
I got off on a semirelated tangent with the salt issue. Exhaust systems rotted off without salt, too. My 72 Swinger needed a new tail pipe, San Diego car it's whole life. Found a brand new one in the boneyard, hmm.

Don't be the exception.
Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: Supercuda] #1686556
11/18/14 02:33 PM
11/18/14 02:33 PM
Canada
WO23Coronet Offline
master
WO23Coronet  Offline
master

Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Continual washing in the winter, and not focusing on the outside of the car but underneath where the real damage starts. Also liberal use of oil based sprays (WD40, fluid film, whatever)

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1686557
11/19/14 12:11 AM
11/19/14 12:11 AM
jersey
S
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He just bought a 9 year old used car. Can't be sure it wasn't driven in winter.

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: Spaceman Spiff] #1686558
11/19/14 01:15 AM
11/19/14 01:15 AM
N.W. Florida
F
Fat_Mike Offline
master
Fat_Mike  Offline
master
F

N.W. Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He just bought a 9 year old used car. Can't be sure it wasn't driven in winter.

Of course, but there's ZERO rust underneath this car other than right next to the cats on both sides. To me, the bottom line is that it's obviously a manufacturer's defect of some sort, but potential the monetary damage TO THE CORPORATION is far too exorbitant for them to accept liability for this case. It's a shame (for the owner), but I think we all understand why Chrysler Corp denies liability.

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: Fat_Mike] #1686559
11/19/14 04:16 AM
11/19/14 04:16 AM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

It's a shame (for the owner), but I think we all understand why Chrysler Corp denies liability.

I would venture to guess that the number of cars affected is actually very small compared to the production run. I would also guess that if the OP was the original owner it may have helped his case.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: slantzilla] #1686560
11/19/14 04:37 AM
11/19/14 04:37 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
I feel sorry for you but hey, the car is 9 + years old, your the second owner and it's got about 100,000 miles on it. I know what you want but come on . You made your complaint to the proper people. You have 3 options, sell it, fix it or scrap it. If you have it fixed, save the receipts . Maybe someday someone will file a class action lawsuit that you can get in on.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: rowin4] #1686561
11/19/14 08:41 PM
11/19/14 08:41 PM
rockford illinois
1970A13 Offline
super stock
1970A13  Offline
super stock

rockford illinois
Wow,no frame rust on my 05 300c,but most of the floor pan shields have rusted off,but what should i expect with 76K miles and 126 months old?it's time to trade!

Re: Magnum/LX platform frame rust? [Re: 1970A13] #1686562
11/19/14 10:11 PM
11/19/14 10:11 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Quote:

Wow,no frame rust on my 05 300c,but most of the floor pan shields have rusted off,but what should i expect with 76K miles and 126 months old?it's time to trade!

You live in Illinois and you don't expect a decade old car to have some rust?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5